agility at home? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Cat

agility at home?

I have a terribly obedient Shih TZu that I have trained for almost 1 year and a half intensively. I love her so much, and I am obviously her favourite person because she is my shadow. SHe gets all excited when I come home from school and hse doesn't do this with anyone else .
I have been intensive jumping (home training) with her for a year (twice her size) and she loves it. It is her favourite thing to do. She is quite the lady when it comes zto showing off about htings like that. My lifelong dream (well, for 6yrs) is to show in agility. THat is why I began intensive jumping. The issue: the nearest agility ring is in german and my dog doesn't understand that (quite obviously) and it would be hard for her with all the labradors and goldies who are HUGE compared to her and it would be very painstaking for my mum to drive there after school (I don't drive since I am only 12) because it is about 1 hour away. So, could anyone draw up a graph of an agility ring and what the dog is supposed to do? It would be very helpful, and I know where to buy all the stuff, I just need all the order and such. And I could make the jumps. Thankyou very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 02:17 PM
Banned

I'm sorry, are you sure you wouldn't rather post this in a dog forum? many members here DO also have dogs, but you might get a wider range of advice in a more appropriate place. you're welcome to stay here, if you like, though.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 02:22 PM
Banned

There's some great ideas here:
http://www.dogpatch.org/agility/courses/

Its great that you are so enthusiastic about doing agilty with your little dog. It's not just a sport for the larger, athletic breeds at all, in fact ANY breed can enjoy it as long as they have the drive to do it. It must keep her very it and of course, any work with your dog strengthens your bond.

It might be worth contacting that agility club about your concerns, you might just be surprised. They might have a beginners class that you could attend, and they might even cater for smaller breeds. I am assuming you mean the person who runs the club is German? It would be you taking your dog round the course.

Another good idea might be to try and find an agility group or forum on the internet, so you can speak to likeminded people and find friends who also have little agility dogs. You might also find others in your area who could point you in the right direction to a suitable club.

I tried a fun charity agility course with my Staff mix, Elliot, once and the results were hilarious! I ended up completely pooped!

By the way, Shih Tzu's are adorable, so would love to see a pic. Good Luck!

Ems x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Cat

thanx Emma_pen, and yes, I know it is better on the dog forum, anfd I have, but that was about two hours ago and I am impatient. Emma, I have some cute piccies of Cabs so I will post one in a minute, once I log in my photobucket.......which is a bit overloaded.

p.s her name is really Abbigaille but we shortened it alot just for fun....Cabs
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Cat

"What the heck, I'm bored!" "oooooh, what are you? You smell....like.....erm......a.. a.. MOUSE!" Her bestest friend Phoenix the god-knows-what. At first we thought he was a mongolian gerbil, now we're not sure if he is a....a... well....that is the point. We all htought he was a persian jird, but he is a Schimmel (yellow colourpoint) so that is impossible.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Cat

well, so what do ya think?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 03:56 AM
Banned

She is gorgeous! Good luck with your agility work, and feel free to keep me posted!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Cat

thanx, I'm going to work her a little bit right now over short jumps because on the dog forum they said that agility clubs wouldn't have her jump over 1 foot. I'm really quite excited, because it will be fun to set up an agility course in the back garden. Last year when I was jumping with Abbie Cabs, I looked up (we live in an apartment on the ground floor) and saw a few balconies with people staring at us! It was rally fun. THe thing is that I'm not sure if I will be allowed to show her incompetitions now.... But Oh well, at least it will be really fun to train. Now....off to the pet shop to get agility treats.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 09:48 AM
Senior Cat

Send a message via MSN to 22Raiynee22 Send a message via Yahoo to 22Raiynee22
agility

I just about to start training my puppy in agility. just slowly introducing him and teaching him obedience etc. I would think it'd be a great idea to do it at home. My friend trains her dog with some of the obstacles at home...she doesn't have all of them. But it gives the dog and idea that you can expect anything so to speak.

Here we show little dogs. I've seen a little jack russel terrier going through the course. I'm sure she could do agility!

Good luck! She's so beautiful!

Rachelle Aka Raiyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fabulously made by ForJazz!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Cat

thankyou so much, what type of dog do you have? I think they must be one of the most perfect animals (and cats) in the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page