Work rant ahead... SOME PEOPLE! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Work rant ahead... SOME PEOPLE!

Just a few of the crazy people we've had to deal with lately.

First, a few nights ago we had a call from a couple with three puppies. One was fine, one was lethargic, not eating, hadn't pooed in two days. The other was just as bad, and foaming at the mouth. And they had no money.

We agreed to see them and give them free new puppy exams for all three pups just to find out what was wrong, and go from there. I don't remember exactly what we found, but we gave some fluids and medication to the sickly ones. They worked out some sort of payment plan, but never came through with any of the payments... and they called again today because they were still having problems... and still had no money.

Now, what REALLY got to me was they KNEW they had no money, but have two full grown dogs. It wasn't even irresponsible breeding or anything, they went out and BOUGHT these three new puppies that they now can't care for!

Second. This man brought in a calico to be spayed. No biggie, right? He claims that WE spayed this cat two or three years ago, and it became pregnant! The cat we spayed of his was a long hair, this spay was a short hair and had no scar to be found. The doctor had a few words with him about accusing us of something like that while clearly it was a different cat, but did the spay free of charge and told him to kindly take his business elsewhere from now on.

I'll admit our prices are higher than most vets... but I can't believe HOW MANY people we have on a daily basis who bring in animals they simply don't have the money for. And to try and scam us with things like switching cats and blaming us when one is pregnant??

Some people mean well, I know they do... but SOME people... I swear!!

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 10:28 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
wow. That HAS to be horribly aggravating!! I can't stand listening to irresponsable pet owners whine about something they shouldn't have gotten into in the first place!! This guy has 5 dogs by what i understand, and can't afford to take care of them!!? That's just wrong.

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 12:18 AM
Senior Cat

Yeah it really irritates me too. we had one woman come in the other day with an outdoor male cat unneutered with a huge abcess on his face from fighting. We printed her up an estimate for the surgery (it needed to have a drain put in) and she signed it agreeing to the charges. After her cats surgery was over she refused to pay saying she "Didn't really think it would cost as much as we said" ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Then again we also get in great people, like today we had people come in from half the state away to get care for their sick 6 foot long iguana. They signed up for CareCredit plus paid immediatly once we gave them the estimate, and told us to put anything else on Carecredit that we thought might need to be done. They just wanted thier pet to get better, they didn't care how much it costs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 12:27 AM
Cat

Send a message via AIM to JackieT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payge
They signed up for CareCredit plus paid immediatly once we gave them the estimate, and told us to put anything else on Carecredit that we thought might need to be done. They just wanted thier pet to get better, they didn't care how much it costs.
Not to go onto a tangent but I LOVE CARE CREDIT!
I have it too, & "human" doctors, cosmetic, optmetrists, dentists, (many more I can't think of) takes it too.... I am thankful that Vets take it--- no worrying about emergency services--- in my mind a better alternative to pet insurance
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

So... about that calico...

Turns out the family had a longhaired calico that we spayed. Then it disappeared and came back a while later (3 weeks, 3 months... something like that) and they swore it was the same cat, only it had short hair. Their vet said "sometimes this happens" which I found really strange.

But its obviously not the same cat (unless the scar healed and she grew new organs). The wife explained the whole thing and I don't know if they ended up paying or not.

And we got a call today for a man with two six WEEK old kittens he wanted neutered and declawed... after he heard the estimate (and an explaination that we wouldn't do the surgery for another few months) he wanted to make it cheapter.... so he wants to do the declaws and NOT neuter because its just too much money!! I'm pretty sure the vets won't agree to that based on one's reaction... but just the thought..

Jessie

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 07:47 AM
Premier Cat

Aw, Jess, maybe you should look more and more into the pet sitting arena.
Seems like this job is just going to make you insane. I don't mean that in a bad way, I think many of us would feel the same way about having to deal with people like this on an every day basis. Being an animal lover yourself and then having to deal with irresponsible pet owners every single day has GOT to be frustrating!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Oh trust me, I dont' deal with these people... I work "behind the scenes" so to speak in the kennel and helping as an assistant outside of the rooms.

The receptionists have to deal with the people with no money, and I just hold the dogs while we try to save their lives. But hearing about the irresponsibility gets to me sometimes.

I LOVE my job, I really don't stress that enough sometimes. Its just so easy to get bothered by something one day and go off on a rant. I should always end them with "... but I REALLY do love my job!" because its true.

But the petsitting will most likely be a good change of pace on the side. I see all the dogs we board for a weekend or the holidays, and some do wonderfully... wag their tail any time you so much as look at them... can't wait to go for their walks, etc. Some don't eat the entire time of their stay, shy away from us in the cages, won't use the bathroom... its those dogs I really wish people would get a petsitter for. Its pretty much the same price (we do $20 a day for boarding) and it would be sooooo much better for their pet.

Jessie

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Premier Cat

I agree, those dogs should have a petsitter. Our Rottie used to get really depressed whenever we would go anywhere. She wouldn't eat for the first day or two and she'd literally just in one spot and do nothing. It was so sad. We always had our dog walker come several times a day because we just thought it was better to at least leave her in her own home rather then stress her out even more by taking her somewhere and boarding her.

I'm glad you still love your job. I was just worried that the people were beginning to burn you out, but now I just see that you are just confirming our suspicions about irresponsible pet owners and blowing off steam about them. I'd be doing the exact same thing!

What's wrong with these people!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page