Mosquitos (have they changed?) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Mosquitos (have they changed?)

I've had a mosquito in my house the past 3 days & that little bugger has bit me more than a dozen times. When I get bit the bites itch like crazy, I get raised bumps & I scratch till I bleed. I finally got her tonite (only the females bite) only because I had the lights off in the living room with just the TV on & I saw her flying around me.

Anyway, I distinctly remember when I was a kid the mosquitos were a lot larger then the current ones are & they used to always buzz around your head & you could hear their buzzing around your ears. You could always feel the bites too so at least you "knew" when you being bitten & could then slap at them.

This species is much smaller, you can't feel the bite, they don't make noise (that I know of) and don't buzz around your head.

Could this be part of the evolution process?

Just wondering (as I sit here furiously scratching my bumps).

judy
"Where am I going and what am I doing in this handbasket?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 04:25 AM
Tom Cat

In PA they are small too..But in Jersey..wowsers they arent called "jersey bombers" for nutin..those suckers are huge!

~*Monique*~ (Mom to many)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 05:02 AM
Premier Cat

When I was in Gran Canaria a few years ago I remember them buzzing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 08:21 AM
Jr. Cat

Well, down here in Florida they buzz, don't buzz, big, small, and are infected with "West Nile Disease" or "Encephalitis". We have to be very, very careful. I just hate them, and they are everywhere. They will come around and give you a fine if they find standing water in something in your yard it is so bad here. I think the small ones buzz, and the big ones just hang around the walls and so forth, but I don't know. Come to think of it though, I haven't heard one in my ear like I use to when I was little. That's weird...

Amanda

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 08:40 AM
Cat Addict

They're versatile little buggers. In Ohio, I've had a heckuva time killing the few I've found, and I never feel it when they bite. Back in Minnesota, they're not nearly so sneaky. Of course, there are so dang many that they probably can't afford to be. Get in, bite, get out. No time for subversion.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Senior Cat

Maybe when we are young children they just look larger to us, and we have better hearing lol.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 12:58 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoeae
Maybe when we are young children they just look larger to us, and we have better hearing lol.
ROFL!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 03:05 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via AIM to alicia
I actually havent seen any this year, which is weird. I dont even remember how big they are here But, I used to get bitten by them all the time. When we went to Minnesota though, there was one trying to get through the window And it was huge!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page