Question about a dog in heat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Question about a dog in heat

Suk is my first dog, and she is in heat.

Now before I go any further and get a bashing....
She isnt spayed, I am saving up to get her spayed. In my opinion rescuing her from the **** she was in and not getting her spayed right away is much better.

Okay, she has been bleeding for about 2 weeks. It started off really deep red and towards the end it went watery. She is still swollen in her area. Today tho she is absolutly stinking. At first we thought the cats brought back a kill we hadnt seen. We went into another room she followed and so did the smell. When I use to work in a petshop we sold B.itch spray, I never really looked into what it was.

When I read up on dog heats it said they last 2-4 weeks. They go through the bleeding, when they stop this is when they will try to mate (Which is what I think she is at now) and then about a week later she will bleed again and then the heat is over.

Is the smell from her because she is in heat?
Dont worry id sooner slit my wrists than let her have puppies. We havent walked her as soon as we noticed she is in heat. The garden is walled in by a 7 foot wall all around it, she isnt getting out and no dogs are getting in.

Is there anything I can do about the smell? Do things like B.itch Spray work?

Its gonna cost me about £100 to spay her, so far I have £60 saved up. So I will be ready to spay her before her next heat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Banned

Don't worry, you won't get a bashing! Is this her first season? If so, you are spot on with timing, and she'll be ideal to spey 3 months after she stops bleeding.

The severity and smell of a season varies with individual bitches. My childhood bitch never used to appear much different at all, and she was so meticulous with personal hygiene that we rarely saw blood. On the other hand, my friends entire bitch was extremely messy.

Its hard to describe a smell over the internet but what would you compare it to? It should certainly NEVER smell nasty as in very offensive. A bad smell would signify that something is wrong in my opinion, such as an infection. Watch for any signs of pus especially. Seasons open the cervix up to infection. Giving her a bath might help. Bitch spray is more for the purposes of disguising her smell from entire males (yeah, right ) than from us. If you are worried, get her down the vets. You can't take chances - I have seen pyometra in puppies before.

Good luck!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 06:01 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to AllergyCat Send a message via Yahoo to AllergyCat
My first thougt was an infection as well.

Dogs can have STDs too and if she was in a bad situation before you got to her, who knows what she has.

And I think those sprays are hooey! Nothing can mask the smell of a bitch in heat to a dog.

I've known of dogs who have broken through kennels, glass, doors, and anything else you can imagine to get to an intact bitch. And....then...sucessfully mated through fencing or another kennel.

Let's just say the breeder was NOT happy! LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 06:03 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Sheesh, Zalensia! I'm right next door to you and I bred Collies for 7 years! I'm crushed that you didn't ask me.

Seriously, a female dog's most fertile days are from the 12th. to the 15th. days of her season. My Sari wouldn't accept the dog once until the 18th. day. That shocked everyone. The owners of the stud dog couldn't believe it when I called and said I thought I should take her back for yet one more try, because neither had been interested during "prime time." There was never any odor at all. I would suggest calling the vet. I had two breeding females and never had an odor.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 08:14 PM
Premier Cat

I would give her a bath too?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 03:51 AM
Banned

I find it hilarious that this forum replaces the word meaning female dog to the word 'sweet'
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Yep this is her first season.
There isnt any puss, ive been checking her regularly.

The smell isnt horrible as in offensive she just has a different smell about her.
I doubt she is ill, she isnt eating much, but she has never been a big eater- she never finishes a meal and I always get told off by the vet that she is underweight
But this morning she was running around like a nutter, from one end of the garden right thru the house to the other end. And she was playing with next doors grandkids thru the wall.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I was driving past the vets just now so I went in anyway.
They said the smell is normal, they have it when they are in heat. Just the rest as you guys said really, keep an eye on her and stuff.
I found out about getting her spayed too, £95 in about 3 months time. (as you said emma )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page