weight loss tips anyone anyone - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Send a message via AIM to Jaime Send a message via MSN to Jaime Send a message via Yahoo to Jaime
weight loss tips anyone anyone

Well, I used to be a very large girl. I was 235 pounds. I went on a low carb diet and took up biking and roller blading and lost 100 pounds and looked stunning in my wedding dress.

That was three years ago. Well, now, I'm married and I'm 155 pounds five foot three. 29 years old. I have gained 20 pounds in the three years because I had tried to go off the low carb diet and gained 20 back. I went back to low carbing and have been ever since. Unfortunatly, I haven't lost a pound. Now only that, the 20 that I gained all went to my belly and my butt.

Well, I thought I was doing everything right. I low carb but I do it the healthy way. I don't eat a lot of red meat and I stay away from full fat dressings and I eat tons of veggies. I have one of those sit up machines and I do three hundred sit ups a night five times a week. I also use bar bells almost every day and go on two mile runs three or four times a week. I don't have a car and I ride my bike all over the city. Problem is, I'm a big foodie. I love to eat and although I eat healthy, I eat like a man so I guess I have a body like one. I know that body image should not be this big a deal but honestly, its more than that to me. My father died at age 30 from heart disease. He was heavy as well. Thats one year older than I....and I want to live. I've got a geat life teaching music which I love, a wonderfuly lovely husband and the cutest cat in the world. I want to have kids one day and see them grow up. I would also like very much to fit my arm into a baby tee.

And I want off this **** low carb diet. I've been doing it for five years and although it's given me a sence of control, I haven't lost any weight receintly. This is what I propose:

Breakfast: Total Corn Flakes, 1 percent milk, 1 slice of whole wheat toast with smart balance spreat and a piece of fruit....I miss fruit!!!!

Lunch: 1 cup of light and fit yogart, one of those 100 calorie snack packs, and a piece of fruit

Dinner: frozen dinner for protion control(If I don't have it, I'll eat everything in site) and a protien bar

what do you think about that diet? Too little calories? Any advise is greatly appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 04:15 AM
Cool Cat

First of all... Congrats on the weight loss!!
I also went on a low carb diet last year and lost 70 pounds from April to December. And despite what the skeptics think it can definitely be healthy - vegies, lean meats and fish etc. My doctor is quite happy with the results.

but anyways.... on to your question.

Looking at your menu....
What happened to the vegies? Breakfast looks like a lot of carbs.... and in fact so does lunch. Even if you aren't going to do the "lo carb" thing - you need some sort of protein - tuna, olives, chicken, cheese, nuts - you know the protein foods.

And water... do you drink a lot of water? That helped me tremendously!! Also giving up caffeine and aspartame.

Sometimes you get on that plateau where nothing is happening, but hang in there. If the low fat diet doesn't work, go back to the lowcarb one. Different diets work for different people.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you want some support or accountability.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 06:36 AM
Cat

In my opinion not everybody is meant to be "skinny".

Considering how much you exersize, I'm sure the carbs you are eating are getting used so I wouldn't worry about that.

Perhaps where you are now, give or take 5 lbs, is where your body is naturally.

If you are comfortable with your diet and feel good IMO you're fine. Relax and enjoy life. All bodies are different.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Send a message via AIM to Jaime Send a message via MSN to Jaime Send a message via Yahoo to Jaime
I think maybe I'll just stick to low carbing. I just get frusterated sometimes. I like all the protien and it builds mussles. Maybe I'm just meant to be a little bigger which is okay. i absolutly hate water though and only drink it when I work out. Congrads on losing the 70 lbs. Doesn't it feel great? And yes, the low carb diet does work. I think I'm going to look into the south beach diet which is kinda low carb but you can eat fruit.

This is what my menu looks like for today

Breakfast: Coffee with cream and a protien bar

Lunch: Tuna and light mayo on a low carb wrap with veggies

Dinner: Turkey tacos!!!(love em) with low carb wraps and salsa and shreaded cheese with string beans and a proten bar

Peanuts as a snack

Since I ran two miles last night, I'll just do crunches, leg lifts, and the bar bells tonight for 45 min. My goal is to run a 5k race at the end of this oct to raise money for kids with cancer at liberty state park.

For me, I think it's really about toning. I don't really mind if I don't lose a lot more but you know that it takes time to lose all the loose flesh.
Unfortunatly, when I lost all that weight, I didn't work out so I'm hanging if you know what I mean.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I think maybe I'll just stick to low carbing. I just get frusterated sometimes. I like all the protien and it builds mussles. Maybe I'm just meant to be a little bigger which is okay. i absolutly hate water though and only drink it when I work out. Congrads on losing the 70 lbs. Doesn't it feel great? And yes, the low carb diet does work. I think I'm going to look into the south beach diet which is kinda low carb but you can eat fruit.

This is what my menu looks like for today

Breakfast: Coffee with cream and a protien bar

Lunch: Tuna and light mayo on a low carb wrap with veggies

Dinner: Turkey tacos!!!(love em) with low carb wraps and salsa and shreaded cheese with string beans and a proten bar

Peanuts as a snack

Since I ran two miles last night, I'll just do crunches, leg lifts, and the bar bells tonight for 45 min. My goal is to run a 5k race at the end of this oct to raise money for kids with cancer at liberty state park.

For me, I think it's really about toning. I don't really mind if I don't lose a lot more but you know that it takes time to lose all the loose flesh.
Unfortunatly, when I lost all that weight, I didn't work out so I'm hanging if you know what I mean.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 05:15 PM
Tom Cat

I have to agree with "cat whisperer" Water, water, water! It is the most valuable thing I have found in losing and maintaining desired weight. I don't fully understand how it works, but it does. I keep a huge insulated cup of it and sip it through the day: drinking 1/2 to 1 gallon in the course of 24 hours.

Other than that, just eating sensibly: avoiding fats and carbs; sweets (especially refined sugars) and keep eating the healthy stuff. Diet is such a misunderstood thing...you can't just "diet" and lose weight...well, you lose it but it is the change in habits and lifestyle that keeps it off. Some people do better on 4-6 small meals per day, rather than 3 meals. Also, if you have an irresistable craving, don't bare-knuckle it...feed it but only slightly! Say, if you are craving chocolate, don't go for a candy bar, but eat 3 chocolate chips. This way, it curbs that craving that, if left too long, will be a downfall.

I went from my max weight of 179 at the age of 21, and now weigh 120-125 at the age of 38. I lost it gradually, by making slow changes in my eating habits and now it is just second nature. If I have a craving, I will indulge it, but know that it is a small treat and not something I can do every day.

Good Luck! If you want to send me a p.m. feel free...I will be glad to offer any support I can! I know what the struggle feels like!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 03:17 PM
Cool Cat

What seems to work best for me is to eat only vegetables between breakfast and supper. I lost 16 lbs last summer about a 1/2 lbs a week. Unfortunately school interupted and this summer I was back up 14, when I started again. Down 4 now.

I am week alot too, especially if I exersize my appetite seem to go way up. Even just mowing the lawn can make me feel like I'm starving for a couple of days. I do like wind sprints for exersize, as jogging is to slow, and the equipment at the gym stresses my knees and ankles too much. I can't sleep on an empty stomach, and to get started in the morning takes a bit more.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 06:43 PM
Cat Addict

OK, here's my personal story:

I am 5'7" & currently weigh 120 lbs. I'd say about 5 yrs. ago I was up to 175 lbs. I lost it all without even trying.

First of all I almost entirely lost my taste for sweets ( it may or may not be due to the heart medications I'm currently on.)

I stopped smoking during my working hours & so I got really hungry during the day (missing the old hand to mouth action I suppose). I actually could eat at my desk all day long (which I just about did). I brought good food from home with me but usually added in vending machine snacks twice a day.

After eating all day, by the time I got home from work I was just not hungry enough to eat dinner or even to snack. Bottom line, I basically ate all day (without eating sweets or counting calories) but never ate anything after 4 PM.

All this happened "naturally". Whenever I used to go on actual diets before I always failed miserably because I was always "thinking" about food & not being able to eat it because I was dieting!

Side Note: My nephew just came home from Spain where he spent 5 weeks (for a college related class). David said he almost never saw an overweight person over there. He says the people there eat many times a day, throughout the day, in small portions (kinda like grazing all day).

Hmmmmmm, food for thought.

judy
"Where am I going and what am I doing in this handbasket?"
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 11:59 PM
Senior Cat

Hi there,

I am 42 years old and weigh 247 pounds. I stand 5'8" tall, and have a large bone structure. At one time I weighed in at 365 pounds. After visiting my doctor, I asked him how I could lose weight effectively and with my health in mind. (I have hypertension, and am on meds for high blood pressure).
His suggestion to me was to eat several small meals throughout the day. I started eating small portions about 6 times a day. I was also told to do a lot of walking. I walk everywhere now. I still have a ways to go to get to my ultimate goal weight (160pounds), but I am doing it. Another thing to keep in mind, is to eat your meals at the same time every day. This way your body isn't wondering when it is going to be fed next, and it will not store up as much fat for times when it doesn't think it is going to be fed.
I wish you all the best in your efforts, and remember, if you feel good about yourself, you will look good to yourself as well as to others.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 10:26 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
And water... do you drink a lot of water? That helped me tremendously!! Also giving up caffeine and aspartame.
Just curious, how did giving up aspartame help with weight loss? I am very interested in this, because I drink alot of diet soda.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page