9th grade advanced World Geography *edit: completed!* - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

9th grade advanced World Geography *edit: completed!*

My daughter has an assignment for her advanced World geography class: identify a recent natural disaster (within past 12 months ) and exhibit how the area has adapted as a result.

We need a web link, or some ideas for search/research...we have been working on this for days and are totally out of ideas.

Important: She cannot use the tsunami in Asia last December

This is an advanced class so it needs to be pretty involved. We are not able to get anywhere yet. I would be forever grateful to anything fellow member can suggest. We are lost and out ideas.

Thank you all SOOO much!

We got it! Thanks to all who helped!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 01:39 PM
Tom Cat

how about huricanes?

http://flhurricane.com/

http://www.csc.noaa.gov/hes/stormEffects.html

should be enough there for the last 12 months for something.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 01:47 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Well, there are two typhoons in Taiwan per year. It causes significant amount of damage in Taiwan.

Also, the Florida horricanes early this year/late last year were pretty devestating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 01:48 PM
Cat Addict

Well, I think SARS would be an easy one, although I think that was 2 years ago.
Also, the mudslides in CA were last year.
Or wildfires, those happen every summer.
Can it be in the US, or does it have to be somewhere else?

Jennifer and the monsters
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 01:49 PM
Jr. Cat

Has your daughter considered going to the public library and speaking with the resource librarian? I would think the research aspect (her own, that is) would be inherent to her assignment. Absolutely no offense meant Brynn, although you asking on her behalf doesn't teach her how to conduct research the old fashioned way. If she's already out of ideas after a couple/few days (with your help, no less), should she be enrolled in an advanced class? Also, has she asked her teacher for any tips? I think this would be the very first place to start since it was this person who assigned it to your daughter's class.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 01:51 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to DylansMummy Send a message via MSN to DylansMummy Send a message via Yahoo to DylansMummy
Try searching "Bostcastle flood" on google.

Bostcastle was a village that flooded last year and almost everything was totally destroyed and washed away. Before it happened it was a popular tourist village in Cornwall, UK. There are plenty of photos and news stories on it.

Hayley x x
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 01:56 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilt
Has your daughter considered going to the public library and speaking with the resource librarian? I would think the research aspect (her own, that is) would be inherent to her assignment. Absolutely no offense meant Brynn, although you asking on her behalf doesn't teach her how to conduct research the old fashioned way. If she's already out of ideas after a couple/few days (with your help, no less), should she be enrolled in an advanced class? Also, has she asked her teacher for any tips? I think this would be the very first place to start since it was this person who assigned it to your daughter's class.
All knowledge starts from the phrase 'I don't know'. I do not belive that asking someone is against the assignment at all, but encourages new ideas to be developed.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 02:00 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
9th grade world geography was actually pretty hard. I took the credit-by-examination exam for that class two times and I was never able to get those credits.

If only I could get those credits I would have gotten the Texas Education Grant...*sigh*....

I ate three years of ramen noodles in college because I made the stupid mistake of thinking world geography was easy and I could test out of it.

Never underestimate world geography.....(Brynn, your daughter is so lucky. I wished I had someone to help me through my assignments )
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thank you all for the ideas so far.

It can be anywhere in the world. She has been searching diligently for a while. The teacher explained this would be a difficult assignment.

She has now clarified something for me: she can use the tsunami if she can be specific. For example, one particular family that was affected or something along those lines. She is looking at using the upgrade to the early warning system for tsunami as a result of that particular incident.

We will continue to search...unfortunately, there is no library open on Sunday. She can turn it in late, but for a decreased grade. She had misunderstood the assignment in the beginning, thinking she just needed an example of a recent natural disaster, and used the earthquake in Japan last week. She is being given the opportunity to re-do it, as the teacher knows she was not as clear as she should have been on the assignment.

It is the adaptation that is important, and the time frame. It has to be in the last 12 months, that the disaster happened.

Thanks again to everyone. I wanted to post here because I knew that there were people from around the world who may be able to point us in the direction of something that didn't make the news headlines in the US.

Thanks again!
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 02:06 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ta3339
The FL hurricanes of last year should still be within a year.. i have pics of them if you want...

Charley, Ivan, Frances, Jeanne,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page