Dog owners - ever hear of this?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Dog owners - ever hear of this??

As part of housesitting for my mom's boss last week, I got to hang out with Crusher, their big, blonde Golden Retriever (aka teddy bear come to life ) Absolute sweetheart...

Anyway, her "mom" had a few ideas about dog food that -frankly- I've never heard of before and wanted to know if anyone else had. Crusher's fed dry food, I'm not sure what brand (they're small triangle-shaped kibbles).

I had to soak the food in water for about 5-10 minutes, until some of the water was absorbed and then drain the rest out. This was supposed to reduce gas Then I added a tablespoon of low-fat strawberry yogurt, for better digestion (this kind of made sense, but dairy always made my dog sick).

Thoughts? Crusher appeared to be healthy, just a bit soft and out of shape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 08:36 AM
Premier Cat

I've heard that if you add water t the food it allows it to expand a little and it prevents excess swelling in their stomach. I suppose that could be connected to avoiding gas, but I don't know how much truth there is to this in the first place. Not sure why she uses strawberry yogurt either, that's a bit strange to me. I'd assume there are more sugars, etc. in strawberry yogurt, I'd much rather stick with plain.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Crusher "likes the strawberry better"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 10:14 AM
Cat Addict

My boss adds a little water to her dog's food b/c it makes a false gravy, which the dog loves.

Tina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 10:20 AM
Premier Cat

The gravy thing makes sense. I've done that with the puppy. In fact she's starting to get a little bratty when it comes to her food.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 10:25 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I've read a lot about Bloat which usually affect large breed dogs (of course I need to know about these things when I get my Great Danes ) and one of the *supposed* reasons dogs get Bloat is because dry food explands in their stomach quickly, releases lots of gases, etc. Oh... Bloat can kill a dog quickly if left untreated... really serious stuff.

Anyway, it makes sense that soaking dry food would help the process along, but I don't know how realistically it really works. I guess if her dog doesn't have gas its the way to go

Yogurt is supposed to have all sorts of good digestive bacteria in it, which may help the gas too... but I've also heard dairy can CAUSE gas in some animals. Hm.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 11:19 AM
Cool Cat

Well, since I am besotted with enormous, deep-chested dogs...

I've heard this (food-soaking) many times as a way of helping to prevent bloat...it helps take the "pop" factor out of kibble (it balloons so much in water because of the air trapped in the kibble as it's extruded...that air is why kibble seems to be so light compared to its size...compare to baked Wellness, which feels much heavier because it doesn't have air forced into it in an extruding process).

If the dog has bloated before, I wouldn't be surprised if this was a vet recommendation to prevent a recurrence. Also important is limiting exercise before and after eating, and many people also recommend raising the bowl, as well.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Interesting....it was a breeder suggestion, not a vet, but that makes sense if she's had a problem with her dogs. And Crusher doesn't exactly excercise, just goes out in the yard....
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 01:25 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to DylansMummy Send a message via MSN to DylansMummy Send a message via Yahoo to DylansMummy
My mum used to put water in with my old dog's dried food - he had a really sensitive stomach so he had dry food and a half tin of meat. It sounds fine food wise to me
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 01:38 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via AIM to Celeste_Eden Send a message via MSN to Celeste_Eden Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste_Eden
well, dogs are mammals, same as cats, so they can digest a small amount of dairy, so the yoghurt shouldn't be too much of a problem. i would be more worried about the sugar in it. i'd stick with plain yoghurt, which doesn't have sugar, and still has all the good enzymes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page