Question about cholesterol and food - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Question about cholesterol and food

i was just curious to know if anyone knows anything about shrimps and their cholesterol levels...whether if its bad or good. I searched on the web and found so many diff. articles..one said it reduces the cholesterol and another was saying its high in cholesterol...so it didnt help! any answers are appreciated!

"Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't get eight cats to pull a sled through snow "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 02:03 AM
Cat Addict

I can't say that I've done any research on shrimp/cholesterol in particular but I do know that fish, in general, have what is considered a "good" cholesterol that eats away at the bad cholesterol in a person's system. Omega-3 fatty acids are what they are called. Of course, I think a lot of this also depends on the way the shrimp, or any seafood/fish for that matter, is cooked. Baked or broiled without breading or batter is best. Personally, I've never liked shrimp unless it is battered and it's kind of difficult to make battered shrimp without deep-frying it so that shoots the cholesterol all to heck anyway!

In case you weren't aware, Omega-3 fatty acids are available in an over-the-counter supplement in the vitamin aisle of any discount store - Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart, and are also available over-the-counter in pharmacies but I think you pay more for them in a place like that. They'll either say "omega-3 fatty acid" or "fish oil" tablets.

As another aside note, my husband had a cholesterol problem and before he would start medication he told his doctor he wanted to try fish oil tablets and it did help to reduce his cholesterol a little bit.

EDIT: Omega-3 fatty acids have also been shown in clinical studies to increase one's brain function, particularly memory. Some doctors are recommending daily omega-3 supplements to Alzheimer's patients.

I'm not trying to be a smarty pants by offering all this information. It's just that I used to be a medical transcriptionist before becoming a stay-at-home mom and so I've heard a lot about stuff like this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

thanks for the great info! it is actually for my dad ..he told me to find out some info about it ...so i'll def tell him aobut the tablets. he likes shrimp but doctor has told him to watch what he eats so wanted to make sure they arent bad for him..and about the cooking..we just broil it. thanks a lot!

"Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't get eight cats to pull a sled through snow "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 01:58 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via MSN to Ashdyre
Does your dad take caster liver oil and/or garlic pills? They are natural alternatives that are supposed to help reduce cholesterol.

I can't attest to them for sure since i've just started taking them, but i figure what the heck. I'm 21 and my cholesterol is 3X higher than it should be, for no apparent reason, and i'm going to have a heart attack by 25 if i can't get it down, lol.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

no he doesnt but i told him about it . thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page