Do you think a dog could be affected nervousness? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Do you think a dog could be affected nervousness?

I’ve been talking about getting a dog for a while – and while I research and wait for one to become available – I’m getting just a tab bit nervous.

I won’t probably get him/her for a while… so not rushing! Hehe.

I felt the really nervous when I first brought Halifax home. It took me a good week to finally calm down around him. If the same scenerio played out - would that affect how I bonded with my dog or what?

I’ve just never owned one before except through family dogs. I just want to ask a lot of advice before I really screwed something up by acting all funny.

Aimee aka "Kitty"
"Not all who wander are lost." -Tolkien
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 12:10 AM
Premier Cat

What kind of dog do you want to get? Join a forum
like this with others who have dogs and that would
give you a head start. I belong to a greyhound forum
since I want to adopt a greyhound in the near future.
Ive learned alot and they are all very supportive of
each other and lots of imformation there
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 02:00 AM
Banned

DOgs do pick up on feelings of anxiety and fear. I don't think it will affect how you bond if you get a confident, friendly dog, who will more than likely try to comfort you. Why is it you feel so nervous and scared?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 02:44 AM
Cat Addict

I think I know what you mean. I have had cats my ENTIRE life, but my mom doesn't like dogs....so I had no experience with dogs before I got Howie. I had only lived with ONE dog, a beagle puppy we had for 8 months and then had to re-home. I was a vet tech, so I WORKED with dogs all the time...but thats a lot different than actually having one in your home! And they ARE very different. I know when we first brought Howie home I was all paranoid about a million things. He was old, and I kept watching his chest to see if he was breathing. He came to us already trained, so I wasn't TOO worried about that, but I had no idea how I would go about training him if he turned out not to be. I had no idea how often he would need to go out, so I took him out like, every two minutes for the first week. I kept wondering if he was eating enough or if he was drinking too much or too little. I worried about how much he slept. I was also so worried that he would feel scared or lonely in his new home. And yes, I'm sure he DID pick up on what a basket case I was. I truly believe, that on some level, he knew that he was my first dog and that I was a nervous wreck and had no clue what to do...and that he tried to help ME through those first weeks as much as I tried to help him. He just went ahead and patiently let me take him out a million times a day, and everything else I did....I'm sure he was laughing to himself. Pretty soon, you won't be able to remember what your life was life before you had your dog, and dog-owning will come just as easily to you as cat owning...I promise.

Here is mine:

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 05:06 AM
Premier Cat

That is such a sweet story Ianthe..
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 05:16 AM
Tom Cat

Get a dalmation, no nervousness could ever above there own.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 10:29 AM
Cat Addict

Dalmations are very hyper dogs. They need alot of attention and exercise.

~Shelly~

Zoee, Zack, Lamar & Mateo's mom
and Khan my Pit Bull Terrier
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_pen
DOgs do pick up on feelings of anxiety and fear. I don't think it will affect how you bond if you get a confident, friendly dog, who will more than likely try to comfort you. Why is it you feel so nervous and scared?
I know this sounds really dumb... but I'm worried that I might not be a good enough mom for them. Little worries like: What if I don't feed him enough? What if I feed him the wrong thing? What if he gets sick - how will I know? Will I be able to train him correctly even with classes?

I also spent a good deal of time with Halifax when he first came here. I sat in the bathroom with him and played with him (nearly shaking the entire time because I was afraid I would hurt him). I read to him a little too (that helped a bit). But I was worried I might not be able to train him to be a good boy and make him happy.

I got over it eventually - but I think the process is going to start over with a pup - my stomach is doing bellyflops just thinking about it hehe.

Pretty much - just like Ianthe hehe.

Aimee aka "Kitty"
"Not all who wander are lost." -Tolkien
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 10:37 AM
Premier Cat

You know what? If you are that nervous about it, a GSD may not be the right match for you. They need a guardian who is definitely confident and experienced. Not to say that you can't do it, I just don't think I'd really recommend one to the novice dog owner. I wasn't thinking about that before.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 02:06 PM
Banned

Oooh, I didn't realise you were after a Shepherd. I'd probably agree with AddFran on her note regarding the breed - they really do need confident, firm owners. What traits are you looking for in a dog?

Ems x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page