Snake help needed. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Snake help needed.

SOOOO....An hour ago, my friend found a small snake that I named Arwen (I'd just watched the lord of the rings LOL! ) and it seems very sick. Her (well it could be a male...) tail has been cut off, but she is still alive. Is there anything you would do to help Arwen? My mom hates snakes and obviously is not going to take me to a vet with a snake.

HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 01:59 PM
Cat Addict

If you are unable to provide veterinary care, and it's a wild snake, the best thing for it is to either take it to a wildlife center or let it go. Any sickness or injuries will likely be amplified by the stress of being put in a cage.

My opinions.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks Aphrodeia! The problem is is that there is no wildlife centre I can find tonight, and I want to let her go, but the reason she is injured is because the farmer next to my house is sowing his feild and will probably hurt her further...he has advanced machinery. Maybe when my dad and I are walking the dogs today I could let her go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 03:21 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Willow771
Ok...want a proper Opinion on how to help an injured snake? If it still has its "Vent" (A moon shaped scale 2/3rds -3/4rs of the way down its body) where it does its business from then it will be fine. its tail fell off as protection, something grabbed it by the tail and it just fell off. If it DOESNT have its vent... then it wont survive.

If the vent is still intact then just dab abit of polysporin on the injury a couple times a day and it should heal up nicely.

they cant lick or eat off the polysporin so it wont hurt them. Polysporin helps aid the healing for Snakes. its what snake breeders and owners use for injuries most commonly. i would NOT use rubbing alcohol or any other harsh liquid like that as the snakes organs are close to the vent and it would likely kill it. A snakes digestive tract runs most the length of its body and fills up the whole rib cage cavity so...it would be like you were feeding the snake this stuff. POLYSPORIN.

Just some advice on my end
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I will go check to see whther it has the vent...I guess I should set her free, I just don't want her to be hurt more badly.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Cat

No vent I'm really sad right now, but I'm letting nature take its course.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 04:13 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Willow771
put a small dish of water in with the snake and put its head near the water...see if it wants to drink. Can you take a picture of its underside...its belly scales ...near the injury and along the length? it would be a great help
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Cat

OK, I'll try that, and I'll post the pics in the morning here, g'nite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page