*rant* My frustrating Vacuum cleaner! Any suggestions? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

*rant* My frustrating Vacuum cleaner! Any suggestions?

I have one of the Hoover Whirlwind vacuums, the imo over-priced) self-propelled model that works well, but I have a gripe with it that I am fed-up with!
I have very long hair, and even though it is still extremely thick, I shed worse than my cats do. (I have been to docs and dermatologists: no reason for it other than it could be my meds or it could just be genetic.) No matter how often I vacuum, I have to stop at least once after every room, and cut the matted hair that wraps around the bristles and beater bar. I doubt there is any way to 'fix' this, but if anyone has suggestions or similar experiences (regardless of the vacuum used) I would love to know if you have found a solution.

After 5 minutes or so, I can smell the burnt hair...uhg! Pain-in-the-butt! I have considered buying one of those infommercial "broom" products -I can't remember what it is called - if anyone knows what it is called, please tell me: it's the one with the rubber bristles that is supposed to pick-up human hair, pet hair, etc) I thought that I could use that first and then vacuum...hopefully gathering up all of the hair beforehand and avoiding the burned-hair smell and annoyance and time spent having to remove the hair several time during my vacuuming days.

It's also a pain because we have a house larger than I can easily care for, and it would take nearly daily vacuuming to get it done well and maintained. My health condition doesn't afford me that much energy, so I sometimes go a week or two without vacumming at all.

Thanks for listening to my rant/vent...and Super Thanks (!) to anyone who can offer any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 06:45 PM
Cat Addict

Well, I have long thick hair also and shed a lot. Plus the 2 cats and a lab and top it off with a Golden Retriever (talk about shedding).
I don't have that problem. I do have to stop at least once a room to empty the dirt chamber.
I don't think you should be getting the hair wrapped around the brush that badly if everything is working correctly.
Have you tried changing the belt. Usually changing the belt will help the brush function better.

As for the broom thing, I have one by a company called a Euro-shine
I think they work pretty well, but I usually use it AFTER vacuuming. I guess to use it before, you'd just "rake" your carpet, then pick up the hair.
It's only $10, so not a huge investment.
http://www.euroshine.net/

Jennifer and the monsters
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 09:23 PM
Cool Cat

Older Electrolux Discovery I got from my bro has a switch that vacuums without rotating the brush in the floor position. Maybe you could find or modify a used on to do this and then after you have taken up the worst of the hair with this one, vacuum again with your current one. Salvation army store here sells them $5, but you've got to check regularily as the good ones go fast.

I find if I don't vac at least once a week the cat hair really builds up fast. I've read somewhere that you should vacuum twice a week if you have cats. I just wish my cats would help out or get a job so I could stay home and vacuum more often.

Of course you also could get a haircut like mine. I get the 'Bert' as in "Ernie and Bert". Just a little sticking up at the top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

That's the broom I was thinking about. The one I saw on tv was called something else, but same thing: 2 for $10, or course, there is always the S&H catch. Not a bad deal overall, though. I keep hoping to find one at Walgreens or similar place (they usually seem to be the first stores to offer the "formerly sold only on tv" items).

Has anyone ever seen these (or similar) for sale at any particular store? No big deal to pay the $21 for two brooms, but if I can get just the one (all I need for now) for about $10 at a store, even better.

If no one tells me they have seen one at a store in the near future, though...I will go ahead and order. Thanks for the link!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 02:18 AM
Jr. Cat

We had the same problem with our former long hair and upright vacuums. Several years ago we bought a reconditioned Kirby that only lasted a couple years...our long hair burnt out its motor. It was a metal model and quite heavy, so we replaced it with a lightweight plastic Oreck. After a few years this too burnt out, so we opted for a canister by a different manufacturer.

Enter Miele canister - the Artico model, to be exact. It is perfect for our hardwood floors, oriental rugs, and pets. It is much more maneuverable than our former uprights. We did not upgrade to a powerbrush with aggressive brushing (canister version of an upright beater bar), which is useful for vacuuming broadloom carpeting; so, ours is suction only without any agitation. We purchased a HEPA filter and HEPA bags as well, and noticed a huge difference - all positive. Our vacuum is so quiet - we can hold a conversation in normal volume or answer the phone and still hear the person talk. We spent more than we intended, although I have seasonal allergies and we don't need to blow stuff all over the house every time we vacuum. We're real happy with it and hope it outlives our previous two brands.

A Dyson is supposed to be good for people with pets. I didn't want a beater bar and I think the Dyson has one. A true enemy of handknotted rugs is a vacuum with a beater bar (besides high thin heeled shoes and animals). We have handknotted rugs throughout our house and our fur kids abuse them enough, so we didn't want to further abuse them every time we vacuum.

We also cut our hair earlier this summer. Mine was hip length and is now above my shoulders. The spouse had mid-back length and now sports a military cut. Between our long hair and our pets, we were going through vacuum bags way too quick for our budget - and they are not cheap! Vacuum bags are a definite cash cow for vacuum manufacturers.

I really like the looks of that rubber broom. We have an array of brooms and I think we may be adding one of those to our selection. And yes, we use all our brooms in addition to our Miele vacuum.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 11:16 AM
Premier Cat

xilt...we have a Dyson.
There is a setting to turn the beater bar off.
I dont have long hair so hair hasnt been a problem.
That feature would allow you to go over the floor
without using a beater bar....

Oh I cant imagine it though....I have to beat the tar out of the carpet.
I hate carpet....its nasty and filthy....YUCK!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 11:23 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynn
That's the broom I was thinking about. The one I saw on tv was called something else, but same thing: 2 for $10, or course, there is always the S&H catch. Not a bad deal overall, though. I keep hoping to find one at Walgreens or similar place (they usually seem to be the first stores to offer the "formerly sold only on tv" items).

Has anyone ever seen these (or similar) for sale at any particular store? No big deal to pay the $21 for two brooms, but if I can get just the one (all I need for now) for about $10 at a store, even better.

If no one tells me they have seen one at a store in the near future, though...I will go ahead and order. Thanks for the link!
Go in on it with a friend or neighbor, then it's $5 per broom!!

Jennifer and the monsters
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 12:20 PM
Cool Cat

I have an older model from Amway called a Cleartrak. It is the most awesome vaccuum ever but I don't think it is made anymore.
It's an upright vac with a detachable canister and it is extremely powerful. It makes vaccuuming my favorite chore cuz I can see all the hair that is being sucked up.
It has a HEPA filter and another foam filter.

When I first moved into my place years ago, the carpets had been steam cleaned and before I moved everything in, I vacuumed and got out 2 canisters full of dirt and hair. EWWW!!!

So if you can find a used or refurbished one of those I would highly recommend it.

As for others I have heard good things about.....
Dyson DC14 Animal Vac - Best Buy has them.
Electrolux - I saw these demonstrated at a PetExpo and they seemed really good.

The main thing is that anything with a bag sucks - and I don't mean in the good way. The ones above use that cycloen technology and so not lose suction power, whereas a bag loses suction powere as it fills. Ones with that have a canister that can be emptied and a HEPA are the way to go. They cost more but they last forever!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 12:25 PM
Cool Cat

Re: *rant* My frustrating Vacuum cleaner! Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynn
I have considered buying one of those infommercial "broom" products -I can't remember what it is called - if anyone knows what it is called, please tell me: it's the one with the rubber bristles that is supposed to pick-up human hair, pet hair, etc)
I haven't seen the commercial but figured I could find it on As Seen on TV's website. www.asseenontv.com

Is this it?
http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/On ... =HOUSEHOLD
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Yeah, the Whirlwind is a bag vacuum, which I hate. I change the bags often...long before they need it because bags are cheap enough. The reason I went with this particular one is because it is self-propelled (I have a chronic pain syndrome so vacuuming is very hard for me).

We have a big house, 2 stories with an open loft, which could be considered an additional 1/2 story, in an odd way. We have a lot of carpet (My next house will be ONLY ceramic tile and hardwood...period!)

We have 3 full-time cats, one part-time cat, one full-time (and very messy) teenager, one part-time (and even messier!) adult/teen...one (the messiest of all!) husband who eats everything at the coffee table while keeping at least one hand on his laptop/mouse, and dropping crumbs everywhere, and has NEVER learned to take his shoes off at the door! I trained the kids and even their friends know this rule...but not my DH. *sigh* Of course, Then there is me: shedding handsful of hair daily. OH, and to make things worse: the carpet is dark Forest Green. Hmmm...beautiful when spotless. But? When was the last time it was spotless? I think that would be the summer of 1995...just before it was installed. Anyone know how well cat litter shows up on Forest Green? I could vacuum the area in the hall across from the laundry room/cat potty room 3x a day, and it would still look like someone set off a cat litter bomb there.

The Whirlwind wasn't cheap, by any means. We got it on sale (about 3 years ago?) and it was still almost $400. Thought it would be so awesome: just guide it and it goes on it own, right? LOL! Yeah, right! It's a heavy, pain-in-the-butt monster that I have to fight with constantly. I REALLY want something that is more versatile and easier to use and won't try to start a fire with the hair it collects on the beater brush. (In all honesty, I want a maid...but that request was turned down about the same time the request for a new vacuum was turned down).

Now, I have my gripe. My DH hired someone to come out weekly and maintain the pool. He hired someone to come out weekly and do the lawn, he hired a company to come out 9x a year and do all of the fertilizing, etc. But...since I am a "stay-at-home-mom" then I shouldn't need a maid, right? Well, right...but that doesn't mean I don't want some help! If only the human residents would clean up after themselves, my job would be 500% easier. I don't mind sweeping and vacuuming up the cat litter that gets scattered...the cats don't have opposable thumbs.

Ahhhh....sorry I got off-topic by ranting on my own *rant* topic. Sheesh. I'm bad about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page