My daughter's babysitting job *rant*/***updated on pg 3*** - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

My daughter's babysitting job *rant*/***updated on pg 3***

My daughter has been babysitting for a family this past week. They have 3 kids ages 4-7. They are not allowed to watch any tv, and when my daughter brought over a couple of G-rated disney movies (Snow white, etc) she was chastised because the mother said the movies are full of latent sexual undertones, phallic symbols, and drug implications.

SNOW WHITE?

Okay, enough said. My daughter called the first day and asked me to bring her a lunch as they had only enough food in the house for the 3 children. Okay, no problem there. When I got there, the house was filthy! Not just untidy (as mine always is) but filthy! You couldn't even see the floor because of the garbage and it smelled to high-Heaven of urine. They have no pets, either!

What gets me is that parents are both professionals. The mother is an elementary school teacher and the father works in IT. They also shorted her on the pay, which my daughter accepted graciously wihout question. Last Friday, as soon as the dad got home, he told my daughter it was time for her to go, gave her the shorted pay and saw her to the door. She was forced to walk home in a thunderstorm (about 1/2 mile), as he didn't even offer to let her use the phone to call me for a ride. I was LIVID!

I have told this family that she will not be back. She is a bit upset with me because she is saving money for some Hot Topic clothes she wants (and I refuse to pay that much for)...am I being unreasonable? I think she was treated unfairly. She is only 14 and this was her first babysitting experience. She was told she would be paid $250 for the week working 7:30-4:30. She was kept very late (until almost 10pm) on 2 nights and was only paid $125...she worked almost 60 hours for this! Plus, she cleaned as much of the house as she could while there. She did this as a courtesy and the fact that she was grossed-out by the filth (if you could see her room, you would know that it was VERY severe for her to be bothered...she doesn't clean her own room but once every few months!)

Just my ranting...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 11:56 AM
Cat Addict

Ii don't think you are being unreasonable at all. When you told the family she wouldn't be back, did they even ask why?

~Shelly~

Zoee, Zack, Lamar & Mateo's mom
and Khan my Pit Bull Terrier
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 11:58 AM
Senior Cat

You did the same thing I would have done.

Another thing is if the house is that filthy a call to CPS would be in order. I would anyway.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I gave the lame excuse of school starting next week and my daughter and I had a lot to do in order to prepare. I also have to be very careful and not offend anyone, as the mom of this bunch is the best friend of my husband's secretary (he and his secretary are good friends as well and have worked together for 6+years). This is where the referal came from. I think it is best to just let it go...she was able to get a neighbor to care for her kids, but this (adult) neighbor insisted on $5 an hour, so the mom was obviously frustrated that she could't short the new babysitter.

I think I will offer my daughter $125 to clean MY house...at least there isn't rotting garbage and urine on the floor (I don't think )
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 12:17 PM
Cat Addict

What a horrible first experience for her! I don't think you overreacted. I would have done the same thing. I understand she really wants the clothes, and I think it's wonderful she's willing to work for them. However, those conditions are terrible and not worth it. She'll find a better situation where she'll be treated right and be paid for her work.

Tina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 12:25 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Let your daughter keep the job (if is reasonable for her to get Hot Topic clothes) but tell her that in real life, one should work less if she is paid less. She doesn't need to work so hard for people who are ungrateful and who are incapable of appreciating hard work because they don't even seem to notice.

Let her work, but tell her to work as little as possible...and she SHOULD NOT clean their house....

Also, if she only cares about the brand...why not let her buy some Hot Topics clothes 75% off? They go on sale quite regularly and Hot Topics clothes on sale are still Hot Topics. I love Hot Topics clothes but I could NEVER pay them full price! Also, if there are only large sizes by the time the clothes are on sale, you can always shrink them with hot water...

I vividly remember how I used to be teased and beaten when I was fourteen because of my clothes....

I don't think it is appropriate to call CPS on such situation. The children are NOT abused. CPS caseworkers are incredibly overworked and they should only be called in case of emergencies.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

The parents are loving parents but imo over-protective. The list of rules given to my daughter was outrageous: such as she is not to go into the garage for any reason (what are they hiding?) and the "no-t.v." thing under any circumstances...no snacks, etc. Usually, by the time a child gets to be 7, the parents relax a bit and let kids be kids.

The kids were immaculately clean, but very hyper-active and climbed on my daughter constantly. This is a bit of a problem as she grew very fast (she is almost 6' at 14 years old) and suffers from back pains at times. She didn't know how to tell the kids "no", since this was her first experience and I had to take her advil twice during the week.

I have reached a compromise with my daughter in regards to the clothes: I will pay up to a certain percentage, and she can pay the rest. If her babysitting money won't cover it then she can work off the difference by helping me out a bit more around the house. (she is actually very careful with money and does't overspend...she just wants a pair of pants and a bag that are "new" items for the fall)

She was just invited to a movie/sleepover party for the day and tonight, so I think she is happy that she doesn't have the obligation to babysit. She can enjoy her last week of summer vacation!
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 12:43 PM
Cool Cat

I think you did the right thing and she will understand and appreciate what you did later.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 12:44 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shengmei
I don't think it is appropriate to call CPS on such situation. The children are NOT abused. CPS caseworkers are incredibly overworked and they should only be called in case of emergencies.
Living in filth is a CPS Issue, it is a neglagence issue..and a health issue. Physical abuse is not the only kind according the the law.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 01:01 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via MSN to tanyuh
I think you handled the situation perfectly, Brynn.. Wish I had a Mom as understanding and supportive as you!

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page