Upsetting Phone Call... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Upsetting Phone Call...

I never pick up the house phone but since it's about time for my bf to get off of work and he forgot his cell phone I picked up. Some guy asked if Dan lived here and I said no. Then he said if someone named Huy lived here. I said no and asked again what he wanted and he said he was from some bureau or something.

He can't even pronounce the name with his heavy thick accent and I ask to clarify the name in case he is talking about one of Thomas's friend named Huy. Then he says "Are you Lan"? I say no again. Well let's just put it this way....he starts saying I'm asking alot of questions for someone who does not live here. I say to him that I never said that I didn't live there, I merely told him those people didn't live here. (With attitude)

I get upset b/c I don't know who this guy thinks he is but then condescendingly talks to me that way and it's not exactly what he said, it's the way he said it too. So then I assume Thomas doesn't know him, get upset and tell him out of hurry "Look ok, don't be giving me no **** attitude". Then he says to me, "Oh is that proper English?" I didn't retort with what I was really going to say and just said "Go to ****" and hung up. He called back and I just ignored it.

I don't normally don't do this kind of thing but this really upset me. The one time I pick up the houseline!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 07:59 PM
Cat Addict

Probably a telemarketer
You said he had a thick accent. Any chance when he asked does Huy live there he was actually asking do YOU live there?

Jennifer and the monsters
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 08:07 PM
Cat Addict

I would say it was Dan's bill collector (whoever that is) -- they are real jerks! Do you have caller ID?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 08:08 PM
Cat Addict

Bill collectors can be very pushy. My brother is irresponsible, and for whatever reasons these companies have tracked me down looking for him.

I never give out any info.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I don't have caller ID and he never asked about who I was or if I lived there. I told my bf when he got home and I told him I hoped he didn't know these people b/c I said some bad things to them and he said he doesn't care if he did know these people and nobody talks to his baby that way and he's glad he didn't answer the phone! He's got a hot head sometimes, hehe. I let it go now but anyways what a looney
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 01:52 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat
he said he doesn't care if he did know these people and nobody talks to his baby that way
awwwww that is sweet!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 04:32 PM
Cat

There are people who call and just try to get information out of you. After a call like that I wait for the caller to call back and I answer "police hotline - how can I help you?" I usually hear a click .

The more people I meet the more I like my cat!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 10:58 PM
Tom Cat

I had an odd call a couple of days ago, with a recording stating something like "We have a very urgent message for someone at this number. We are not a sales company or telemarketer. It is vital that someone return this call at 877-###-#### as soon as possible. This is a toll free call, and I repeat that this is urgent, etc..."

Curious, I call the # and said that I had received a recorded message trying to reach someone at my number...

Operator: What is the number you are calling from
reply: if you don't know, I am not telling you.
Operator: Please hold (I held about 15 secs then hung up)
Hit redial: same Operator answered
Me: what is this all about and who is trying to reach whom?
Operator: is there a "sam *some name*" at this number?
Me: no
Operator: is there a "*some other weird name*" at this number?
Me: NO!
Operator: I'm sorry, I guess we have the wrong number, I will take you off of our list.

Since then, we keep getting these calls that show up as 999-999-9999 on the ID. I answer, get three quick "click" sounds and then it hangs up.

Anyone know what that is all about? Is the 999# a coincidence or did I just make a major stupid mistake and call to confirm with some scam artist that our # is a legitimate phone number?

I should have known better than to call...but was so **** curious! They did a good job of making it sound important. *NOTE TO SELF: "IF it is important...a REAL PERSON will call...NOT a recording!" DOH!!!
Won't do that again, now I just worry about what I may have done to compromise our phone/home/identities, etc....

If anyone has had this happens or has an idea what it is about, Please let me know!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 12:43 AM
Cat Addict

Brynn, I'm on the no call list and kept getting that same "This is not a sales or solicitation call" message at least once a day for a few weeks, so I decided to call them and threaten to turn them in.

Of course, it was a debt consolidation company that was for the person who had my number before. They took me off their list, and we didn't hear from them again. the 999# is probably a new company you'll have fun telling off...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page