Local news - 200+ animals seized from one home - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Local news - 200+ animals seized from one home

A client mentioned this story to me a few days ago and I was amazed that I hadn't heard about it. Just now rememberd to look it up. I've seen things like this on Animal Cops and tv shows, but never heard of something so extreme so close to home...

http://www.thecarolinachannel.com/ne...52/detail.html

http://www.thecarolinachannel.com/ne...64/detail.html

http://www.thecarolinachannel.com/ne...75/detail.html

We REALLY need to work on our spay/neuter laws in this country. Something's got to be done about these sorts of things.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 09:53 PM
Cat Addict

It sounds almost identical to the house Ashley was seized from.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 10:19 PM
Banned

Ashley was rescued from a collector's house!?!? wow....what kind of problems did you have socializing her to a normal home?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
One of the sites I came up with was some sort of animal rights site. It had a list of Spay/Neuter regulations by state (even though it only had a few states listed).

http://www.helpinganimals.com/t-lawspayord.html

I like the idea of things costing more for unaltered pets and the permit for an unaltered pet. But I doubt these laws are strictly enforced. Just the mere fact that I've never heard of licensing pets in the first place (except for that post about it a while ago...) tells me that it isn't too big of an issue.

I really wish we could start to push the issue a little more. I think maybe if there was a way to make sure almost all pets are licensed (through vets, humane societies, etc.) we could keep tract of the ones that aren't spayed/neutered and put them through a low cost program just to get it done. It'd probably cut down on the backyard breeders and people who really don't have the best intentions.

Maybe even on the "I just want her to have ONE litter" people too.

Anyway - I don't know how many more houses just like this one have to be uncovered before someone finally puts a stop to it.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 10:50 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by timskitties
Ashley was rescued from a collector's house!?!? wow....what kind of problems did you have socializing her to a normal home?

We had a LOT. Not only was she from a collector-they were ABUSIVE collectors, and routinely beat all of the approx 300 animals there. Ashley was 2 years old at the time, and had been bred nonstop since she was 4 months old. She was actually still nursing a litter when she was impounded;the kittens were weaned 2 weeks later, and I adopted her a few days after that. She was literally in a corner of a cage, shaking, when I went to get her. It was SO sad. She hid under our couch for 3 weeks...literally, did not come out AT ALL. We put her food under there, and water, and set the litter box right next to the couch...she would sneak out in the middle of the night and use it (amazingly, she knew how to use one, and has always had impeccable potty manners). At the time, I had no other cats in the house, and we were just VERY patient. She was so scared, I felt so sorry for her. After I had her for a few years, I brought home baby Gaylord, and I wasn't sure how she would react...but she immediately adopted him as her baby, and even tried to nurse him. They have been INSEPERABLE ever since. ...to the pont that when we take Ashley to the vet, Gaylord has to ride along too, even if he doesn't need to see the vet, or else Ashley will PANIC. She is now the princess of the house, but still, even 7 years later, has some remaining effects, but nothing hard to deal with. She flinches when someone tries to pet her on the head, hides from strangers, noises, and anything/anyone new, and HATES to be picked up off the ground. SHe loves attention, though, and sleeps with us every night, under the covers. She is a real success story.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 01:04 AM
Premier Cat

Ianthe what a sweet story
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 11:57 AM
Banned

it's a heartwarming story, and so good to hear she came out of her shell and has a wonderful life and home now.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 02:36 PM
Cat Addict

Thanks. She is such a sweetie, and is the most polite cat I have ever met! She will wait patiently for her turn at the food bowl, and if she is wanting to be pet, she will walk up to where you are sitting, look at you for a few minutes, and then EVER so gently reach one paw up and place it on your leg, and go "meow??" She HATES having her nails trimmed, but will just sit there and politely say "Meow" over and over while you do it....ONE time she got nervous, because we were cutting her nails AND there was a loud noise, and she GENTLY bit Aaron. When she realized what she had done, she started licking his hand where she had bit him for like, 5 minutes. She tries to nurse every new pet we bring in....from the rabbit to the hamster!!! When I look at her I can't even IMAGINE someone beating her up......
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 04:00 PM
Premier Cat

WOW

I had no idea how big she was Ianthe.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 04:37 PM
Cat Addict

Yeah...we are working on that. She is actually a VERY petite cat....just needs to lose a few pounds. She looks HUGE next to Gaylord, because he is such a skinny rail. They actually BOTH weigh about 10 pounds each...but when they are standing up, Gaylord is about 2 heads taller than her!!!!! Gaylord has loooong legs....well, he IS 1/2 Siamese.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page