Chicago Dog Theft Warning - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Chicago Dog Theft Warning

I know that this is a CAT forum, but a lot of us have dogs or have friends/family with dogs and I thought this was important to pass along to all my animal loving friends.

About 15 minutes ago the BF and I were walking with Ava down the street to pick up a pizza. A police officer was driving by and actually rolled down her window and stopped us. She told us that there have been numerous dog thefts lately and to make sure we didn't tie up Ava outside anywhere...EVEN if you can see her from the window.

I know that probably sounds a little crazy to some of you, but it's very common for people with friendly and well behaved dogs to "tie" their dogs up outside a store or coffee shop and go inside to get their drinks, etc. I've done it at Starbucks numerous times with our old dog, they even have doggie designated tie-out areas at some local businesses around here. I'd tie her outside, get my coffee and then sit at the outside tables and read the paper with my dog sitting by my side. It's a very dog friendly city and it's very common to see this, but this sure does make me think twice.

Anyway, the police officer said that they are having a lot of dog thefts lately and the dogs are being used as "bait" in dog fighting rings. I wasn't exactly sure if I understood what "bait" was, but it was exactly as I suspected (I looked it up). They take all these stolen dogs and use them as "bait" to test out the fighting instincts of their fighting dogs. How disgusting. She told us to pass the word around...so I thought this would be a good place to do so.

We live in Chicago in the Lakeview neighborhood in particular, however, this could happen anywhere. Please be careful, and pass the word around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 12:25 AM
Premier Cat

Can we cut and paste this to other forums? Or would you rather we not?

How awful that this is happening. The people who do dog fights have cold evil hearts to watch animals suffer like that plus to steal dogs and the grief and hurt it causes. But Im sure they could care less.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 08:23 AM
Premier Cat

Lets invent dog leash locks....you know like bicycle locks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Yes, feel free to cut and paste it to other forums. Absolutely.

Dog leash, locks good idea!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 09:18 AM
Premier Cat

Are you innovative at all?
I'm not...I wouldnt know where to start with something
like that....but if you ask me it sounds like a good idea.

I know that alot of parts of the country it is common for
people to tie dogs outside of stores.

I would buy one!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 09:23 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscosMum
Hmmm, the leash couldn't be made of an easy-to-cut material, so that leaves out the majority of leashes.

I think if they started making leashes out of that carbon cable stuff (it's stronger than steel, supposedly and I believe can be as thin as a piece of thread, or thinner). That would prevent cutting the leash and make the lock even more useful.

Or I just put WAY too much though into it.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Premier Cat

Im sure the owners of businesses are aware of what is going on with dogs and would allow them inside.

Im of the persuasion "its easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission." I just take my friends dog in with me when Im dog sitting him. No one has ever said anything to me. Mostly everyone comes out and oooohs and ahhhhhs about him.

PS I cross posted your information on greytalk.com
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscosMum
Hmmm, the leash couldn't be made of an easy-to-cut material, so that leaves out the majority of leashes.

I think if they started making leashes out of that carbon cable stuff (it's stronger than steel, supposedly and I believe can be as thin as a piece of thread, or thinner). That would prevent cutting the leash and make the lock even more useful.

Or I just put WAY too much though into it.
Um, yeah, me too, on the way to work in the car this morning, I was thinking about the exact same thing and was even thinking that you could probably make it flat and put regular leash fabric on top, so you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 02:03 PM
Banned

Just a better idea to not take your dog anywhere you will have to leave it. I would only go into a shop if there was someone else to hold the dogs. Thefts are becoming more common over here too, the biggest new thing seems to be kidnapping pedigree puppies, and then giving it back to claim the reward offered.

On a lighter note, I have only tied Elliot up once - to my front garden gate for some bizarre reason I can't remember. Cue garden gate coming off its hinges and chasing Elliot up the street, him screaming like a banshee!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

That's the way we are going to have to do it, Emma. It just stinks, because I enjoyed the quite days of relaxing with a cup of coffee outside with the dog, while I sat at a table reading the paper, ya know?

Now....I'll have to bring the BF with me every time I want to bring the dog!

Can't a girl have any time alone with her puppy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page