Curious about apartment costs in your area... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Curious about apartment costs in your area...

My husband and I are trying to help his mom find a cheaper apartment. She just got a notice in the mail that it was going up to $375. I'm sure that's not much for rent in many places around the country and it's really not that expensive here either. It's just that she only gets a social security check, which hardly makes a dent in anything, so she has to find a cheaper place.

At least we've finally gotten it through her head that she needs to downsize to a 1-bedroom apartment. Until now, she's been living in a 2-bedroom and, thus, she can't qualify to get low-income housing assistance. Trust me, her income is pretty low and she could easily qualify had she resigned herself to the fact that she only needed 1 bedroom but we had to practically beat it into her brains that this was the case.

Well, anyway, since I've been doing a lot of calling today to try and find a cheaper place I was just curious how things are where you live.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 05:22 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
It depends. My apartment is $395 per month for TWO bedrooms (I am still trying to convince my family to let me live alone). My fiance lives with his brother and together they pay $1200 per month.

His apartment is right next to mine Granted, it is a luxury apartment...but the apartment is actually much smaller than mine despite the high cost.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 05:33 PM
Cat Addict

*throws a shoe at you guys*

My apartment is $1200.00 a month, not including utilities, and it is very tiny and very old. There is no dishwasher or garbage disposal, and the carpets are thrashed and dirty from previous tenants. There is no balcony or porch area, and no laundry facilities.

Gotta love California.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianthe
*throws a shoe at you guys*

My apartment is $1200.00 a month, not including utilities, and it is very tiny and very old. There is no dishwasher or garbage disposal, and the carpets are thrashed and dirty from previous tenants. There is no balcony or porch area, and no laundry facilities.

Gotta love California.
YIKES! I'll bet it has a lot to do with the fact that, for any given occupation, a person can usually make much more money in CA than they could in ND.

I sure wish we could have moved my house to CA to sell it when I moved in with my husband. His relatives (from the San Fran area) came and visited while I was still living there and said that I could easily get about $300,000 for the size house I had if it were there. I only paid $86,000 for it here. The average house around here sells for about $110,000. I've never lived in an apartment here so I'm not too sure of the averages but I think they are about $500 a month (utilities not included) for a nice-looking 2-bedroom. My mother-in-law's current 2-bedroom apartment ($375/month) is nothing to write home about but it's not bottom of the barrel either.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 05:57 PM
Cat Addict

Yeah, you CAN make more money here...but not THAT much more. The cost of living is INSANE. Particularly here in Monterey. The apartment we lived in before we moved here, which was in between Lake Tahoe and Sacramento, was about $900.00 a month- and it was pretty nice, and big. Plus gas, etc., is cheaper in that area....but the state only pays Aaron $100 more dollars a month for living/working in THIS area...which is insanely expensive. It doesn't make up for the increase in cost of living at all.

Oh, and the cheapest house for sale around here, which is a teensy shack with no yard.....is selling for $800,000.00

Anywhere in CA is pricey, but where we used to live, most of the houses are in the $500,000.00 range...and they are alot nicer.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianthe
Oh, and the cheapest house for sale around here, which is a teensy shack with no yard.....is selling for $800,000.00

Anywhere in CA is pricey, but where we used to live, most of the houses are in the $500,000.00 range...and they are alot nicer.
Oh my gosh! I guess we're kind of living quietly up here. One of my husband's friends used to live in a suburb of Minneapolis (about 7 hours from here), sold the house he had here and came back to ND and bought a house in Bismarck. They pretty much have the house completely paid for and money to spare and the house in Bismarck is just as big as the one they left in Buffalo, MN! We also have a couple of neighbors who are retired from the military and both originally from CA. They sold their houses in Cali and moved back here and bought more than twice the house for less than the price as the ones they left behind in Cali.

You know, I was doing some more thinking about income around here. I think things are also so much less expensive out here because we don't have any big industries or anything to entice more people to move here. This is largely a farming area with a lot of the other jobs being retail stores, computer-related (telemarketing), and hospital employees.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 06:32 PM
Cat Addict

We pay $910 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment including gas, electricity, taxes and parking.

When I lived in England there was 5 of us sharing a 6 bedroom house (one room was used as a study) in Essex and we paid 1500 pounds a month including gas, electricity, taxes and parking.

When I moved back to London, it was a studio apartment for 500 pounds including bills

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 07:06 PM
Cool Cat

In the metro-Atlanta area, we pay $812 a month for a 2-bed, 1 bath, 1071 sq. ft., terrace-level apartment. It is a gated complex with pool, tennis, fitness room, club house, and optional garage.

We moved to the area thinking we could still pay around $400-500 like we were in Savannah. No, no. You get what you pay for in this area, and the $500 per mo. places were kind of scary.

With our complex, esp., a lot of what people pay is for the location. We are in a "choice" area that is rapidly growing.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 07:11 PM
Tom Cat

apts here mostly start at 1000...we used to pay 1500 for 3 bedroom ...which for C.A...isnt bad compared to others (sad to say)

"Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't get eight cats to pull a sled through snow "
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 07:16 PM
Cat

$1215 for a one bedroom apartment in San Diego, in a pretty nice area close to the beach. It can be less than a thousand when you start going really far inland.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page