Extreme Makeover: Home Edition... question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition... question

I think we had a thread about the show a while back, but I didn't want to look it up.

I was watching it tonight, and as we do most times we watch these shows, me and my mom got into a discussion on how the family pays for the new home (or whatever new gifts they get).

I know there was the whole thing about Oprah giving everyone a car, then the disappiontment when they had to pay a bunch in taxes. Does this happen when they "give" someone a brand new home they build? I mean, if it does... these poor people are screwed! Some of the houses are amazing... and as far as a "gift" it'd be worth a heck of a lot of money.

I love the show and always end up in tears. They really do help out very deserving families... but to me it seems almost as if it becomes a burden to take care of the new homes. They're almost always much bigger and have all sorts of new technology... and all that costs money to keep running and in good shape. I know someone had solar power, and another (maybe same family?) had a barnload of hay donated to get their business back up and running... but still.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows more about how these shows end up AFTER cameras stop rolling. Do they really end up paying a ton of "gift' taxes like if they won a car? Does the show pay for that too? And if the show pays it... isn't THAT a gift too? Ok sorry... just really wondering!

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

On one episode I saw, they completely tore up the mortgage after they built the home so the new homeowners didn't have to necessarily pay for their new home. On another episode they told the homeowners that instead of paying on their new home, they just kept on paying the same payments as if it was their old home so their payments never went up. As far as the other episodes, and houses, and cars, I'm not sure. Would be nice to know though how this show can afford sooooo much!!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 09:09 AM
Premier Cat

I love to watch that show.......my sure fire way to cry at least once a week...which is healthy
I wondered about that too....maybe they have a website?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 09:24 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to CyberPet
Even if the mortage is torn up, they still have to pay for all the utilities, right? But maybe it's not too expensive.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 09:50 AM
Cat Addict

Re: Extreme Makeover: Home Edition... question

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsnobunnieO
I think we had a thread about the show a while back, but I didn't want to look it up.
LOL

I'm not sure about the house. But I've always had a plan (for when I win a car, of course). Say I won a car from Oprah. I'd sell it and then buy something cheaper and have the difference cover the taxes. Then I'd end up with a nice, new, free car that I picked out!

Tina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 10:08 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to BaileyAndSammi
mismodliz,
That's what my friend did when she won a car from Price Is Right. She sold the one she won, and bought a Lincoln Navigator instead.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 07:27 PM
Banned

probably the biggest increase in expenses in places where they have this (most places) would be PROPERTY TAX.

for example, if the house was originally worth $150,000 and they paid $2500 a year in property taxes, if the makeover raised its value to $300,000, after the local taxing authority reasesses the house, their property taxes are now $5000 a year.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 07:31 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to jonsgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPet
Even if the mortage is torn up, they still have to pay for all the utilities, right? But maybe it's not too expensive.
That's what I wonder everytime I see an episode where they install fountains and stuff like that in someone's yard. I wonder how long they would be able to maintain that stuff considering all of the new appliances and electronics already inside the house.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 08:32 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via AIM to Celeste_Eden Send a message via MSN to Celeste_Eden Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste_Eden
i agree with the property taxes, BUT, think about it, the peoples old house was probably not very efficient, they probably paid a lot more than they had too because maybe their windows were not energy efficient, or they didn't have good insulation in the walls and a lot of heat escaped, etc. well, when they rebuild the house, of course they're going to use top of the line insulation and building techniques and windows, etc that will keep as much eat in as possible, and probably come up with all kinds of energy-saving techniques to keep the power bill down.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 08:35 PM
Banned

yes...excellent point, the utilities on a new 3000 square foot house are NOT double the utilities on an old 1500 square foot house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page