It's amazing - college - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

It's amazing - college

I keep thinking about college - where I'm going to go and whatnot. I'm getting my bachelor's in Liberal Studies after this semester is over.

I've been batting around the idea of becoming a vet - since I was a little kid.

I keep talking myself out of it - because I think it would be too hard. Well, everyone tells me it is going to be very hard. And I'm not disagreeing with them either. I'm sure my classes are going to be a challenge. I keep trying to figure out what would be the easiest degree for me to get... and I've even looked at things that I could get - but I would be miserable doing... but I could do them.

And then I realize what an idiot I'm being - because I'm talking myself out of doing something that I've wanted to do - because it might be too hard for me to do it? I'm thinking to myself: won't I regret a decision like that for the rest of my life?

I've decided to stop being an idiot today - and really plan for this. I want to volunteer at a vets office (if that is possible) and at a shelter. I thought maybe I could donate a certain number of hours a week if they would take me. One of the professors at my university is a vetrinarian. So I might get to talk to him about what I'd like to do as well. One of my professors also liked the idea of me volunteering - she said it would break my heart a few times and see if I could handle it.

I would like to know if I could handle it before I went to school.

In the meantime - while I'm going to do my best to get my bachelors - and after that volunteer and take a biology and chem class. If all goes well, then I'll work to get all the requirements needed before I head into veterinary medicine.

Anyone else decide to scrap the easy way and decide to do what they really wanted? Or in the process of planning?

Aimee aka "Kitty"
"Not all who wander are lost." -Tolkien
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 02:13 PM
Tom Cat

I did the opposite and regret it immensely
I was an exceptional high school student, graduated in the top 10 of a class with nearly 600 students. I was offered a 4 year scholarship at Rice University in Houston, and was planning to become an m.d. But *ahem* I fell in love my h.s. senior year. I decided to get married instead of going to college. That marriage was miserable and it took me ten years to get out of it. I got two beautiful daughters as a result, so I have no regrets where that is concerned. I just regret having them so young and having married such an @$$. I am now remarried, my children are 18 and 14 and I am toying with the idea of going back to get a college degree. I just hope it isn't too late for me. I don't even have a clue what I would want to study. Definitely too late for that MD.

Follow your dreams! The harder you work, the better the rewards! Don't give up because you see it as overwhelming...it is a one-day-at-a-time experience, and you will grow slowly into it.

Learn from those who, like me, changed their dreams and took what seemed to be the "easy way out" at the time. You can do this!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 05:35 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Bryan, are you the one with the cat which got run over by a car as the result of your ex-husband?

My fiance has a 4.0 GPR and he is a computer science student. I kept telling him that he should go to graduate school...but I guess he still has his doubts.

I think graduate school is wonderful, but I don't get financial aid because my parents live in Taiwan...so I am always starving. I have been eating one meal a day lately and it is killing me.

I cannot imagine ANYBODY not going to school if they can get financial aid. American students are very blessed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 07:32 PM
Cat

Definitely go for it and give it a try. I majored in Legal Studies and minored in Political Science. Do I give a flying flip about either of those subjects? Not at all. Do I wish I had clearer vision and went with something that interested me like being creative or animals? You bet! I now work at a law office and wish wish wish I could figure out what else I want to do. Hopefully clarity will come one day before it is too late.

But I plead with you to follow your heart and not what everyone else says b/c I was the same way and people would say how hard things were and then I would chicken out and take the easy road. So what if it is hard? Was anything that ever came easy to you really worth it? If it isn't hard, you won't appreciate it as much. Plus, who is to say that just b/c it is hard work for someone else, that YOU won't enjoy it and find it absolutely stimulating?

So, go for it! You have nothing to lose and a lot to gain from it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 04:21 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to DylansMummy Send a message via MSN to DylansMummy Send a message via Yahoo to DylansMummy
I am doing my dream course/job - paediatric nursing. I plan to try and do my Honours when I finish in June 2006
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page