I have the names and tank for my tetras! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
I have the names and tank for my tetras!

The names are Andy, Becky, Charlie, and Dixie. I bought that 10 gallon tank that Ianthe told me about. I have thank tank today. I got it yesterday. We are going to set it up so maybe Monday we can get the fish. That way it went through it's cycle. Yay!!!!!

*~*~*Megan*~*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 03:12 PM
Cat Addict

Yay!!!!!! You must be so excited!!!! Wasn't that a great deal on that tank??? I'm glad you found it. I have to warn you, that while the tank will be cycled as far as the water temp, etc, being stable, the real cycling doesn't begin until you have fish in there. The cycling process is when you start with a clean, new tank, with no bacteria in it, and then add fish. The fish start pooping in the water, which causes a sudden spike in bacteria levels.....this often kills off the first fish you have in the tank. After a while, the bacteria levels will level out, and further fish you get will be safe. They DO have chemicals you can add to the water to speed up/avoid this process. Alot of people are against this, but I have used this in my last 4 tanks, and have avoided deaths..... I believe I have had about 3 deaths altogether in the cycling process of all 4 tanks. Here are some links:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...=1107633974384

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...=1107634096096

http://www.petco.com/product_info.as...Additives&ct3= (this is the one we used)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Yeah that was a good deal on the tanks. I am really excited. Right after I reply I am checking out the link you used. Thanks Ianthe.

P.S. Did you get my last PM???

*~*~*Megan*~*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 05:50 PM
Cat Addict

Yeah, I did get your PM- I just haven't got a chance to reply yet. Thanks for everything, though!!!! And I hope the links are helpful.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Trust me the links ARE helpful!
Ianthe WRote:
Quote:
Thanks for everything, though!!!!
No Problem Ianthe. My mom was happy to help and if you have any other questions PM me and say that the PM is for my mom with the questions you know what I am saying.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 06:15 PM
Cat Addict

Did you check out the links? Basically it introduces ready-made established bacteria into the tank, so the tank avoids the cycling process (or most of it). It allows your new fish to go right into a "cycled" tank.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to AmberD
Here's an article about "fishless cycling," and there are plenty of others on the web:

http://www.algone.com/fishless_cycling.htm

Just so you know, most pet stores will test your tank water for free and tell you where you are in the cycle and when you can start adding fish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page