Tactics Used by Bill Collectors - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Tactics Used by Bill Collectors

Just curious, but does anyone know if it's illegal for bill collectors to call family members that you do not live with and you've never been a reference for them?

I got a weird phone call today from a bill collector looking for someone in my family, and I refused to give her my family member's phone number and got her number instead. She would not tell me who she was and kept saying it was a "private matter", but I googled the number and found out it was a bill collector. She also mentioned my brother during the phone call, trying to trick me into thinking that I know her.

I do not appreciate these calls nor do I want them to continue -- I am on a Missouri No Call List, so I do not know if this type of call is considered a telemarketer. I'd like to turn the bill collector in for harrassment -- my family member's debt is not my problem. It really kind of makes me mad that they are going this route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 08:22 PM
Banned

No, it's not a telemarketer. Collection agencies can use pretty much any shady tactics they can get away with to attempt collection, short of making any threats against person or property.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 08:29 PM
Cat Addict

I am not sure about families, but we had a problem at work last year with an collections company calling for an ex-employee. They insisted on calling every day and asked to speak to her friends etc despite being told they were wasting company time and no one was going to give out the address or phone# of the person. We agreed the first day to email the person and pass on a message, which was done but they called 3 times a day for a few weeks before we had our lawyer contact them.

It is against the law to harass the person while at work - even if it is the person who owes money, as you are forcing them into 'stealing' company time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Well, I work at home -- so maybe if they call again, I also will say they are stealing my company's time.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 09:41 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ta3339
it's is not illegal for them to call you. but you can tell them they are calling a place of business, and that should make them stop
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 10:05 PM
Tom Cat

Re: Tactics Used by Bill Collectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippyhart
I do not appreciate these calls nor do I want them to continue -- I am on a Missouri No Call List, so I do not know if this type of call is considered a telemarketer. I'd like to turn the bill collector in for harrassment -- my family member's debt is not my problem. It really kind of makes me mad that they are going this route.
Many of the no call list allow only companies that deal directly with you to contact you. I'd contact your states attorney general's office, their web site may even have a online form to report the call, and let them know.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 10:45 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Tactics Used by Bill Collectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM
Many of the no call list allow only companies that deal directly with you to contact you. I'd contact your states attorney general's office, their web site may even have a online form to report the call, and let them know.
This is exactly what I was going to suggest. I did this when I received repeated calls from a fundraiser who I had clearly told that I did not wish to be called. The folks in the AG's office were very helpful and I found out from them that this "charity" was a scam.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Great, I will be reporting them tonight -- this is not a company I have done business with so I shouldn't be subjected to these types of calls.

And I just want to say that my family member's collections are not due to credit card debt or acting frivolously -- he was laid off three times in three years and couldn't afford to make his car payment anymore, so it was repossessed. It's humiliating enough to be let go from your job that many times but to have creditors calling your house five times a day and now his family is ridiculous.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 11:32 PM
Cat Addict

They are allowed to call once, and only once. If they continue to call, you can report them.

In my never ending quest looking up information to turn my credit around, I came across many people asking about this. HOWEVER: If it is not a collection agency, but rather the company itself, they can do what they want. As crappy as that is, it's true. You only have a leg to stand on if it's a collection agency.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I googled the number and it was a collections agency, so you're saying the collections company can do what they want?

I will be seeing my brother that the caller mentioned on the phone tomorrow and will see if he got a call too. His number is unlisted though, so I wonder if they will be able to get in touch with him.

I still feel this is invasion of privacy -- especially since it's not my debt and she was trying to trick me into talking to her. I'm not a fool, lady -- and I love to hold a grudge. I also have her number too and can just as easily call her 15 times a day if it comes to that. Sorry, I get worked up about these things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page