I just totaled Patricks Car - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I just totaled Patricks Car

Were screwed, now we don't have a car. I was on the highway and going only like 4 miles over the speed limit, when the truck in front of me slammed on their brakes, except I didnt realise it at first because they only had one brake light. When I finally realised it I turned to hold Kiko back (Pats parents' black lab, he's 14 years old) then turned and realised that this guy was stopping FAST (all this happened within like 2 seconds) so I slammed the brakes as hard as I could but it was too late. The only thing I could think right before I hit them was "Oh crap i'm gonna ruin Patricks truck" Then I hit and the airbags went off and the hood got pushed up like 6 inches and the car stopped and turned off. Amazingly I wasn't whiplashed, the seat belt and airbags kept me from even moving an inch. I have a cut on my knee and burns on my arm from the airbags but other than that they said i'm fine. Oh and a mild case of shock.

Patricks brother was driving by like 60 seconds later, saw the accident and pulled over. I called Patrick as soon as I could talk again and he came out. Pats brother was a lifesaver. He was there and he hugged me and gave me water and made everything ok, it took Patrick an hour to get to me, if Tony hadn't been there I would have been a raving mess. Tony took Kiko to the emergency vet down the road (Kiko is fine, not even a scratch on him) and when all was said and done the police officer gave me a $85 ticket (cause Pat had the out of date insurance card in the car, we can get the fine waived if we go show them the right one).

If I hadn't been wearing my seatbelt I would have been toast, literally I KNOW I would have gone through the windshield. The truck I hit was one of those construction trucks, luckily they didnt have anyone in the back of the bed when I hit them like some construction trucks do. They all had their seatbelts on and noone was hurt. In fact their truck was unscratched. Patricks.....gone, totalled. The entire front end is indented into a V. Patrick is not happy about everything, neither am I, we just bought a house that costs a majority of our income each month, we barely had enough to do needed repairs as it is, and now we have no car. Sigh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 08:48 PM
Premier Cat

Oh Payge, I am so glad it wasn't any worse. (((((Big Hug))))

Things like that happen so fast. About a year ago I rear-ended the SUV in front of me with the truck (have since traded it in). I still can't tell you what the heck occured that I didn't stop. I was in a little bit of a hurry home to get ready to go somewhere after work. That is all it takes. Fortunately it was in town at very low speeds, just a little cosmetic damage.
Accidents happen, that's why they call them accidents.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 09:00 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
OMG! That is terrible. I'm glad you are ok. Good thing you were wearing your seat belt. I know, things definatley happen quick. There was one time we were going to Home Depot on nine mile & kelly (Michigan) & all of the sudden a car slammed into the side of us. I mean it was so quick we didn't even see it coming. Everyone was ok of course. Also, did the truck driver get a ticket for only one brake light? I mean none of this would probably not have happend if the truck had working backup lights. Well, more importantly, you're ok. I'm glad Kiko (hope I spelled it right ) was ok to. I'm also sorry about the truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payge
Amazingly I wasn't whiplashed, the seat belt and airbags kept me from even moving an inch.
Seatbelts & airbags sometimes are lifesavers. Sometimes airbags may do more damage though. Not sure. But you got lucky. It could have been worse.

So, what are you going to do now, been that you have no car?

*~*~*Megan*~*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I guess we are going to wait and see what the insurance company will do for us. We have State Farm, so I hope they are good and give us enough to buy a new car.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 09:14 PM
Tom Cat

I must say state farm is good, we have it also, my husband rear ended a lady nothing major happen they where waiting for a light and my husband was not paying attention and thought it was green, but state farm took care of the damage to her car and my husbands truck (which didnt have much damage)

The most important thing is that you are ok, cars can be replaced human life can not...

I hope all turns out well and you can get another car soon..

(((HUGS)))

~*Monique*~ (Mom to many)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 09:19 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via AIM to alicia
They do happen fast. Like 7 months ago my sister was taking me to school, and the night before I bet she was drinking, so she was probably hungover, so she probably wasnt that awake? So anyways, this intersection is horrible, and you cant see at all if somebody is coming if your going to turn because of the turning lane infront of you. So, she turned anyways and this car slammed into my side. I had to of blacked out because I dont remember anything except seeing it coming and feeling getting pushed, and then I opened my eyes and we were turned all the way around. So, it hit us, we spun around, and then the back of our car hit a truck. That was very scary, and I wasnt wearing my seatbelt. I was VERY lucky. I stayed in the seat, which I was suprised I didnt fly into the back, or even through the windshield. I just had scratches on my knees, and I hit my head on the window pretty hard and I had a headache for a couple days. Sorry you dont have a car. Hopefully everything will turn out ok! I'm glad you and Kiko are ok and nobody else got hurt
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 09:23 PM
Cat Addict

OMG Payge, I am SO glad you are okay. *HUGE HUGS*

I'm so sorry about the truck, I know how stressed out and upset the 2 of you must be. *MORE HUGS*
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 09:38 PM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cats&counting
The most important thing is that you are ok, cars can be replaced human life can not...

I hope all turns out well and you can get another car soon..

(((HUGS)))
Well said - I fully concur: you and Kiko are alive and well. Thank goodness for seatbelts and airbags - they saved your life and protected you from impact.

I hope the insurance portion is addressed quickly and that you're not left without a vehicle.

Good luck and please keep us updated.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 09:47 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ta3339
Payge,

I am so sorry this happened, but so glad you are ok. We have State Farm and they are great!!! you shouldn't have trouble getting the $$ from them!!

Good luck
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

We just talked to the insurance people. Best case scenario is its gonna cost us $500. Worst case is they have to total the car, we pay $500 + the amount leftover on our loan (were upside down on our car payments) which will probably be a couple thousand dollars. Worst case is the most likely scenario. At that point we will have to clean and paint our house and sell it, we won't be able to afford it. Good news there is its worth more than we paid for it now, bad news is after fees we will only come out even and wont have a place to live.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page