Best OTC Allergy Medicine? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Best OTC Allergy Medicine?

I have been miserable with allergies this summer -- I don't know if the cats have been shedding more than usual or the pollen count has been incredibly high -- but I'm about out of my Zyrtec samples. I don't have Rx coverage, so getting a script is out. I just took some Claritin, but I've found it has not always worked on my bad days. My worst symptoms are itchy eyes and throat and stuffy sinuses.

Anyone recommend a good non-drowsy OTC allergy medicine? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 12:10 PM
Cool Cat

I swear by Tylenol Sinus: Severe Congestion. I get HORRIBLE sinus headaches, to the point where they sometimes feel like migrains, but this stuff helps me out BIG TIME! I get the Non-Drowsy "Daytime" box. They also have a box that has both Daytime and Night-time meds in it!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 01:13 PM
Cat Addict

Claritin-D or whatever the generic of it is from the store you are buying it at.

~Shelly~

Zoee, Zack, Lamar & Mateo's mom
and Khan my Pit Bull Terrier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 01:34 PM
Cat Addict

I use the generic brand of Claritin (called Walltin at Walgreens.)
It works okay most days, but like you, I've found that it doesn't work so great on bad days. I know its bad, but when thats the case, I usually take a double dose and it does the trick

Zyrtec did work much better.
The Tylenol Sinus sounds good. I may have to give that a try.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 02:09 PM
Premier Cat

I have really really bad allergies. My eyes itch so bad it hurts and I would sometimes get tears and sniffles and all the bad stuff. Sometimes it'd be so bad I can't even open my eyes without rubbing them again. I swear by Alavert. They dissolve on you tongue, they look like aspirin tabs. Just take one a day!

If you want, I have 15 tabs left that expires in November of this year ( I only get allergies from Feb. - April) I can send them to you if you want to try it out. I got them from Walgreens for about $19 for 24 tabs. PM me if you're interested.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Kitkat, you're too nice! I know what you mean about your eyeballs itching so bad it hurts and your eyelids getting glued shut. Sometimes I have to just lie there with a warm wet washcloth over my eyes just to ease the pain and can't even wear my contacts most of the summer.

If you want to get rid of those pills, I'll take them but don't give them away on my account if you still need them!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 03:23 PM
Cool Cat

benedryl
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 04:41 PM
Premier Cat

I don't need them and it won't be good by next February either since it expires soon. I bought them in April after my allergies were starting to go away. Let me know I'll send them out tomorrow with another package I have to ship
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 04:50 PM
Cat Addict

Tylenol Allergy Sinus.

Tina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 06:16 PM
Senior Cat

You can take a higher dose of Claritin, but it does have a tendency to cause drowsiness at higher doses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page