Elmo my glowlight tetra died this morning :cry: - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Elmo my glowlight tetra died this morning :cry:

Elmo my glowlight tetra died this morning. I am upset. *crying* *crying really hard*. Becky my serpae is flipping out, going on her side, hitting the bottom but she looks fine and her breathing is fine. She just won't eat either.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 01:33 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Catlover, is this your new tank? Have you used any chemicals, such as water clarifier in the tank? Tetras can be quite sensitive. Perhaps a gradual water change would help. I don't want to upset you, but it's possible that Becky will also die. I know how you feel. I treasure life, and am heartbroken to see any living thing die. However, with fish, it happens, and we have no choice but get used to this loss or give up the hobby. I wish you the very best of luck.

I lost a whole tank of fish to a water clarifier. The aquarium store duplicated the conditions, the water ph, the temperature, and the same fish, and they all died. The company paid for the loss of my fish. I never used a water clarifier again, although the problem might have been a dropper top that was too big. I just didn't trust the product again. I was very a experienced hobbyist at that time. Still, it was very upsetting.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
Catlover, is this your new tank? Have you used any chemicals, such as water clarifier in the tank? Tetras can be quite sensitive. Perhaps a gradual water change would help. I don't want to upset you, but it's possible that Becky will also die. I know how you feel. I treasure life, and am heartbroken to see any living thing die. However, with fish, it happens, and we have no choice but get used to this loss or give up the hobby. I wish you the very best of luck.

I lost a whole tank of fish to a water clarifier. The aquarium store duplicated the conditions, the water ph, the temperature, and the same fish, and they all died. The company paid for the loss of my fish. I never used a water clarifier again, although the problem might have been a dropper top that was too big. I just didn't trust the product again. I was very a experienced hobbyist at that time. Still, it was very upsetting.
Well, Becky also died this afternoon. I used AquaSafe for the tank. It is my new tank.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 04:26 PM
Premier Cat

Awe...Dont cry!

Just dont add any new fish....the water is very unstable.
Even if all the fish die....do not change all of the water.
Change only 1/4 to 1/3 of it. This is a very normal cycling of water.
The fish need friendly bacteria....new tanks are very sterile.
If the fish are swimming and diving and bashing into things....the nitrates are too high. Which is caused by over feeding and their is not enough friendly bacteria cycled in the water yet to balance out the nitrates and ammonia.

I hope this made sense...I am trying to explain it simple like.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 05:09 PM
Premier Cat

Test the water to see what is off. Maybe the water needed to be cycled longer before the fish were put in. Don't worry though, this happens alot with fish and I know how sad you must be
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 06:11 PM
Cat Addict

Oh gosh...I'm sorry. It is probably 1 of things- either the fish were sick to start of with (by the way, are either of the ones that died the one that had the white spot on them?) Or, it could be the water, which is probably more likely. Unfortunately, a brand new tank is often a death trap for your first fish. There is no escaping the cycling period, and fish often do not survive the process. Please don't get discouraged, though....once the tank has done it's cycling thing, any fish you get should do very well. *HUGS*

PS- Do you have any water testing strips? They are fairly inexpensive, and would allow you to monitor your water. Then you would know if it is safe or not.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 06:12 PM
Tom Cat

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 06:26 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery
Fish are so hard to keep alive. Tetras are just one group of impossible fish to keep alive. The only fish we've been able to keep alive longer than a year is a cory cat. He's over 5 years old and still kicking. Otherwise, they are a royal pain.

This is a bit of a pessimistic reply. I have kept fish as pets for over 10 years, and I find them very enjoyable and alot of fun, NOT "A royal Pain". Also, if you are having that much trouble keeping your fish alive, you are probably doing something wrong or not giving them the proper conditions. No fish is "impossible to keep alive", especially not tetras....I have a tetra right now who is a year old, and I had a group of tetras live to be almost 4.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 06:57 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via AIM to Joys
Quote:
This is a bit of a pessimistic reply. I have kept fish as pets for over 10 years, and I find them very enjoyable and alot of fun, NOT "A royal Pain". Also, if you are having that much trouble keeping your fish alive, you are probably doing something wrong or not giving them the proper conditions. No fish is "impossible to keep alive", especially not tetras....I have a tetra right now who is a year old, and I had a group of tetras live to be almost 4.

I agree! I've had the same fish for over 5 years now AND they are saltwater fish
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Premier Cat

Black Tetras are one of the more hearty fish out there.

Mine always survived everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page