I got a Job Offer!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to violina23
I got a Job Offer!!!

So, I've been looking for a new job for several months now. I am a software Engineer, and I followed my heart after college, taking a slightly-lower-paying position in a REALLY expensive area over a slightly-higher-paying one in a really cheap area of upstate NY (I thought I'd be happier with the place on Long Island). But it really hasn't been all I hoped for, I feel completely stiffled by this place. THe company hasn't been treating people very well: there have been a ton of layoffs, raises have been meager... and I am so bored with what I am doing. I was starting to get really disheartened.

But I got a job offer form a company my friend works for in Northern New Jersey! The offer is only a LITTLE more than I am making right now, so at least I am not taking a pay-cut. But most important, it looks like interesting, dynamic, and challenging work which will hopefully provide me with the satisfaction I am completely lacking at my current job. I have been miserable for way too long at this place, and I am so glad to finally feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel. I'm not sure how I feel about trying to bargain for more money.. I feel like they COULD have done better with the salary, but I don't want to bite the hand that feeds me. It's not THEIR fault that my current employer was so crappy with the raises, but I hate the fact that if my company had given me what I was entitled to, then this company would have followed suit and given me a better salary. I think I will probably be taking it regardless, but I would love a bit more money....

Dave and I are getting married next summer (July 9th, 2006), and he is going to stay at home with his parents in the Bronx and commute to his job in midtown Manhattan. Working in NJ will work out well because we can live in central Jersey, and he can easily commute to the city, and I can commute to northern NJ. I have really traditional parents, so living together before we get married is really just not worth fighting about, especially since our wedding will be in about 11 months...

So that kind of puts me in a bit of a dilema. This job is about 20 min away from my parents' house. I could definitely live at home for 10 months until I get married and save a ton of money. But... there is a large risk of me COMPLETELY LOSING MY MIND! I have been living on my own for 2 years. I have Kiera now, I have my own habits, my own stuff, and I am used to answering to nobody. At home, there are my parents, my grandmother is over a lot (and always seems to have something wrong..), and my sister just had a baby in June, and my mother will be babysitting a lot (Put it this way: My mom bought a crib to keep in the house! A nice one too.. LOL) My mom can be somewhat controlling, and she'll want to know where I am and what I'm doing at all times. I also really want to work hard at losing weight before my wedding, and I am afraid that living at home will be detremental to that, because not only is it more difficult to manage exactly what I'm eating, but I tend to get a lot more judgement when I am at home, which would definitely derail me. But the money I'd save!!!!!!

Ugh, I'm not sure what to do. But I am SOOO happy that I got this offer, and hopefully it's the beginning of a lot of GOOD changes for me. I always said I am way too young to be this disgruntled with my job (It was my 24th birthday on Saturday). I am glad that I am going to make the change and not just sit there and "take it".

Thanks for reading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 02:19 PM
Premier Cat

How exciting!!!
Could you find a really small place to rent?

I know when I was 25 I went through a divorce and went home to live with my parents for a while....MISTAKE HUGE MISTAKE!
I left after only 3 months....Whew! Amazing we are all still friends!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 02:25 PM
Cat Addict

I don't know much about the area personally, but we were recently looking into moving to the North Brunswick area (for work purposes) and it seems to me that I found LOTS of reasonably-priced apartments in that area. So I'll ditto Dawn... would that be a possibility?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Yeah, I would definitely PREFER to live by myself, but I am thinking about hte future... wanting to buy a house and such. I HATE renting so much! I don't want to be doing that very long after Dave & I Get married, and down payment money is a big part of that. A small place in Jersey might be a possibility, but when you throw in the utilities, cable, phone, internet (which I canNOT live without!), then it begins to add up.

But yeah, my parents talked about the possibility of me getting a studio or something. I'm just not sure. I mean, if I can bear it for those months, I could save SO MUCH $$!

Ugh, really tough, I'm going to be going back and forth on this for a while, methinks...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 03:13 PM
Tom Cat

Congrats on the new job offer!

My hubby recently took a job that meant a slight pay cut, but it was with a company that gives him a LOT more opportunity for growth! He went from being Database manager to being IT Director. It is a start-up company, which is why he was asked to take a pay cut, but he will also be eligible for bonuses and possibly a partnership in the future.

I divorced my ex when I was in my twenties and had no choice but to go back to my mom's house. My father had died a couple of years prior, I had two young daughters, and my mom was recently re-married. It was awkward and I felt resented by her new husband...they were newlyweds after all...so I don't blame him. He was about to retire and now there were two young kids and a 'step-daughter' he didn't know and didn't really care to know.

You can try living back home...it can't hurt. Then, if it doesn't work, find another place of your own.

Good luck with the new job...and congrats again!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 03:28 PM
Tom Cat

One more thing to add...

As far as weight loss...I struggled on and off most of my life. The main thing that made a difference for me was drinking LOTS of water, eating balanced meals with reduced intake of fat, sugar and starches, and have your meals on a small (salad) plate instead of a full-size plate. It fools your mind by looking like a larger portion. Also, eat slowly, as your brain doesn't get the "I'm full" message for about 30 minutes after you stop eating. If you are still hungry after an hour or so, eat another (smaller) healthy meal or preferably a healthy snack. You may also do better have 4-6 SMALL meals each day instead of 2-3 big ones...and your larger meals are best eaten earlier in the day, as opposed to late evening. There are a lot of foods that you burn more calories eating and digesting, than you take in. (i.e. Celery; lettuce; some melons, etc...)

Another well known help is to exercise: if you burn more calories than you take in, you will lose weight...period.

I have tried every fad diet in my life! All of them! They may give good results, but they are temporary. The only way to get good results is not to diet, but to alter your eating habits for life. If it has to be a gradual change in habits, that's okay. My main weight loss (the one I was able to maintain) took almost a year, but it was mroe than 60 pounds. The majority came off within the first 4-5 months and then it was slower. That is normal. I also did some cycling, walking and a lot of stretching and low impact activity that could be done indoors.

I have gone from my max weight of 179 pounds (in my early twenties) and now weigh 120-125 pounds (I'm in my late thirties). I don't have to worry about it any more. I had gotten as low as 112 during the weight loss, but am over 5'6" so it was a bit too thin for me and hard to maintain. I find that my current weight is ideal for me. If I notice I am starting to gain a few pounds, I increase my water intake. It is as simple as that. I also have to watch myself, as I still have my weaknesses (cheesecake, chocolate, creamy stuff) and I don't deny myself these if I am REALLY craving... I just have a tiny serving and then focus my thoughts on something else (so I don't go back and have more).

This is what has worked for me. I hope it helps.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 05:39 PM
Premier Cat

violina....can you talk to your Mom about what her expectations would be before you try living there?
You mentioned your Mom was controlling...that is exactly the way my Mother is...she was giving me curfews....Ummmmm HELLO
A 12 pm Curfew EXCUSE ME! I could not believe my ears!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thanks for the advice, Brynn. I actually did weight watchers last summer and lost about 20 pounds with the combination of the calorie-counting (i.e. points) and lots of going to the gym. However, lately I have been really stressed about the job thing, and I hurt my shins from running and cannot do anything high impact at the gym. I, unfortunately, gained about half of it back. I am hoping after I get back into a routine, I can really focus on it again.

Yeah, I defintiely need to have a long talk with my parents. I am so torn.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 07:29 PM
Tom Cat

I understand the issue with your parents, since I lived through it myself. You can try explaining that it would really help you out, but you are an adult, and they need to respect you as such. Curfews, dictating how you 'should' handle things, etc...is not something you can comfortably live with. Tell them you will respect their home and them, but you need to be assured they will respect you and your ways, also.

It is difficult to go home again at your age. As I said in my last post, I did so because I had no choice. I moved out about 3 months later because it was too awkward and I resented being treated as a child. I was a mother and an adult. I was a married woman (although going through a divorce) and had been the female head of household for several years.

Listening to my mother tell me that I needed to do this; do that; etc...was too much after a while. Still, it may work if you get everything lined out up front. If you feel this would be an option and are willing to give it a try, the worst that can happen is you will have to find another place and also deal with the frustration of moving *again*.

I never did weight watchers, but I think they are one of the better plans (though costly). You can do pretty much the same thing on your own, especially since you have been through the program and a lot of grocery stores carry their frozen meals, and other items. I will eat their frozen meals every once in a while, but it gets old fast. I am an avid supporter of the water drinking above anything else...that, and portion control, as well as reducing the fats, sugars and starches. I crave starches and some sweets, so when I get a craving, I will feed it...but within reason (a few bites as opposed to a full serving). I don't exercise as much as I used to, but still maintain my weight pretty well because of my eating habits. I ruptured several discs in my back a few months ago, so I have to do exercises that are very low impact (I do a lot of stretching, "swaying" to music, some swimming, etc.) It doesn't take much activity to make a difference, so find something that you can do without risking damage to your legs.

It is hard to change eating habits after 24 years, that is why it is okay to do it gradually. You will eventually get to the point where you crave water, crave the fruits and veggies over sweets, etc...but it is important not to deny your cravings, as that will eventually lead to a binge.

It will also be hard to stick to the change with your eating habits while living with your mom...if she is anything like mine. Living in the South, almost everything is fried...if it isn't fried it is a starch (which, sometimes they manage to fry anyway!) One example is "potato patties" which is my mom's specialty. She will take left over mashed potatoes: (she will add excessive amounts of butter and cream to the potatoes to begin with); put minced bacon, cheddar cheese, minced onion, egg, flour, more cream (we are talking 'whipping cream' not milk) and seasonings in them...form them into patties a bit smaller in diameter than a McDonald's cheeseburger, then FRY them in...ready? Bacon Grease. Yes...it is outrageous. But, I do have to admit that, since I grew up on them, I adore them and it is hard to resist when I visit her. I could list dozens if not scores of similar foods...one more would be "salt pork" (a chunk of very fatty and salty pork) which she slices into squares, dips them in egg and flour and fries in bacon grease. *sigh* This one, I can pass on!

Okay, I will shut up now. If you feel that I can help you in any way, please feel free to pm me, and I will do my best to pass along more details as to how I was able to find a weight loss success.

I wish you the very best, and hope that you are able to come to a compromise with your family. It would be very helpful in a $ way...but don't do it if it too stressful...the saved $ would be nice, but your peace of mind is priority.

Let me know how it goes, please!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 10:55 PM
Premier Cat

Brynn...I cant believe what we have in common!
I also had a young son at the time I moved back to my parents home.
It was also around the 3 month mark...that I left.
We actually did not speak for almost a year afterwards.
I was literally in shock from them acting as if I was still 15.
I just never expected that!

violina....if you think you can get on the same page with your
folks before moving in....then it just might work.
I know you could have the opportunity to save big dollars!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page