What to bring? - Help me move! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

What to bring? - Help me move!

As I posted in another thread, I'm returning to college after being out for a few years. Not only am I returning, but I'm moving into college housing and will be spending the week in the big city, returning home to hubby and kiddie on the weekends.

My room is small. I'm taking a room in a house with ten other people in the 'college' sector of the town, and I haven't a clue what to bring! I have to be efficient, because of space.

What would you need to bring along? What should no twenty-something woman be without?

I need ideas, people!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 12:57 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via AIM to SammyO
a blower dryer and your own mirror for when the bathroom is full! Which will probably be all the time!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

OMG A mirror... I hadn't even thought of that! You're brilliant!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 03:39 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Lots of tools and hardware to bolt furnitures on top of each other so you can stack furniture safely.

I stacked furniture when I was living in a dorm room. Now I have an apartment I still stack furniture. It is a much more efficient use of space and my kitties love slepping on top of stacked furniture (when done safely). For example, I always stack a desk on top of another desk to use as a hutch. I also like to stack two or three dressers on top of each other. Dressers are awesome for all kinds of storage issues...not just for clothes!!!

Bed risers are deinitely a YES! Also, a day bed is better than a regular bed because you can use it as a sofa during the day. Futons are awful and uncomfortable.

Lots of hooks (again, storage issues)

TV and computer (I never had them until graduate school. I didn't know what I was missing)

A huge and easy-to-carry laundry basket.

A wastebasket. Again, I didn't have one until graduate school and I had no idea what I was missing. Now I have four

A translucent curtain for privacy and a curtain rod (so you can rise the mini-blinds up all the way. I personally hate mini-blinds)

Candles (if they are allowed)

Toaster or toaster oven (if they are allowed)

A VERY SHARP pair of scissors--they make life much easier!!!

I am still looking for some sound-dampening drapery for my apartment. You are a musician so you probably need it too.

Congraduations!!! What major are you going to study in?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Some more great ideas, thanks shengmei! I'm lucky, in that this bedroom is already furnished, so I don't have to worry about that part. No tv, though... I think I might get one of those portable DVD players with the little screen. Hmm!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 04:04 PM
Banned

If you go to a libary and check out "Surviving College for Dummies" There should be a checklist of things to bring to college on the first page.

Believe it or not, I could never have graduated from college without that book. I brought that book my junior year of college. I guess I am a dummy after all . Unfortuneately, my fiance accidentially donated that book when I graduated because he thought I didn't need the book anymore...otherwise I would really like to mail that book to you. I graduated soon after I got the book.

Again, it is not easy to come back to the academic word after you take some time off. I knew that and that is why I went straight to graduate school two weeks after graduation even though I knew I was neither financially nor emotionally ready. I also had chronic bronchitis which still has not healed.

I survived the first year of graduate school, though

There should be a book about surviving graduate school for dummies

There was a $10 off coupon for febreze scentplayer in the sunday paper. I brought the febreze scentplayer on Monday. It is pretty awesome. I highly recommend it.

Oh, and of course, you need a shower caddy...my ex-roommate in college did not have a shower caddy. One day I brought her some expensive bubble bath from Bath and Body Works as a gift. She brought the bubble bath into a shower but she accidentially left the bubble bath in the shower stall because she didn't have a shower caddy. The bubble bath was promptedly stolen.

You probably also need a fan. I like those quiet little space heaters that has a fan setting.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 05:26 PM
Premier Cat

Firstly congratulations and good luck

Extension cable/power adapters.

Something which you can lock for your valuables.

First aid kit.

Cork screw.

Playing cards or a game - it's a fun ice breaker for all you and all your new housemates.

Stephie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

... by Doodle
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 06:17 PM
Banned

Actually, if you can find a way to lock your front door it would be great!!!

A lock on the front door is better than 100 little safes.

Also, if you are getting a deck of cards....get one with kitty pictures on them. It would be a conversation piece.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I've just thought of something. Plants. I need plants. Anyone know of any hard-to-kill plants?

And I'm not sure if I can put holes in the walls, so I'll need to find some sort of wall-stick, because I plan to have TONS of pictures of the kitties. (Sigh.) Any suggestions on what to use when hanging pictures like this?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Banned

I use 3M clear mounting tape. It holds very strongly and leaves no residue behind (the clear one, not the foam one).

Pothos ivy is definitely a hardy plant. It is also in season so the plants are on sale now. I think hanging plants are better because they definitely conserve space.

However, with hanging plants...there is a loss of privacy. The amount of sunlight needed to maintain those plants pretty much limits you to not using mini-blinds...so there is a downside.

A plant (especially a rubber plant) absorbs 100X pollution than a HEPA air filter. It also absorbs vibrations in the air and makes the place slightly quiter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page