Thinking about a fish hobby. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
View Poll Results: Should I go into a fish hobby?
Yes. 7 43.75%
No. 8 50.00%
Maybe. 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Thinking about a fish hobby.

I'm thinking about a fish hobby meaning raise them, ECT. What do you think? I would stick with tetras, gouramis (dwarf of course), guppies, ECT. I would like some opinions. Now my tank is doing good. PH, Ammonia, Nitrates & the rest are good. I know of course the limit for a 10 gallon is 8 fish. What do you all think? I like to have fish. It's nice.

Thanks in advance.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 10:15 PM
Tom Cat

are you talking about breeding them?
You could probably keep eight guppies in a ten gallon tank but I think that if you are planning on breeding fish then you are going to need more than one tank (to house the fry).
Keeping fish is a very fulfilling hobby for me and a lot of others

Personally, if you are going to breed, I say get a bigger tank and go with angelfish. They are beautiful and once you get a mated pair they usually lay eggs about every 3 to 4 weeks.
Anytime I've thrown a group of angels together in my 55 gallon I've always come out of it with at least 1 mated pair...sometimes more!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 10:29 PM
Tom Cat

I voted no because from past posts I think you need a little more experiance just with the upkeep of a tank.

Also a 10 gal is not NEARLY enough to do proper breeding. I would use nothing less then a 20 gal for a mated pair then move the fry into a 10 gal till they out grow and then at least a 45 gal to hold the grown fry before you sell them.

Also you need to watch what breeds you want to Different breeds can require different PH levels and Acidity in order to instigate their breeding.

You also need to be prepared. VERY few times can you come out of an LFS with an already mated pair. Usually you need to buy up to 6-10 of a species then watch them closely to see which ones pair off and quickly seperate them so they don't get territorial.

That was just to name a FEW of the things you need to understand before getting into breeding fish. NOT to mention knowing the difference between liverbearer's and egglayers and how to protect the eggs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks Icklemiss21!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 10:41 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I have fish. It is a VERY expensive hobby for such small animals.

You should start with livebears. They reproduce much faster and they are much easier to keep alive.

If you really want to breed fish, you should get a 100 gallon tank, but the tank and the stand usually run about $1500.

Like I said, it is a VERY expensive hobby.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 10:48 PM
Tom Cat

NO kidding it's expensive I've spent probaby over $500 just to stock my tanks. I have 3 10 gals now, a 90 gal, a 55 gal I help take care of, and a 2.5 gal. I also have two 45 gals waiting to be set up and I'm STILL not ready to even THINK about breeding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks Icklemiss21!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Thanks everyone, but I am not talking about breeding. I'm sorry for any confusion. I'm talking about keeping fish. Experiencing with different fish like runnynose tetra, guppies, ECT.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Tom Cat

LOL I think you mean rummynose tetras. I would advise that you try some Corydoras with some tetras and stay away from livebearer's if you only have a 10 gal tank to work with. You don't want them to breed unexpectedly and have an overstocked tank or multiple deaths with an ammonia spike.

Fish is a fun Hobby but can get very expensive and it is very delicate. RESERACH before you buy ANY fish it will be better in the long run. Make sure to check if it is social, maximum adult size, water conditions.

Also DO NOT get goldfish with a 10 gal. even just small comets. A goldfish needs at least 30 gals and then another 10 gals for every goldfish after that first one to be happy and grow to their maximum potential. I think I remember you having goldfish before.

It's good that you are curious about other breeds and have fun with it.

Thanks Icklemiss21!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 09:38 PM
Cool Cat

Why would you want to do breeding? What interests you about it?
I can't think of another reason to breed them unless you are wanting a business. Who would you sell them to? Most fish stores buy most of their stock from distributors and not individuals. You have to figure out what you would do with the resulting fry.

I have a 10 gal FW, a 55 gal FW and a 65 gal SW reef tank.
It is a lot of money but a lot of fun too!
But it's a hobby, where as breeding would be more of a business.

Good luck whatever you decide to do - just research it first.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 03:45 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to Stanky Send a message via MSN to Stanky
I can agree w/everyone that it is an expensive hobby to keep up. Just keep in mind like everyone said here, do some research and see if it's something you wanna get into. If you do decide to get a larger tank just remember that it will be a lot more time consuming then small 10ga.

Hey CatWhisperer, do you have any pics of your tank?

~Lisa
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 04:37 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to CatLover
I voted no....I have fish, & as small as they are they're very hard for me to keep up with. The filters I but are around $10.00, then there's the food for lord knows how much, then the tank needs to be cleaned out even with the filters, which is a realy hassle(for me anyway). Then there's making sure the water temp, PH, etc. is perfect. Now, I've never bred fish, but I am currently raising some tadpoles.

It's not in my power to tell you what to do....you do what you want. Not what other people think you should do. If you want to breed fish, then do so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page