**SPOILERS** Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

**SPOILERS** Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

You've been warned. Put your SPOILERS and HP:HBP thoughts here.

On the topic of spoilers, I don't have much to say. I'm still reeling from everything that was presented here, and I'm devastated. I blew through the book in about seven hours, so I need to go back and read it again... but I don't know if I want to do that just yet.

The book was absolutely brilliant, if not what I wanted to hear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 05:47 PM
Cat

Since the spoiler warning is already in the title, I'll just go ahead and not censor myself about what's happened, because I can't talk about it with anyone else--no one's finished yet!
I also read through it quickly and I'll go over it more carefully tonight, but wow! And I'm glad my hunches were correct about Harry & Ginny and Ron & Hermione...and what a surprise about Lupin and Tonks! I like the idea of that pair, though. My boyfriend's going to be surprised--he's pulling for Harry & Hermione to end up together. I can't believe Dumbledore's gone! I just don't know how everyone's going to cope...unless he comes back as a ghost or something similar. And I'm very intruiged about Malfoy, and what will happen with him.
All things considered, I think this one might be my favorite.
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I've been a huge Snape fan ever since I started reading the series (I read the whole shebang when OotP came out), utterly convinced of his redemption and underlying loyalty to Dumbledore. He's been my favorite, for all his complexity and depth of character. I screamed "OH MY GOD!" when I reached the murder scene, and I seem to remember repeating that phrase many times from that point on, until I closed the book and put it away.

At the same time, I'm gratified to know that there is still more to Snape than meets the eye. His complexity has not waned... it has merely changed. And there are still questions about his allegience. So many questions.

Now, I have to try and refrain from talking about it, as my husband is next to read it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 06:30 PM
Cat

Oh, I've never liked Snape at all! I always hated that he was so horrible to Harry. But I was just like the characters--if Dumbledore believed he was a good guy, so did I! But throughout the book I was less and less sure, and then BAM! Dumbledore's gone. I wasn't expecting that either, since I purposely didn't try to find out anything about the book before it came out, so I had only my own suspicions as to what would happen. I think that Snape definitely still has a more important role to play than just another Death Eater, but now it's even harder to tell what that might be!
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 12:40 AM
Senior Cat

I dunno, it seems to me the whole dumbledore dying thing was just to make a big splash in this book. I wasn't near as impressed with this one as I was with the rest. Bookes 1-4 are awesome, 5 and 6? Eh, not so much. At this point i'm thinking I don't even want to bother with book 7. Or if I do i'll wait until the library gets it a year after its released.

I was extremely dissapointed in Dumbledore. Seriously, having all the information he did on Snape and he still believed his "I am a changed man!" speach? I honestly thought Dumbledore had a REAL reason for trusting Snape. Noone that smart ignores when their friends and collegues all say "Hey dude, he's a bad man!" And begging and sniveling to Snape when he was going to kill him? ***? Thats not Dumbledore style at ALL.

Yup, very dissapointed.
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payge
Seriously, having all the information he did on Snape and he still believed his "I am a changed man!" speach? I honestly thought Dumbledore had a REAL reason for trusting Snape. Noone that smart ignores when their friends and collegues all say "Hey dude, he's a bad man!" And begging and sniveling to Snape when he was going to kill him?*** ? Thats not Dumbledore style at ALL.
Ah, my dear, but you aren't reading into the books at all! JK Rowling is a crafty, devious lady, and it's been a long time since she wrote anything to be taken at face value. Who's to say that Dumbledore's death wasn't a part of it?

"Severus," said Dumbledore, turning to Snape, "you know what I must ask you to do. If you are ready ... if you are prepared ..."
"I am," said Snape.
He looked slightly paler than usual, and his cold, black eyes glittered strangely. (GoF 36)

It's been almost a year since I last read GoF and OotP, but I don't recall this being resolved. Perhaps he was talking about Occlumency lessons, but perhaps it was something more.

I'm not jumping on the "Save Snape!" bandwagon just yet, as I really need to read the book again first, but there are lots of great essays out there already about the possibilities. Perhaps his trust wasn't misplaced.
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 12:48 PM
Tom Cat

I will jump on the Save Snape bandwagon. I believe Dumbledore and Snape both knew this was coming, and that Dumbledore was not pleading for his life in his last moments, but rather pleading with Snape to do what had to be done... I don't know why yet, but that is so much more consistent with the characters Rowling has created in both Dumbledore and Snape... I also believe this is part of the reason Snape yelled so forcefully at Harry when Harry called Snape a coward - Snape had just done one of the hardest things he had ever done.. If you read closely, Snape was teaching Harry right to the very end, giving him the skills he will undoutably need in the next book...

There's some really interesting discussions going on out there as to whether Dumbledore is actually dead, or whether he will return - and both sides make some really good cases. Unfortaunately, as muchas i want him to live, I cannot see that hapening. Then again, Dumbledore is in many ways a Gandolf-character for this generation... I felt much the same way with Dumbldore's death scene as i did with Gandolfs, and Tolkein brought Gandolf back...

Chrystal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Compliments of ForJazz
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 03:27 PM
Tom Cat

I'm pretty sure Dumbledore will continue to help Harry, but I suspect it will be little pieces of advice coming from his moving portrait. I will actuallybe pretty disappointed if Rowling does bring him back to life in the last novel... Harry really has to conquer this last challenege on his own to make the prophecy true...

Chrystal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Compliments of ForJazz
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 12:44 AM
Cool Cat

ARGH! So PI$$ED off...Dumbledore dead...ARGH!
Seriously, I was not expecting that. And I also think that there HAS to be a better reason for why he trusted Snape, more than just Snape saying he was sorry.
And what do you guys mean, maybe his trust wasn't misplaced...he KILLED him! So no bones about it, yes, Snape is one of the bad guys.
On a totally unrelated note...didn't Rowling say there were supposed to be dragons in this book?

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 05:10 AM
Senior Cat

Send a message via MSN to spamlet
Not read any of the other posts cause I'm only on page 200, long way to go yet...but oh my god I love it! So tempted to read the spoilers, so, so tempted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page