Beauty secrets! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Send a message via AIM to Jaime Send a message via MSN to Jaime Send a message via Yahoo to Jaime
Beauty secrets!

Does anyone have any tips or beauty secrets they want to share?
I'll start.

When I apply my make-up, I use my fingers for everything including lipstick. Applying with my fingers gives me an more even and natural look. Yes, my hands get dirty but that's what soap is for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 11:43 PM
Premier Cat

I use Baking Soda mixed with warm water for
the perfect facial exfolliant.
Softens skin and sloughs off all dead skin cells!
Wonderful!
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 01:14 AM
Senior Cat

Preperation H chilled in the fridge to shrink the blood vessels that cause dark bags under the eyes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 02:43 AM
Tom Cat

I'd love to know a good home made beauty secret for the skin!

"Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't get eight cats to pull a sled through snow "
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 06:51 AM
Cat Addict

Cross-posting my comments from the cosmetic surgery thread - they're much more apt here.

I avoid sulfates in everything I use, which can be challenging, as they're standard in virtually all soaps, cleaners, cleansers, and shampoos. Sulfates (sodium laurel, sodium laureth, ammonium laurel, ammonium laureth) are terribly destructive to your skin and hair; they are intense drying agents, sucking the moisture out of what they're used on. Sulfates are why you get dry, flaky skin after doing dishes, and they're why so many of us need to use conditioner. Dryness contributes to tangles and breakage.

It's possible to find soap that doesn't contain any sulfates - just check the labels (many of these soaps will be advertised on the front label as 'milk and honey'). I can almost promise you that switching to one of these hand soaps will cut your need for lotion in half. It's brilliant.

There was a period of four months when I went no-shampoo, and my hair was unbelievable. It's naturally curly, but was usually reduced to frizz within two hours of getting out of the shower. It's because I was stripping all the moisture out of my hair, and curly hair needs even more moisture than straight. I found a conditioner without silicones (if you use a conditioner with silicone or dimethicone, you'll need a shampoo, because it will build up and get sticky over time - Suave Naturals conditioners have no silicone, and you can't beat the price), mixed up my own scrub of conditioner and brown sugar, and I used that every two or three days - no shampoo. Apply to hair, working in and massaging, let it sit for two minutes, then rinse with lukewarm or cool water. I had the most incredible ringlets ever. The brown sugar is more than sufficient to loosen dried skin, the water and conditioner clean the hair effectively, and the massage itself will stimulate the scalp and help keep it healthy.

The basic reason that people can do this and not walk around looking like a greaseball is that your body will cease the overproduction of oils when you stop stripping them from it. After about a week of feeling 'icky', during which time your body is realigning itself, your body will find a new balance.

I remember being very irritated over the shampoo/conditioner thing. It's such a racket... the shampoos have sulfates, which makes the hair tangle, so you need conditioner; the conditioners have silicones, which makes the hair gunky, so you need shampoo. It's maddening. It was oddly delightful to subvert the whole scheme.

So! Long post, but I'll wrap it up to say that if you have naturally curly hair that tends to frizz, going 'no-poo' might be just the thing for you. I never, ever would have believed it if I hadn't tried it, and now that I've gone back to using shampoo intermittently, I miss those lovely, bouncy ringlets.
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 10:10 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzkitty
I'd love to know a good home made beauty secret for the skin!
There are 2 really good ones mentioned right above you.

Aphrodia....the no shampoo step would take alot of courage.
Suave Naturals and brown sugar......Hmmm? I would think the brown sugar would just dissolve and be sticky.
Its weird you mentioned Dimethicone...I search for Dimethicone
it makes my hair perfect! Infusium23 Frizz control shampoo & cond.
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 11:21 AM
Cat Addict

For me, the idea of going without shampoo or soap or laundry detergent (other threat) is a little icky.
I have really thick curly hair and just 1 day of not shampooing leads to physical pain. Not to mention little scabs on my scalp. My hair is so thick that the air can't penetrate all the way down to my scalp.
I agree, the grocery store brand shampoo and conditioners are not great.
I've gone to the expensive stuff. Just like cat food, you get what you pay for. Plus don't use a blow-dryer for 5+ years also helps cut down on the frizzies
As far as soap. Homemade soap is much better and will seriously cut down on your lotion needs!! This coming from someone living in an arid climate

Jennifer

Jennifer and the monsters
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 11:25 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphrodeia
Cross-posting my comments from the cosmetic surgery thread - they're much more apt here.
Same here--here is my reply to the cosmetic surgery thread

When the University abruptedly terminated my stipend three months ago, I panicked and I cut my gas, my TV cable, and my phone service. I also cut all the soap and detergent usage in my life. I quit eating chocolate.

Three months had passed and my skin had NEVER looked more radiant. I love the new soap-free life (no pun intended) and leaving soap out of my life had made me a lot healthier and more beautiful. I have not had any acne since the beginning of the summer. The fine lines on my face and the bags under my eyes disappeared.

I don't miss any of those things. I will not re-introduce them into my life once I get my stipend again in September. My life is better without them.

P.S. My biggest other beauty secret is calendula oil. I put it in everything.

I also smooth my hair using very fragrant body lotion. For some reason, men prefer smelling fragrance on the hair.
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 11:47 AM
Cool Cat

Re: Beauty secrets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime
When I apply my make-up, I use my fingers for everything including lipstick.
Note from the Microbiologist:
Just make sure you don't stick your fingers in the product - use an applicator to get it on your fingers.
You don't EVEN want to know how much bacteria can get in your makeup if you dip your "clean" fingers in it.
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 12:13 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Do you guys know anything about "Multiple Chemical Sensitivity Syndrome" or MCS?

This is how I understand it (I could be wrong, of course...I am terrible with anything related with biochemistry):

"if a person is exposed to copious amounts of one chemical growing up, and all the sudden the person quits using the chemical cold-turkey for more than two months, the person can develop an immune response to the chemical for life".

I grew up in a hospital (my father was a doctor) so I was exposed to plenty of sodium lauryl sulfate and ethanol growing up. I quit using sodium lauryl sulfate and ethanol for two months. When I tried using them, I found out I am allergic to them. I will probably become allergic to them for life.

It kind of sucks, but then it probably saves me lots of $$$.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page