I'm so annoyed (apartment management gripes) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I'm so annoyed (apartment management gripes)

Incompetence must be a quality my apartment complex looks for when hiring new personnel -- I have about three days left in this place, and yet they can still get under my skin like they have from day one.

Here's my gripe: Joel and I moved into our apartment in November 2001 and signed a year lease. When it came to sign a new lease in 2002, they told us it would be for 13 months, so we would be signed up from December 2002 to January 2004. About six months later, my parents bought a fixer-upper house and wanted us to move into it since they were having a hard time selling it, so I went and talked to the 2nd apartment manager who did not sign the lease with us. Anyway, she noticed that the first manager wrote down the wrong dates -- our lease was listed as being from December 1, 2002 to January 1, 2003, so basically the lease was good for a month. We did not move into that house, and they never asked us to resign a new lease either. So, we've been living on a month-to-month basis here without a lease since Jan. 1, 2003.

Today, I go in to talk to the fourth apartment manager about doing a moveout walkthrough, and she mentioned that I was breaking my lease and would have to forfeit my deposit. I said, nope, I haven't been on a lease in almost three years and have been paying month-to-month this entire time -- she said if I go on a month-to-month, then I still have to abide by the move out dates of the original lease.

***?? Month-to-month means you are on a 30-day lease -- are they just trying to screw me? I told her I AM NOT paying a dime to move out of this place. I gave a 30 day notice and paid through the month. I am supposed to call her back at 3 this afternoon after she talks to the district manager...I refuse to forfeit my deposit just out of principle. I'm just afraid they are going to bully me about it, and I won't know what to say...Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 06:43 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
File a report to Better Business Bereau online...

That is my solution for everything...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 06:49 PM
Cool Cat

Re: I'm so annoyed (apartment management gripes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippyhart
I'm just afraid they are going to bully me about it, and I won't know what to say...Any ideas?
Hmmm, how about an aluminum baseball bat?! Always works for me.

**Your Portion Of Light**

Whether you are a brilliant flame or
but a tiny spark matters not-for the world needs whatever portion of light is yours to give.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I think after I threw a fit the first time around this morning, they reconsidered what they said...I went back and they told me not to worry about it.

Don't mess with me this week!! The phone company already got an earful...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 07:08 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to violina23
I'm TOTALLY dealing with something similar! My lease expires on August 15th, and I knew that I was trying ot find a new job and stuff, and I certainly wasn't going to sign another year's lease: They charge you 2 months' rent to break your lease, and since rent is SO expensive here, it was easier for me to go month-to-month if needbe and pay an extra $50 a month (which is sadly, pocketchange compared to the actual rent amount...).

So I talked about this with the leasing office a few months go to make sure I had the situation exactly right. The girl told me that I would need to give them 30 days notice.

So I got a job offer yesterday, so the first thing I wanted to do was give that notice! So that way I can give my 2 weeks notice at my current job, and have 2 weeks to leasurely work out the rest. Since my lease ends mid-August, I figured the 30 days notice would be from now until the end of August, and I would pay half the month on my current amount (under lease) and the other half of the month pro-rated for a month-to-month amount based on the new lease.

THe girl (SAME EXACT ONE I spoke to a few months ago!) is like "No, it's 60 days". Ummm... excuse me that's not what you told me! She said, "30 days is only if you are on month-to-month." But the thing is: I am not breaking my lease: there is no 2 month penalty and crap like that. I'm just really mad because that's not what she told me, and maybe I would have figured something else if I had known. SO I may get ripped off another HUGE month's rent for the apartment wheN I'm not going to be there. SHe said she'd talk to her manager and call me back today, but she didn't.. I'm going to have to harass them tomorrow.

So I KNOW YOUR PAIN! Apartment complexes are so greedy... they keep making you pay more and more for less....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page