House Cleaning Helps'? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

House Cleaning Helps'?

Dusting and cleaning windows are where I am terrible. I've been here for 6 yrs and never fully cleaned any window. Maybe if I set out to do one a week that would seem more accomplishable. Any advice or products that would help or work fast and easy? How about the amonia in windex, is this dangerous to cats? Would something else work better?

I was taught in the army to clean well and often. I'm not as picky as them, but I do have to clean the mutual space once a week. One lady also told me to always put away the drain tray when the dishes are done keeps things feeling more tidy too. I don't have a dish washer, but did get a electric scrub brush that works so fast I don't need one with just me and the cats. My little buddy(nephew) always complains about roomates' dishes. I told him it ain't ever going to change and to throw them in the dish washer and repeat till their clean, seems easy enough said anyhow.

The general areas I try to keep organised and I do the kitchen, bath, vacuum up and down stairs in about 1 to 2 hours once a week. I keep 2 vacuum cleaners' 1 up, and 1 down, and do the stairs with the up one. I almost never sweep except around the litter boxes so not to clog the vacuum. Clorox ready mop for the floors is fast but cheap as it broke at the handle(trying the swiffer next). Clorox wipes are great for the quick counter wipe down, I flew today.

I also have cat puke stains in the carpet. I was just going to try the carpet spray and scrub it with a brush, sound logical? I usually put carpet fresh on to soak up liquids after the initial solids are remove.

Being male I am limited to the one hemishere of the brain(left?), so if you can help to get me through house cleaning faster, then I would have more time to think(I think?). Thanks, Jim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 11:37 AM
Cat Addict

I find the best way to clean windows is 2 to 3 drops of either joy or dawn dish soap in about 1 1/2 gallons of water. Use a squegee to clean. I do mine twice a year, except for one window that gets lots of dog drool, that one I do every week.

Jennifer

Jennifer and the monsters
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 01:19 PM
Cat Addict

Pet Stains: puke, poop or pee

Get yourself over to PetsMart (it's always cheaper to buy there) or Petco and pickup "Get Serious" or "Simple Solution". These are pet stain removers & deordorizers. Spray on spot, brush in with a toothbrush or something larger depending on the area of the stain and PRESTO that stain is gone, like magic!

judy
"Where am I going and what am I doing in this handbasket?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 04:12 PM
Cat Addict

I have found, and I also know a LOT of people that use this, that vinegar water works wonders on cleaning windows. There's no ammonia involved either, so the icky smell isn't there. Granted, vinegar doesn't necessarily smell that great either but it does wear off after a little bit. Vinegar works excellent at cutting grease (i.e., dirt, fingerprint marks). I know someone who is actually allergic to a lot of cleaning solutions so she even uses vinegar to clean everything in her bathroom.

Deep cleaning can be somewhat of a daunting task but my advice would be to take it a little at a time. I don't know how many windows you're dealing with, but I would suggest doing all southern exposure 1 week, then moving to the north, east and west or whatever.

EDIT: I don't know of any "proper" dilution method for the vinegar water. I never measure it myself. I usually dump about 1 cup into a gallon pail or something like that.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I have the Windex wipes with vinegar, so I geuss if I would just use them(well I do on the bathroom mirror and tv/computer screens). Maybe hit the cat drool ones from the inside tonite so at least someones view will be a little better.

I think I also have like three or four bottles of cat mess cleaner around here somewhere, I think one even is simple salution. I'll have to check them first, as I have just returned from Petco and I am in sticker shock yet. That Whiskas' milk and a dog bone for my guitar, $7(yes the music, you replace the plastic saddle and nut and the guitar sounds better).
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 07:17 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie769
Get yourself over to PetsMart (it's always cheaper to buy there) or Petco and pickup "Get Serious" or "Simple Solution". These are pet stain removers & deordorizers. Spray on spot, brush in with a toothbrush or something larger depending on the area of the stain and PRESTO that stain is gone, like magic!
OMG!
I just tried Get Serious the other day! It is a stain, odor and phermone extractor. It received Product of the Year for 2004 from a major pet priodcut organization and I have heard good things about it. Well I had always used and reccommended Nature's Miarcle, but no longer. This is my new favorite product!!
It cleans pee, poop, puke, birthing matter, etc - the bottle labelling is quite humorous. It can also be heated in the microwave for tough stains.
Just pour a little on the area you need to clean up, (you do NOT saturate like with Nature's Miracle, so you use less) scrub for 20 seconds with a dry towell and voila - stain gone! I went thru my whole house and removed all stains I had tried to get out and previously failed and was amazed. Cleanness!! yay!
I can't wait to find more uses for this great product!!

Speaking of which, I should go do some cleaning...
*hangs head
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 09:47 PM
Jr. Cat

For cleaning windows, I like Glass Plus, using newspaper to wipe. Trust me, it works well. (Your hands get a little black, but it washes off.

Swiffer dusters work well for dusting.

Murphy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 10:09 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphysMommy
Swiffer dusters work well for dusting.

They work very well but BOY are they expensive! It's like $7 for ten dusters. For what they're made of, that price is outrageous.

judy
"Where am I going and what am I doing in this handbasket?"
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 02:12 AM
Cat Addict

I have heard the best way to clean windows is to use vinegar and newspaper instead of paper towels. I've tried it and it works better than any glass cleaner.
Clean dirty screens using the vacuum cleaner with brush attachment.

For dusting, I swear by something called "PIG Dust Bunny Dusting Cloth." They are microfiber static charged dusting cloths that can be washed and resused. I have a couple of them that I've used for years and I've never found anything better. They actually pick up the dust and hold it, and when the cloth gets dirty, you just rinse it out and toss it in with the wash.

Here's a link I found:
PIG Dust Bunny cloth
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 07:08 AM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat Whisperer
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie769
OMG!
I just tried Get Serious the other day! It is a stain, odor and phermone extractor. It received Product of the Year for 2004 from a major pet priodcut organization and I have heard good things about it. Well I had always used and reccommended Nature's Miarcle, but no longer. This is my new favorite product!!
It cleans pee, poop, puke, birthing matter, etc - the bottle labelling is quite humorous. It can also be heated in the microwave for tough stains.
Just pour a little on the area you need to clean up, (you do NOT saturate like with Nature's Miracle, so you use less) scrub for 20 seconds with a dry towell and voila - stain gone! I went thru my whole house and removed all stains I had tried to get out and previously failed and was amazed. Cleanness!! yay!
I can't wait to find more uses for this great product!!

Speaking of which, I should go do some cleaning...
*hangs head

Wonder if this will take care of hubby's stains on the caroets from EATING in the livingroom when he isn't supposed to! I have white carpeting and never had a stain until he moved in! LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page