mechanics make me so mad sometimes - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

mechanics make me so mad sometimes

Last friday my car got towed into the mechanic. they told me that they would be willing to fix it and wait for me to pay on the first when I get my check........that was a week ago, and they have still not fixed it.

I had already paid some in advance too.....................GRRRRR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 04:54 AM
Cool Cat

OMG! Don't even get me started on mechanics!!!
I have had 2 months of problems dealing with the morons!
GAH!!

I hope you get it worked out soon!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 08:19 AM
Jr. Cat

And the money they charge is exponential^*. If you find a good one they cost even more but are worth it for the trustworthyness. I've been going to a small exhaust shop and the guy does some tough jobs for less then the price of store bought parts, and has a sense of humor-bring cash!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

ok maybe it was not so bad afterall.

he finally fixed the car today after I went in and paid for all the repairs in advance and then he found out that it was the fuel line and not the fuel pump that was bad. So I actually got some money back along witht he car, but it is running a little rougher on idle now.

See that is why i hate mechanics, i am afraid that he has messwith something else to make it a problem later on down the line. not to mention that it still cost me well over 200 dollars to fix what he did fix.

But hey at least I have my car today and it is running now.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

oh yeah, did i meantion he will not be getting my business again!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 01:02 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
My family always bring their cars to Chinatown to get it fixed...

They say people who are born in America don't make good mechanics.......

I wonder if immigrants have better work ethics (legal immigrants, of course...I get upset when illegal immigrants try to take the things legal immigrants work their entire lives for)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 08:59 AM
Jr. Cat

Okay, I confess, I have a 2yr degree in automechanics. Hated the job, $5.50 an hour, back in '92. That's why if you find a good mechanic your gonna pay. Most places that don't pay enough won't attract the good talent. I went to school with a guy from Korea and he was an absolutely gifted talent and works for one of the dealer ships in town. And the guys from Mexico are also doing fabulous things with their cars around here.

My brother also is a mechanic at Sears. About $9 an hour plus commision if he works fast. He's good and fast and make almost $20 an hour on the average, but constantly skips his breaks including lunch.

I'm halfway to a 4 yr couputer science degree because I didn't like to get my hands dirty and when I started out the pay was low. I have had three flat tires this summer. Because school has once again taken all my $, I do mostly my own work on my 2 X $400 cars, praying they get me through school.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 09:22 AM
Cat Addict

I just take my car to the dealer. It's really not much more expensive, and they have a reputation to protect, so they are less likely to try to scam you.
With my old car, I took it in for some repairs and told them I thought it needed new brakes, probably a new muffler, and a few other things. It turned out the only thing it needed was new brakes. They DEFINATLY got my return business, they really could have scammed me.

Now, Jiffy Lube, don't get me started........

Jennifer

Jennifer and the monsters
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 09:32 AM
Premier Cat

Zoeae, I'm glad your car finally got fixed. You must be so relieved!

On the subject of mechanics, I love mine!! They know me by name and never rip me off. Mine came in on a Saturday to finish my car when it broke down unexpectedly. They knew that I had committed to take my daughter on a Girl Scout trip that day and got the car finished an hour before we were to leave. Fabulous!!

I have not had a good expereince with the dealers around here. When I first got my car, it was off-lease with 27,000 miles on it. I took it in to the dealer for an oil change, and they wanted me to leave it to do $600 worth of maintenance work! The car was practically new!

The local garage checked the car and only charged me about $75 to replace the things that needed it. They have fixed it for me ever since, and the car has 133,000 miles on it now.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 11:54 AM
Tom Cat

We haven't had a need for a mechanic for a while. Both of our vehicles are new-ish (2002 and 2004) so we just do preventive maintenance and my hubby 'can' do that (when he wants to).

Glad you got your car fixed! It can be a real pain in the 'rear'...I had nothing but used cars until the 2002, and always needed some sort of mechanic work. Ugh!

Okay, dumb joke my 14 y.o. daughter told me...no offense to blondes. You can use anything you like for blonde, but I won't use Aggie out of respect for Shengmei

The 'blonde' was worried that her mechanic was going over-charge her by doing work on her car that wasn't needed. She was relieved when he told her that all her car needed was new brake light fluid.

I worked with a 'dumb brunette' in an office a few years ago. One of the guys in the field was known for practical jokes, especially on this woman - she was very gullible. He asked her when she last had the air changed in her tires. She didn't know (of course). He warned her that not replacing the air once a year would cause the rubber to dry-rot. She ran straight to the tire service center our company used and insisted that they change the air for her. Wish I had been there to see the service guys' faces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page