Hunting for My First Teaching Job *STRESS!* - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Hunting for My First Teaching Job *STRESS!*

I'll be graduating with my MA in English in May, so I am job hunting right now for the first time in my life. All my other jobs I've gotten by word of mouth, but now I'm having to research, plan by region, get together my CV/Resume, cover letter, references, statement of my teaching philosophy, transcripts...all of it. It's just time-consuming because you have to tailor everything to each institution.

On top of this, I'm taking all 3 grad seminars that are offered this semester and doing the course work for all of those, while holding down my part-time job in the dept., and trying to get together a 10-page essay to present at a conference at the end of Feb.!!!

What's adding to the stress is knowing that Jim and I are going to have to relocate wherever we find jobs (he's Information Technology, so we aren't too worried about finding HIM a job!!), so the thought of having to move and coordinate all of that is getting to me as well.

Ugh. I need some encouragement. It's so much to think about. I've always been one who gets whatever needs to be done, DONE and done on time. So, you can imagine how taking all of this on at once can take its toll.

Are there any teachers out there who have any advice on job-hunting. I'm looking at the community college level in the southeast (GA, NC, and VA). We are trying to stay in the North GA area if at all possible. That's where we are from and would like to move back there after graduation.

Thanks for listening Cat Forum Members! I've been holding off on the complaining, but I just couldn't hold it in anymore. I needed to vent a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 01:30 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to violina23
The great thing about teachers is that they are always in need and you can teach no matter where you are! I don't have much advice, being in the comptuer industry, but my sister is a teacher, and so just apply apply apply!

Good luck!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 02:06 PM
MA
Senior Cat

Oh congratulations on your forthcoming graduation. And what a wonderful career. You'll get through just fine - its only temporary.

BOKAHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 02:09 PM
Cat Addict

I do not have any advice, but I wish you all the best.

Tina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thank you all for the support. I got out 6 more job applications today. Hopefully one of them will work out! I'll keep you posted!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 06:24 PM
Jr. Cat

I wish I had some advice for you, but wanted to tell you that I feel your pain! I am graduating in May also with my elementary education degree and just now starting to begin the job hunting process. I am so nervous and stressed out about it. I would love to get a job at the school I'm student teaching at right now, but it doesn't look like they'll have any openings. It is so much work, isn't it? Anyways, best of luck! I am sure you'll find something!

Kelly & Oliver (and the husband too!) :c)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 06:36 AM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to lunarbishop Send a message via Yahoo to lunarbishop
Congrats!!! I'm stuck with a 2 yr degree right now beause I took a break- well a 4 yr break! But I plan on going back and finishing my teaching degree someday-possibly starting this summer again!!! Just keep your head up and remember that while getting all the required paperwork filled out; how happy the children you will be teaching will be in the fall! And how happy you will be teaching them!!! Good luck!!!!!

~bekki and daizy~

~bekki & daizy & aramis~
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKGirl009
I wish I had some advice for you, but wanted to tell you that I feel your pain! I am graduating in May also with my elementary education degree and just now starting to begin the job hunting process. I am so nervous and stressed out about it.
Well, good luck to you as well, UKGirl009! That would be great to get a position at the school you are student teaching at now. But, if that doesn't work out, I hope you find someplace where you are very happy. Let us know how it goes!

lunarbishop: thank you for the encouragement! Yeah, I'm trying to keep my "eye on the prize," as it were. I hope you do go back soon to get your 4-year degree. I love school and always have...so anytime anyone tells me that they are thinking about going back to school, I am so happy and excited for them. Good luck to you and please update us on your decision.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 09:18 AM
Premier Cat

Transition is so difficult!

I will keep you guys in my thoughts....all the pieces will fall into place
before you know it. I pray for you and Jim to get through the move
without much bickering. Relocating can be hard on any relationship.
Deep Breath!!! Have faith!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page