Possible Petsitting :) YAY! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Possible Petsitting :) YAY!

I was outside walking a dog and talking to Adam, our head receptionist. I'll admit, he's not always my favorite person and I complain about him a lot... but I love him now!

He mentioned that he'd be pet sitting for a client tomorrow night and since for some reason or other the two pet sitters we refer clients to are no longer petsitting, we've had quite a few people looking for a new sitter. I told him I'd be really interested and he agreed! Said I was the kind of person he'd trust to refer people to

I think one visit is $13, two $22 and three $33 (per day). Something like $5 for each additional pet. Not too shabby for making some extra cash on the side since I only work about 30 hours a week and don't make a heck of a lot of money.

I'm available almost every day except Wednesday (class, lab, and work) and Thursday (my all day working day) but could drop by before work or school (around 7:30-8:00ish), and around lunch time (either on my way from lab to work, or on my lunch breadk at work) and I get off around 6:30, so after work is no problem. I also have Saturday and Sunday off from now on

He's had some interest in overnight stays, but since I've got my own furbabies I don't think I'd be too keen on doing that... unless it was well worth my while (I GUESS I could let Addison sleep with my mom now and then ).

So what do you think? Sounds great doesn't it?

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 09:22 PM
Premier Cat

It does sound great. Go for it!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 09:44 PM
Cat Addict

Yeah go for it. You never know what will happen, it might be something you might want to go somewhere with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 10:56 PM
Premier Cat

Couple of the pet sitting businesses here charge $60 for an over night.. one woman I was talking to who owns the business says she pays college students $30 of the $60 to get there around 6 or 7 PM.. walk the dog, check the mail etc and stay the night. Walk the dog before they leave at 6 or 7 AM in the morning.

Good luck on this new venture! Youd be perfect for this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 11:57 AM
Premier Cat

Sounds good. This would be perfect for some extra cash on the side and it wouldn't take up too much time out of the day
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I gave Adam my number tonight and he's going to print up some flyers... and I even get my own business cards hehe... I'm a dork

Jessie

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 08:38 AM
Cat Addict

Congratulations Sounds like a good opportunity.

~Shelly~

Zoee, Zack, Lamar & Mateo's mom
and Khan my Pit Bull Terrier
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

So I got the pamplet advertising thing he made for me today... and with a few minor changes to better suit me I thin its great!! A lot of things on it were some I'd never think to include without someone else asking for them...

what do you think?

Front page:
[email protected]
Pet Sitting and Much More
"Happy dogs stay home!"
with my name and number on the bottom

Page 1
"When you have to be away from home for a vacation, emergency or perhapse just due to a hectic work schedule, questions often arise about who will care for your pet. Whether it's for a day or a month [email protected] Pet Sitting can help!

Having your pet cared for at home has many advantages. Your pet gets to stay in an environment it knows, has the same diet and routine, and doesn't have to remain in an unfamiliar place with other animals. In addition, you get the assurance that a trained person who won't forget is taking care of your pet and that friends and neighbors aren't being imposed upon. As a side benefit, we can also bring in the newspaper and mail, water houseplants, and turn on lights in teh evening so the house look occupied.

[email protected] puts your mind at ease and allows you to carry on with life. Remember, a happy dog stays at home... and with [email protected] your pet will be very happy!"

Page 2
Fees and Services
1 visit per day - $13
2 visits per day $23
3 visits per day -$33
additional dog - $5 per day
additional cat - $3 per day

Holidays are an additional $5 per day:
Thanksgiving, Chrismas Eve and day, New Years Eve and day

Small animals - ask your petsitter
Feeding fish - no charge

and he had "outsdie regular route area - $5 per day" but I had him make a note to change it to something about a limited area and number of customers (to stress making reservations) because I have school 2 mornings a week and work 1 morning a week... and I'm fine going to houses early in the morning but don't want to do more than a few and won't drive all over town.

Page 3
Other Services Offered
Teeth brushed (willing pets) - $5
Nail trim - $10 (he had $9, but its a weird number, lol)
Brush (dog or cat) - no charge (he had ask your sitter, but I wouldn't charge for something like that)
Last minute reservation (less than 3 day notice) - $10
Cancellation (less than 48 hour notice) - $10
*no refund after services have begun
Vacuum last visit = $5 and up
Pick up mail/packages - no charge
take in newspaper - no charge
put out trash/recyclables - no charge
water small number of plants - no charge
water large number of plants - ask your sitter
water lawn - ask your sitter
adjust lighting/thermostat - no charge

He also had a $5 charge for each key pick up and drop off, but I told him to leave it off... since I'd need a key to get in I have no problem coming to pick it up
and also had $5 and up for pool maintenance... but I don't do pools! so he's taking that off also.

Back cover:
About Us
[email protected] consists of people who love animals and care about their well-being. We are committed to you and your pet and will give you the best care possible. Our job is to make your time away as stress free as possible for your pet and we will do our best to accomplish this goal! Call today for your reservation and make your dog a happy dog!

Now here's my only issue... I didn't ask him at work tonight, but will when I give him my list of changes... he said he had made the original brochure because his mother was thinking of doing something like this, so he was doing all sorts of research and getting prepared to help her, then she decided not to do it. So this whole "[email protected]" thing... I don't think it actually exists as a true business. I need to ask more details. I was thinking he just meant that if a client came to him asking about petsitters he'd mention me... I didn't realize it was SO MUCH information being given to clients... I just can't handle more than a few at a time.

But assuming I can do as few as I'd like and under my own guidelines and all... does all the pricing and whatnot seem ok? Anything else I should consider adding?

He also said something about paperwork the client would have to fill out... he had it all already. Hm... lots of questions to be answered

Jessie

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 07:39 AM
Premier Cat

Our "dog walker" does require paperwork to be filled out at first. Even when we got our new dog they came over to meet her and took down some information for her the weekend before they started walking her. They also had us let them come in and out of the door a few times to let her know it was "okay". You may want to put a note about initial visit being required before services begin.

I personally, don't think that a "last minute" visit is 3 days in advance. We can add on or cancel up until the day of. I realize our pet sitters may be a bit leanient, however, I personally think 24 hours is more suitable.

The typos don't matter because you were probably just reading off the sheet and typing it on here, right? Or did you copy and paste it - if so, let me know and i'll point out the ones i found.

I think the concept is great, he did a lot of research and it shows. In my opinion the wording could be a condensed or some descriptives, etc. could be eliminated/reworded. For example, this paragraph:

When you have to be away from home for a vacation, emergency or perhapse just due to a hectic work schedule, questions often arise about who will care for your pet. Whether it's for a day or a month [email protected] Pet Sitting can help!

Maybe more effect if it read more along the lines of this:

When away from home due to a vacation, emergency or hectic work schedule, concerns often arise about the care of your pet. Whether your trip lasts a day or a month, [email protected] Pet Sitting can help.

Of course, I'm not suggesting it say exactly that, but that would be my suggestion. Something that is VERY important to me when I am reading a pamphlet about services is that it comes across professional and buttoned up. Especially if I'm going to be trusting these people in my home! *ducking bullets*

First page/cover, second paragrah:
Having your pet cared for at home has many advantages. Your pet gets to stay in an environment it knows, has the same diet and routine, and doesn't have to remain in an unfamiliar place with other animals.

Same suggestion above, but also, he brings up all the key advantages to having your pet stay at home, however, how about marketing this toward them being able to do something *nice* for their pet. I know that sounds stupid the way I worded it, but right now it looks as though you are trying to convince them of the reason to use a pet sitter rather than board, etc. - while we all know that IS the purpose you can put a spin on it that may be more appealing. Such as:

"Allowing your pet the opportunity to receive care at home......."

With this wording, they feel like they are making the decision and they are the ones who are deciding that it's better to have someone come to their home and they aren't doing it just because you are telling them to.

Um, about that key thing....if you guys really run with this...I know many pet sitter services do provide a lockout service. Not sure if you are interested in that or not, but if you have regulars and one of them locks their keys in the house, they'd be able to call you and for like 25 bucks or something, they can call you and you can let them in. It's cheaper than a locksmith, is a comforting service to offer to people and frankly, it doesn't happen that often.

On the back cover, he also refers to you guys as "people". You may want to consider rewording that to something along the lines of "staff", "trained animal enthusiasts" - whatever, but not just "people".

*dodging more bullets.....and I think that last one was a tomato*

Seriously, I think it's great - he DID a lot of research. And, that's a good point about whether "Happy @Home" is a real business or not. You may not want your name attached to something like this only to find out there already is a business with this name....YIKES

Another thing to think about...do you really want YOUR name and number on these flyers? If this is his thing and you were only thinking of kinda signing on as needed, you may not want all these people calling you because chances are people will call and request timeframes that are not condusive to your schedule. Perhaps he should get the calls and filter the appointments first? Just a thought.

Good luck. This sounds like so much fun. I'm jealous!

[/i]
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 09:11 AM
Premier Cat

AddFran I want you to help me when I set up
a business! Those were all great suggestions.
I will be needing a dog sitter in the future so
it was interesting to hear the services and
how they handled it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page