My blood pressure has skyrocketed!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

My blood pressure has skyrocketed!!

I went to my doctor for a follow up on some bloodwork I had done. I missed the origional appt. because I was dealing with the trauma/drama that was going on with my cat. So it's been about 4 months or so.
Never ever has my blood pressure ever been higer than 120/70 give or take a point. The nurse took my pressure and it read 150/90. Even she was shock and told me to sit back and relax and she'd take it again after a bit. Again, it was 148/90.
What could cause such a drastic change in such short time? The doctor just wrote me a script and didn't even discuss why that could have happened. Could me being terrified of losing my cat after all he's been through cause this? Does stress do that in that short amount of time? It's only been since Sept.

It's easy to understand what cats want, just listen to what they say...MEeee NO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In loving memory of Bugs, forever I will miss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 04:36 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to jessamica8
I'm sorry to hear that - you don't need anymore problems right now.

Only since September? 4 months of constant stress is certainly enough to alter your blood pressure reading temporarily - doesn't mean it's permanent, though. Were you having a particularly stressful day? If you've been really worried and stressed since Sept, I wouldn't be surprised to see a change in blood pressure, but my guess would be that it will level off eventually, as your life calms down. A permanent change would involve a more prolonged exposure to stress, or other major problems.

I hope it's just temporary, and something that can be helped by some relaxing.

I can't believe your doctor felt it was serious enough for a prescrip, and yet never discussed t with you. I wonder if you could call or go in for another visit to discuss this? Or else I would get another opinion, just to feel safe.

Please keep us posted ... I think about you and Bugs all the time, and hope you both the best.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ Jessica, Jax, Tilak & Harley~
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 06:05 AM
Cat Addict

May I ask how old you are? I developed type 2 hypertension at age 30 and have been on meds ever since. Heredity plays a big part in my case. Doctors now realize that high blood pressure is no longer an 'old' person affliction and many actually develop it at a much earlier age but it often goes undetected and untreated because people in their 20-30's are 'healthy' and do not need regular doctor visits and maintenance meds.

My pressure was much higher than yours and I was literally a walking time bomb. Mine was so high I was having hallucinations and vision problems. I feel much better now.

I would definiately follow up on it, they don't call it the "silent killer" for nothing. Tis serious stuff.

-steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 09:07 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to violina23
Consider adding some exercise to your routine, if you haven't already... I always had good blood pressure (always around 120/80 or so) and since I started exercising frequently, my blood pressure has even gone down, the last time i had it checked when I went to donate blood, it was 102/68! No wonder they had more trouble than usual getting blood out of me

My mother is going through the same thing: she used to have fine blood pressure, but lately it's been high and she's been monitoring it. Definitely try to cut back on stress... my mom is always worried about something and I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 09:17 AM
Cat Addict

Have you been drinking alcohol frequently or more frequently? Continued use of alcohol can have an effect on your blood pressure.

This is my only thought as everyone else has offered medical problems and stress.

Tina

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 09:34 AM
Premier Cat

I hope it will lower itself.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Yea, I wish my doctor would have discussed it with me also. I'm on SSI, so I get what I get as far as doctors go. With all the doctors specializing in so many different areas how can any one of them give a diagnosis for something so complicated. I would think so many different factors could be the cause that if, knowing my history were important, then how can giving me a prescription with no explanation be right without first talking with all my doctors?
I don't know if that even made sence, but anyways I'm 49 and don't have any real health issues except cancer in 1991. I've been fairly carefree and wild alot of those years but quit smoking 7 years ago and i don't drink alchohol. bBeen know to take ephederine and various diet pills but more for the energy than weight loss. Part of chasing the cancer out of me required a radical hysterectomy and hormone replacement was not something I was able to do, due to cancer. So, unfortunately, I suffer from various ailments from being left with no overies. One of them is Cronic Fatigue Syndrome. But, I do take vitamins and Fosomax for calcium.
The thing I do, and this is probably the worst thing I'm doing, is imagine all the things that might be going on in my body. For example, my hands and feet have been getting tingley so I think it could be because my bloods not circulating properly. OR I feel a tightness in my neck by my jugular vein and I think it could be because a blood clot is forming.
That's just what I should'nt be doing and I don't know how to stop!!
Today my BP was 150/84. The doctor prescribed Coreg

It's easy to understand what cats want, just listen to what they say...MEeee NO
In loving memory of Bugs, forever I will miss.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 02:17 AM
Cat Addict

I'm currently on Norvasc and Diovan HCT, and still occasionally borderline high in teh 140/90 range, but mostly around 120/80. Make sure you tell your doctor anything you may be taking, OTC drugs , herbals and vitamins too. I used to take Sudafed, etc. for colds and with my BP that was very dangerous. I can't take any cold remedies at all now. I had some serious side effects with the meds at first. Norvasc made me feel like I was stoned all the time and the Diovan made me pee like crazy, but I don't notice them at all now, exept when I forget to take them I get splitting headaches. Nice little reminder I guess.

I think you will notice that you feel and sleep better once they get yours under control. I know I sure did.

-steve

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 07:32 PM
Cool Cat

I remember I was taking Sudafed when I went for my annual to get my birth control pills. My pulse abd BP were so high that they wouldn't prescribe me the pills until I came back later! I don't take Sudafed anymore...it's just kinda scary.
Myfamilia, it has been proven that you can lower your BP just by being in tune with your body (note this only lowers it a little bit...not a lot). But anyway, I would try to learn some stress management techniques. When you start freaking out about an odd body sensation, try take really deep breaths for about 10 breaths and it will make you feel better. You can also learn body relaxation techniques where you "teach" your muscles how to relax and not be so tense. It really does help, although I don't practice it as much as I should.
Do a search on the internet and you should be able to find more info.

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page