never say never, I can't believe it, Im reading HarryPotter! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

never say never, I can't believe it, Im reading HarryPotter!

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

someone tell me it isn't happening!! I finished book one last night, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone... and woke up first thing and zoomed up to the store to get the second book, this is insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure somewhere in my past I swore up and down that I would never read these books. However, the other day, desperate for a good read, I went out to the bookstore to find a good mystery. The bookstore was closed, so I went to a large retail store and saw Harry's book there, cheap, like $5.00 a piece. So I grabbed the first one and thought "ah heck, if I hate it, it's only $5.00"... well that was Sunday!!, and it's now Saturday, and I'm done with Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, LOL!!

It was a great book!! My boyfriend and family are baffled, LOL!!... quoting my sister "I would never think of you as a Harry Potter person, you surprised me with that one! Enjoy your book! I hear they are very addictive, too!"... yes sister, they are addictive, LOL!!

So I'm going out of town later this week through the weekend weekend and I bought book#2 and book#3 for my trip!!

This is crazy!! The Harry character is just out of this world... what great writing.

So, anyone else read these books?? No spoilers please, LOL!!

I never knew such love of animals until I got Jazzy, and now Sampson... what beautiful creatures we share this planet with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 07:25 PM
Cat Addict

Yep, I've read them, and the books just keep getting better, in my opinion. It's really enjoyable to watch the kids 'grow up', and the books evolve and progress as well.

Glad you gave them a shot!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphrodeia

Yep, I've read them, and the books just keep getting better, in my opinion. It's really enjoyable to watch the kids 'grow up', and the books evolve and progress as well.

thanks!!, yeah I had heard the books get better, especially the writing. A lady in line at the store today told me after this I should consider reading "Lord of the Rings!!", now that I will be shocked if I like... but after this surprise, I think I'll try it. Have you read those books??

I never knew such love of animals until I got Jazzy, and now Sampson... what beautiful creatures we share this planet with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 07:38 PM
Cat Addict

Big HP fan here!!!
You've got it good. I've had to wait a year for every new book since the 4th one. You can just zip through 1-6 if you like!!! But then you'll know the pain of waiting for the last one!

Jennifer and the monsters
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 08:36 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphrodeia

thanks!!, yeah I had heard the books get better, especially the writing. A lady in line at the store today told me after this I should consider reading "Lord of the Rings!!", now that I will be shocked if I like... but after this surprise, I think I'll try it. Have you read those books??
I've tried reading "Lord of the Rings", and I confess that it was too dense and dry for me. Tolkein is a brilliant storyteller, but his background is largely as a historian and linguist. The intricacy of his world and races is second to none, and his landscapes are stunning, but I wasn't as compelled as I'd hoped I would be. My husband is appalled that I didn't get into it. I'm such a disappointment to him.

If you find yourself at all interested in fantasy, I would recommend getting into something lighter, like the Riftwar saga (begins with a book called "Magician") by Raymond Feist, or the Shannara series (begins with "Sword of Shannara"), by Terry Brooks. Both of those authors are very accomplished in the genre, but the reading isn't so thick. Feist is a big favorite of mine.

But if you really dig the dense, darker writing, by all means, go with "Lord of the Rings"! It might be just your style.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 09:34 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to AllergyCat Send a message via Yahoo to AllergyCat
I just started reading them a few weeks ago as well.

And I'm on the fourth book today! I LOVE them! They are faboo! Really really enjoyable.

And see.....I LOVED the movies....never knew why I didn't read the books. So I started and I can't put them down!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 09:36 PM
Cat Addict

"Lord of the Rings", oh yeah, I slogged thru the whole trilogy in my twenties, just to see if I could do it. I didn't enjoy one minute of it either. It was way too much like........work.

I've read the first 2 Harry Potters & they were fun (lite). I'll have to remember to go to the library & get the 3rd one.

I remember reading the "Wizard of OZ" in my early adulthood & was thoroughly amazed at just how good it was. Just 'cause you've seen the Judy Garland movie doesn't mean you know the whole story. The books are always waaaaay better.

judy
"Where am I going and what am I doing in this handbasket?"
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 09:55 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie769
I remember reading the "Wizard of OZ" in my early adulthood & was thoroughly amazed at just how good it was. Just 'cause you've seen the Judy Garland movie doesn't mean you know the whole story. The books are always waaaaay better.
I've never read the book, but I understand that it was originally written as a satire on American society and capitalism. I'd have to look up all the symbology again, because I can't remember it, but it was just fascinating to hear about back in school. Almost made me want to go read it.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 08:17 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to CyberPet
When I saw the news (many years ago) a bout this JK Rawlings and her success about her book about a boy called Harry Potter I had to get a copy. So I bought it, read it in a translated verison (to Swedish) and I thought "Hey, this is good, bet it's even better in English"), so I picked up the book and then the second book that just had come out in English and since then I've been a Harry Potter fan and have had the agony like everyone else to wait for book 3, book 4, book 5 and book 6. Now I'm dying to know what will happen in book 7.

Enjoy your read, it'll just get better and better and in my view, the more you read the more you realize it's pretty much adult books.... at least I wouldn't want to get these books to kids in the same age as Harry. But if you read them over a 10 year time, yeah, that'll work better.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 01:01 PM
Banned

GREAT books! When the first one came out there were a bunch of religious groups against it because of the magic and stuff..so I picked it up to read to see what the fuss was all about. Now me, my boyfriend, and my sister are hooked.

They're great books and they get better as you go along -- enjoy!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page