Getting New Braces!!!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via AIM to JackieT
Getting New Braces!!!!!

I am soooooooooooooooooo excited!!! I am getting braces on Febuary 16th(well, technically signing the contract paperwork&making the whole payment of $4,000)

I wish my parents got them for me when I was younger(I am 25)

I will finally be proud of my smile-- I am always too embarrassed to smile with teeth showing

I know most people are embarrased by braces--- NOT ME--- I will be smiling SOOOOOO WIDE everyone will know what I have going on

I am not looking forward to the first stages-- my dentist said he may have to pull 2 teeth, because I have wayyyyyyyyyyyy too much overcrowding-- & my jaw is too small for the teeth I have! Ick I HATE TEETH EXTRACTIONS! Just had my Wisdom teeth pulled December 12th--- had open socket on #17 & #32 + found out I am allergic to Hydrocodone-

Anyone out there want to tell me about your (positive) braces experience? What should I expect in the begining?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 11:31 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via AIM to Celeste_Eden Send a message via MSN to Celeste_Eden Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste_Eden
i never had braces (i'm blessed with straight, even teeth) but my best friend did. she hated them. she always had sores in her mouth from where the ends of the wires dug into her cheeks, and when they tightened the wires, it hurts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 10:12 AM
Jr. Cat

I got braces around October, actually got the top ones then a few weeks later got the bottoms. Just to let ya know I am 26. When I got the top ones on it felt so weird. I did swell a little and it hurt at first. Make sure that you have the wax they give you on hand at all times!! When they put the bottoms ones on it was alot better. The only problem I had with the bottoms is the little hook at the last tooth that would irriate me. You will get sores in your mouth and I use just over the counter stuff and it helps.

They say don't eat certain foods, well I have learned, hee hee, that you can eat just about anything and have your tooth brush on hand. I wouldn't eat anything to hard. They say chips are a big no-no, I eat them all the time. I haven't tried caramel, gummy bears, or anything like that. I am afraid too!!

I have had mine for about 4 months now and my teeth are almost straight. They move really fast. My top teeth weren't too bad but my bottoms were really crowded. They are almost straight.

I love my braces but it will take awhile to get used to them. When I got my wires tightened it bothered me for like a day and that's it. Good luck with them and if you have any more questions I will be happy to answer them!!

Jamie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Cat Addict

I'm planning to get them. I was going to go in first of the year, but with the move, it's been pushed back. Once we get settled into a routine in our new city, I will go in and get them put on. I'm really dreading it, but I keep telling myself that they sooner I get them on, the sooner they can come off. I'm 25, so it's time to get the ball rolling.

I hope I don't have to have any more teeth pulled! I had my wisdom teeth out last Nov., and it was a horrible process. I do have a lot of crowding/overlapping on the bottom, though.

Tina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 12:12 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to lunarbishop Send a message via Yahoo to lunarbishop
I had them when i was younger and it was horriable. I already had weak teeth from a childhood sickness and it turned out that the cement they used on my teeth to secure the braces dissolved my teeth because i was allergic to it. I have to have so much dental work now its not even funny. I've already had 6 teeth corrected but I have 6 more to go and 3 extractions (two of those are remaining wisdom teeth- one tooth that there's hardly anything left cause of a bracket the orthodontist put on to widen my jaw). I was tortured when i was 12-13 and 14. Since you said you were allergic to hydrocodone make sure there is nothing else you are allergic to before they start with the cementing! other than the wires and the jaw widdening it wasn't to terriably bad....but i wish i could sue the orthodontist, they should have tested me before they used anything, but i can't its been too long, over ten yrs and not sure if he is in practice anymore. good thing i have a great dentist now who has tested me for everything under the sun when it comes to dental work! hope this hasn't scared you or anything, just my experience with them!

~bekki and daizy~

~bekki & daizy & aramis~
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 01:04 PM
Cool Cat

i've had so much work done in mouth, it's not even funny. they actually had to widen the roof of my mouth before i got braces, so they glued this thing to my teeth, and we had to turn it with a key every night. (i was in like, 3rd grade at this point.) they told me it wouldn't hurt. the first time my dod turned that key, i SCREAMED. i mean, it basically seperated the top of my mouth. after that it didn't hurt though.

anyway, then i got braces, which really weren't that bad. the wax comes in handy for those pokey places, and i didn't pay any attention to the do not eat list. just be careful, and if it's getting sticky, sometimes you gotta pick it out with your fingers. but changing the wires isn't bad, just annoying.gettign them off is weird, i was a fraid a tooth was going to come off with the bracket!

-faile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

artistry by ForJazz
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 01:55 PM
Cat Addict

I didn't have any major problems with braces, other than I found out that they caused my first migraines!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 04:18 PM
Cool Cat

I got my braces about 2 years after all of the "cool kids" had theirs, but I was still happy to have them because, as I grew up, I developed "Vampire Teeth." My two eye teeth were stuck up above my other teeth, so it looked like I had fangs. I was really self-conscious about my smile and would often cover my mouth when I laughed.

I got mine when I was 15 and got them off in about a year and a half. I remember the sores on the inside of my mouth from my skin rubbing on the metal, but that didn't happen often. I also remember being worried about eating in public because of the food getting stuck in the braces.

All in all, though, even today, I'm still happy my parents were able to get them for me. I also had to get 2 teeth pulled to let my eye teeth drop down. Make sure whoever pulls your teeth does a good job, though, because I had to have a root canal a few years ago, for an abcess that they thought could have been due to the job the dentist did on pulling those teeth!

Make sure to keep your teeth and around the brackets clean! I still spots on certain teeth from not brushing and flossing as often as I should have. One day, when we're making the big bucks, I think I'll get veneers put on my teeth!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 04:30 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via AIM to Celeste_Eden Send a message via MSN to Celeste_Eden Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste_Eden
i am just now getting my wisdom teeth in, just on the top. there's enough room for them, but because they're not coming in on the bottom too, and there's nothing for the top ones to rub against, i will need to get them pulled. yay.......
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 05:04 PM
Cool Cat

lolakitty had a very good point on brushing and flossing. i didn't floss as well as i should have, and as a result, my gums were swollen, in the very very early stages of gum disease. i've actually had gum surgery twice to cut them back. super fun, let me tell you that.

-faile

artistry by ForJazz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page