Thinking about ANOTHER career! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Thinking about ANOTHER career!

Well remember my post a while ago about deciding teaching isnt posibly going to be worth it?
There just isnt the jobs in cornwall compaired to how many qualified teachers there is. The situation is still the same, I was disapointed when I didnt get the teaching job in the school, but a part of me expected it because im not qualified (in the uk you dont have to be qualified to teach in a the private sector)
So im trying to think things thru, where I am now good pay for what I do but my yearly wage is still only just over £5000 (8,719.78 USD)
But in total each year I get 19 weeks (yes weeks) holiday on FULL pay.
but money is more important right, esp when we want to move to a bigger house and start a family.

So now im thinking of training to be an Education Welfare Officer.
Basically I would work with children who fail to go to school, work on why this is happening, work with families making sure they get all the benefits available to them. And I expect living where I do there would be a lot of work to do with the "New age travellors" (Gypies)
Pay, well its 3 times (THREE TIMES!!!) better than what I am on now, and thats only a starting wage. When you get right to the top of the profession I could be earning 6 times more than what I am now.
Thing is-
bye bye holidays (lol)
A lot more travelling

But I really like the idea, I think its more rewarding and definatly challenging. I think it can be a very hard job too, there would be times where I would have to take parents to court/prosicute them. But I think it would be a more rewarding career than teaching. Also there is more of a need for it than teaching.

So I spoke to loads of people today and finally got thru to one of the offices. The office (Which is typically furthest away) has a vacancy coming up. Obviously I have no qualifications in this area, but I do have child care qualifications and relevant experiance. So there is a lady phoning me back tomorrow hopefully to give me more information. I read you can train on the job which would be ideal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 12:44 PM
Cat

I am 43 years old and i still havent answered the question...."what are you going to be when you grow up" ?

tamara
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 01:06 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to CyberPet
I'm turning 43 this fall and I have no clue what I want to be when I grow up!! Honestly, life is great and if you have a chance to try another career, regardless of your age. DO IT! Life is too short to have regrets and the more you do and learn, the more fun you'll have!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 01:38 PM
Cat Addict

That is so weird - my mum was saying the same thing the other day - either that or the Home Office is desparate for staff and she was thinking of working there. She is a teacher and doesn't get paid that much more than yu considering she has lesson plans etc to do and so doesn't really get the holidays.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 03:42 PM
Tom Cat

I'm glad that I am not the ONLY one who doesn't know what she wants to be when she grows up.

I thought that, at 38, it was too late to decide...so I just won't grow up. My hubby is successful and can support all of us, so I decided I would just be a drain on his income. Works for me (at least right now)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 05:27 PM
Banned

Go for it!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 09:59 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to Superkitties Send a message via MSN to Superkitties
Sounds right up your alley, hope it pans out for you!! *crossing fingers*
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 03:01 AM
Cat Addict

Best of luck, Zal1 Let us know how it goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPet
I'm turning 43 this fall and I have no clue what I want to be when I grow up!!
Petra, I love your Sense of Humour! You make me laugh so many times when I read your posts. Post more often !!!

explore, doubt and discover for yourself what is the truth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page