post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

brocoli

is it better for u raw or steamed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via AIM to Celeste_Eden Send a message via MSN to Celeste_Eden Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste_Eden
raw. any sort of processing (cooking) begins removing and breaking down delicate nutrients and compounds. however, if you want to cook it, steaming is the best way to go about it. it leaves the most nutrients intact.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 11:32 PM
Cat

Send a message via AIM to JackieT
Best raw... but if you have IBD/IBS/Chrohns/Colitis sometimes best to serve cooked
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 08:46 AM
Cat Addict

Blanched for about 30 seconds in heavily salted water. Leaves the nutrients like it was raw, but brings out the gorgeous green color and seasons it so it tastes better.

OT: Jackie, I love your sig line.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 09:37 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieT
Best raw... but if you have IBD/IBS/Chrohns/Colitis sometimes best to serve cooked
Here, here! For those of us who CAN'T enjoy food as easily as others, broccoli is one of those " " foods! Grr! I like just the tops of steamed broccoli (even though all of the vitamins are in the stalk--but hey, I eat more healthy than most 20-something year olds, so I'm not worried) with some cheddar cheese melted on top. Mmm.

Broccoli can also be hard on people's digestion because they are LOADED with potassium!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 10:14 AM
Tom Cat

Send a message via AIM to Celeste_Eden Send a message via MSN to Celeste_Eden Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste_Eden
broccoli also has more vitamin C than oranges, and more calcium than milk (which really dosn't have hardly any digestible calcium anyway, but everyone seem's to think it does)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 10:27 AM
Cat Addict

I love cooked broccoli. I try to buy the fresh when I can and then cook it, but sometimes for convenience it's the frozen kind (with cauliflower and carrots).

In fact, I ate a huge side of that mix last night with dinner. I wasn't feeling to good later on, though. Beware... broccoli can do a number on your stomach! Usually it doesn't bother me b/c I eat it often enough, but I also drank 2 glasses of pop last night. My normal is about 1 pop a month. So don't try that combination if you aren't used to it!

Tina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 05:14 PM
Premier Cat

I love steamed broccoli! Which reminds me, I just had some at an American Buffet today for lunch. I don't like eating hard uncooked broccoli for salads or anything like that
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 09:01 PM
Cat

Send a message via AIM to JackieT
broccoli=gas
'nuff said
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page