What Has Happened to the Movie Theaters? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
What Has Happened to the Movie Theaters?

Blinkin'_cats thread made me think of this. I live in the suburbs of Pittsburgh, but in the last few years almost all of the theaters have closed! There is a ty close by with a huge mall. All four of its theaters have closed. So have the theaters a bit closer to Pittsburgh and four more a bit east. It's hard to find a theater in this area! Some people say the kids have vandalized the theaters. I don't know, but there's something special about going out to a large theater, eating popcorn and watching a giant screen and hearing sterephonic sound.

I hear many new movies are going straight to DVDs. I think they'll lose their magic; what do you think? Is this happening in your area?

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 06:23 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to Stanky Send a message via MSN to Stanky
about 3 years ago a bunch of theaters closed in and around our area. I know the one here in town closed b/c of the same reason u listed. They built a larger nicer theater down the road. I can only imagine that the new theater was more cleaner.

I really don't know about the movies that are going straight to DVD though.

~Lisa
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 06:30 PM
Cool Cat

Oh, Jeanie! I'm sorry to hear that this is your situation. Going to the theatre is mine and Jim's favorite past-time. After being spoiled by the big city's variety of cinemas (including IMAX theatres!), it was torture for us to live for 2 years in a city where the theatre did not have stadium seating, surround sound, or clean rooms. Many times, we drove an hour to the next city and made an afternoon on the weekends of going to see a film.

Luckily, we are back in Atlanta, so we have our pick again of cinemas again! I could not imagine not going to the movies. I agree with you: there is something special about the whole experience.

Now...if only there were more movies that I was actually EXCITED about going to see...!!! I think that is the biggest reason why so many movies are going straight to DVD...they are such non-family-friendly films AND/OR they lack an interesting plot.

Also, I've noticed that trailers and tv spots have gotten really bad about just showing you the "blow 'em up" scenes and not really telling you much about the story-line! I'm not going to go to the movie if I don't know what it's about!!! GRR!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 06:36 PM
Cat Addict

A lot of theatres have simply been losing the competition game. While I've seen lots of theatres close, the existing ones have gotten bigger. Back home, the theatre has eighteen screens, and they've also got a cheap theatre with six screens, where shows are a buck.

So I think the industry is still around and kicking, but the it's all fluctuating.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 07:05 PM
Cat Addict

It seems to go in waves here -- 15 years ago, there were only smaller 2 to 8 screen theaters in town, then the AMC 20 came in and pushed all the other smaller theaters out of business (or if they didn't go out of business, they became dollars theaters).

Now, we're seeing a lot more Fine Arts theaters popping up or specialty theaters with only one screen, but instead of rows of seats, they have recliners or couches with waiters that bring you your refreshments. This is the place to go if you want to avoid Club AMC on Friday night.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 07:13 PM
Banned

I hardly ever see a movie in a theater any more. Between the high ticket prices and outrageous snack prices and the inconsiderate audiences I'd just as soon wait six to twelve months to rent and view at home. Besides, there are few movies these days really worth going to a theater to see.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 07:57 PM
Cat Addict

Maybe if they didn't charge an arm and a leg to see a movie that was all hype and no delivery, more people would go to the theater, preventing the closings.

I know a lot of people probably pay more, but there is only one theater chain here and no competition. Prices are now up to $8.75/person. No student discounts either.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 08:27 PM
Cat Addict

If I'm going to a good quality theatre, I don't mind the prices. Back home at that 18-plex, it's $7/person, which is plenty worth it to me, as all the theatres have stadium seating, huge screens, and incredible sound. When we were there for the week of the 4th, hubby and I saw three movies.

Here, however, we have a cruddy little theatre with seven screens. Half their seats are shot, the sound systems are poor, and it's $7.50/person. We would sooner drive down to Worthington (Columbus suburb) and pay a little more to see a show in a good theatre.

We make a point to try and catch the action movies in the theatre, as you lose a lot of the effect when you rent. Chick flicks, I can watch at home.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 10:52 PM
Premier Cat

Many of the smaller theaters in our area have closed down after the multiplexes moved in.

Two remain, however. One has become an arts theater focusing on independent movies. They serve gourmet coffee and baked goods and allow the facility to be rented for fundraisers. It's a great place.

The other is an old-fashioned little five screen theater on a local main street. Movies are about $5 a ticket with cheaper matinees. It's not fancy, but I love it. My kids love to scoop their own candy at the bulk candy bins! Good old-fashioned fun.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 03:40 AM
Senior Cat

In SF they're closing the 1-4 screen theaters in favor of the AMC1000 type theaters with at least 14 screens (between 4 and 7 floors with 4 screens per floor) but I find that I can make a day of it and make that 9.50 worth it by seeing four or five movies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page