Biiig mistakep noot happy - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Biiig mistakep noot happy

Well I was having some problems with my computer and getting a bit hot.
So I bought a nice Artic cooling (Good brand) heatsink&fan.
I waiting for my bf to get home and install it for me because they are absolute ... (well u know) to put in. And so was this one.

The metal clip was a tiny little thing, he pressed on it with the screwdriver and it snapped, marvelous.

So we cleaned up the chip, put back in the old one. Uhmm, nothing happened, it booted but hung on start up. The D-Tool had 4 red lights, which indicare a processor problem, I was like ***?
Sowe put in my old processor- same problem (ffs)
We moved the case and this tiny peice of metal came out, which came off the clip (didnt see this at the time) and now since it wont boot up I am **** sure it shorted my mobo out and now it wont boot.
And to top it all off my mobo is about 4/5 months old, as is my processor and my graphics card is about 4 months old.
Im peed big time.
So im here on my laptop, which hurts my wrists and im making loads od typos cause I cant get us to the fixed keyboard rather than split.
So if I have loads of mistakes, sudden writing in capitals then normal I apolodgise now, im too sore and way to mad to fix them.

At the weekend im gonna strip my computer again and rebuild it from scratch to make sure everything is plugged in. If thatdoesnt work, then ill just cry rofl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 04:32 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Bummer. Can you return the Heat Sink & Fan?
When I'm on our laptop, the same thing happens to me.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 04:37 PM
Cat Addict

Ah man, good luck.

I know this is a rather basic question, but are you sure the processor was seated correctly and that there aren't any bent pins?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Catlover- yes I could, but that doesnt reaplace £200 of hardware

Rob thats one of the first things we checked
With the holes there is only 1 way they will go in, but none were bent and I checked for broke ones left in the holes.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 10:40 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to violina23
Ouch

i hate typing on laptops, I always get headaches, and I never get a comfortable position for my hands.

I just built my first computer from scratch a few months ago... I was so afraid the first time I turned that thing on! God help me if I go through something similar...

GOod luck, I feel your pain.....
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 12:39 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Actually, I have a laptop instead of a desktop. I use it as a normal computer.

I am really sorry for the computer.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 02:31 AM
Senior Cat

That is too bad, I feel for you.

I actually did some work like that with my ex husband when we used to build our own computers so I know what it is like.

This one I bought already made so I don't have to go through all that headache again.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Well im sbout to phone them up.
Ive looked up all the sales of good act and I think this product breached the 2 main ones.
ill update when I get of the phone.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Pretty much as a expected really.
They gave me a refund since it was faulty but refused anything to do with the damage it caused.
I phoned up trading standards for some advice and they said so long as it can be prooven that its faulty they should be compensating/covering the cost of a new mobo and processor. (£130 ish)
So they said I should write to them, this is the letter ive sent them.

Dear sir/madam,
I purchased from you on 2nd August 2005 an Artic Cooling Copper Silent 2L CPU cooler (Socket A) (HS-011-AR.) Costing a total of £11.67
Upon installing the product as instructed the metal clip on one of the sides snapped. Taking out the obvious broken parts I replaced the heatsink&fan with the one originally installed. Booted my computer which now hangs at boot start up. Not getting to DOS. Upon taking my computer apart again I found a small piece of metal which had snapped off the heatsink clip on the motherboard. From this I can only presume this piece of metal had shorted out my Motherboard or caused processor damage. I now have a computer which is no longer working, but was fine 20 minutes before hand.
I phoned up your customer services who have given me a refund for the cooler as they accepted it was faulty, but refuse any responsibility on the damage caused to my computer by the product you sold me.
I have since talked with my local trading standards office who is advising me on this situation. They also feel that if the clips snapped as I describe then there was also the danger of damage being caused to myself by the pieces of metal sheering off.
Looking at the sales of goods act the product broke the following-
“Goods must be 'fit for their purpose'”
“Goods must be of satisfactory quality.
The second act is as of particular interest as it was not durable enough or safe to do its job.
Because of the above faults it has caused further damage to my computer.
After talking with trading standards I have been advised that I should also seek compensation/costs of a new motherboard and processor for my computer.
I have sent this letter by recorded delivery, and as advised by trading standards expect a written reply within the next 7 days.
I have sent back the heatsink&fan as requested with the returns number-RMA68880
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 07:46 AM
d_b
Cat

Have you tried clearing the cmos? Make sure the HS is seated properlyon the cpu. I recently built a comp and it wouldnt boot. Found out the HS wasnt seated properly. What kind of thermal compund did you use? If it was artic silver make sure noneof it got on where it doesnt belong.

good luck!!

If you can't spoil a pet, there is no use in having one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page