Clearly Canadian sodas now contain sucralose(Splenda) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Clearly Canadian sodas now contain sucralose(Splenda)

Clearly Canadian sodas now contain sucralose(Splenda) and only about half as much sugar. They didn't change the front label, so I guess they thought many people wouldn't be able to tell the difference or would find the difference negligible. I definitely think it doesn't taste as good (and also I like sodas to have the regular amount of calories).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 08:31 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
That's dissapointing I love Clearly Canadian... I get it as a treat for myself pretty often (I don't drink pop and such very often). Does it really taste THAT different?!

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 08:42 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via AIM to Celeste_Eden Send a message via MSN to Celeste_Eden Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste_Eden
clearly canadian has had half sugar half splenda for as long as they've had the new bottle design, which has been years. it tastes the same as it always has.

my mom uses splenda in almost everything because my dad's diabetic, all it changes is the texture in baked items. everything tastes exactly the same. i think the only difference in taste is in your head now that you know they use splenda.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 09:10 PM
Premier Cat

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 09:21 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via AIM to Celeste_Eden Send a message via MSN to Celeste_Eden Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste_Eden
just wanted to point out that the article above was put out on March 1st, 2000. almost 5 years ago, meaning i was right
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 09:31 PM
Cool Cat

I can't tolerate any artificial sweeteners other than saccharin (and even that's not great), they give me nasty migraines. I was bereft when Tab started using aspartame (I felt like doing a Gilda Radner-esque rhapsody to Sweet-n-low). Sucralose, IME, is the worst of the lot...at least as far as my body is concerned...it's absolute murder on me, and these days I have to read labels really carefully because everything is stuffed with Equal, Sucralose, or Ace-K.

My personal treat beverage is Reed's Extra Ginger Brew ginger beer. Nummy, nummy.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 09:33 PM
Premier Cat

I think it's awful too. I had a piece of Apple pie this thanksgiving that was made with it and I didn't know that we were having an experimental pie, so I suffered through most of it before someone finally fessed up and said..."Mom, this is awful" (thank goodness ) Then BF's mom said, "Yea, I tried making it with Splenda".

It was really thin too, it didn't hold together like a real pie does. BLECH!

I once made an "apple pie" with Ritz crackers and some other stuff that you wouldn't ordinarily make a pie with. It didn't have any apples at all in it, but tasted like it did. Strange. It was part of our Science class in 8th grade.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 09:35 PM
Tom Cat

what kind of pie is it? because my mom has made all kinds of fruit pies, and pumpkin, with splenda, and you can't tell the difference.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 09:38 PM
Premier Cat

The pie we had at Thanksgiving? Just an apple pie with splenda instead of sugar. Maybe you get used to it or something, because this was clearly different and we all noticed it.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 09:43 PM
Tom Cat

hmm......we use the little packets that are much more concentrated than other types of splenda. 24 packets is equal to a cup of sugar. i pretty much couldn't tell the difference the first time she used it. she didn't use splenda in the crust, did she? my mom always uses store-bought crusts, then grates or slices up apples, tosses them with splenda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and some lemon juice, adds them to the pie crust, and bakes until the apples are tender and the crust is golden, and that's it. same with berry and other fruit pies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page