*rant* I cannot stand people like this... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

*rant* I cannot stand people like this...

I was at the post office earlier and a guy handed me this.
http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp

at first I politely declined and he said something nasty under his breath about heathens and getting saved.

I politely told him that I was familliar with Chick Tracts and I find them incredibly offensive and hypocritical. He procedes to shout scripture at me and yell about how I'm an "Eastern religion satan worshipper". He nearly had a heart attack when I proceeded to take apart Genisis and explained how Jesus spend a long time immersed in the eastern religions with the probability of him having practiced Buddhism being high, as written in the scrolls and texts pertaining to the 'lost years'

said man tried to get me kicked out of the post office for fighting and offending, using religion in a government building. The manager aparently knew him from other times he's gone around with these things and offended people.

I just really dislike people like him, who evangelize even after the person has expressed their disintrest.

thanks for letting me rant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Cat Addict

You're right to be angry as this man disregarded your wishes and insulted/offended you.

It's one thing to be Christian and share your beliefs with others (or just talk about your beliefs so others can see what Christianity is) and it's another to flat out tell people that they're going to **** for having different beliefs.

As a Christian, I would be angry that he's turning so many people OFF Christianity, when the point is to turn people towards it.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 03:24 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Both my finance and I are fundamental orthodox Quakers...

Even we are offened by those people like that.

Just for the record, I find it quite hilarious to read Chick tracts. They are so over-the-top they are surreal. I think it is fun to make fun of people who produce them.

Don't take it so seriously....There had been numerous times when other Christians asked me why I don't go to church even though I am a Christian. Now, why would I go to a Baptist or Methodist church if I am a fundamental orthodox Quaker?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 05:23 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky
You're right to be angry as this man disregarded your wishes and insulted/offended you.

It's one thing to be Christian and share your beliefs with others (or just talk about your beliefs so others can see what Christianity is) and it's another to flat out tell people that they're going to **** for having different beliefs.

As a Christian, I would be angry that he's turning so many people OFF Christianity, when the point is to turn people towards it.
Well said emrldsky!!!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I don't take it seriously, but when it's so over the top and I cant' find some sort of amusing retort then it bugs me. I went to an all girls catholic school and am quite polytheistic myself. Sister Mary decided that it was her project for four years to convert me. Now, whenever she asks if I've found Jesus yet I have a list of things to reply with including but not limited to "I didn't know he was lost" "You lost him again?" "Behind the sofa" and "next time put a bell on him so he doesn't sneak off again", which I say in a joking manner and she then understands that another year has gone by and I'm still not interested.

Chick tracts are amusing in their over the topness but I never thought someone would actually try to use it on me
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 09:29 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra
I don't take it seriously, but when it's so over the top and I cant' find some sort of amusing retort then it bugs me. I went to an all girls catholic school and am quite polytheistic myself. Sister Mary decided that it was her project for four years to convert me. Now, whenever she asks if I've found Jesus yet I have a list of things to reply with including but not limited to "I didn't know he was lost" "You lost him again?" "Behind the sofa" and "next time put a bell on him so he doesn't sneak off again", which I say in a joking manner and she then understands that another year has gone by and I'm still not interested.
HAHA! I love this post.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 11:28 AM
Senior Cat

I read the email link. Was it bad to laugh? I played role play games for years and as far as I know i'm pretty normal (the voices tell me I am )

Seriously though, I can't stand people ramming their religion down my throat. I have my own beliefs and I respect others, in fact I find them very interesting. I have several friends who are very religious and often discuss different views on stuff . I remember being in Glasgow and a guy trying to make me buy a CD of 'Godly' music and convince me that God was a woman. I did the polite no thank you number and he proceded to chase me, yes literally chase me down the street screaming I was a heathen, man loving idiot who wanted to live a life under male rule. I certainly was a crowd stopper that day

Claire x
There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 03:15 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
God was a woman?

NO WAY
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 03:23 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty
I read the email link. Was it bad to laugh? I played role play games for years and as far as I know i'm pretty normal (the voices tell me I am )
AAAAAAHAHAHAHA! I hadn't read the link. I just did. It's hysterical!

A woman at the elections yesterday commented to me that she bought her grandson a Harry Potter movie some months ago, and as they were leaving Wal-Mart, the greeter saw the happy boy and said "What did you get?" He told her, and she went off on how she won't have any of that in her house!

Are these people for real? *boggles*
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 04:32 PM
Cat Addict

Hee! I love Chick tracts! I probably would've been thrilled to meet someone actually passing them out. But I'm sort of weird that way.

I really love the part where he tried to get you kicked out of the post office for "using religion in a government building."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page