Artificial Nails - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Artificial Nails

I got my nails done at the salon yesterday, solar nails, you know the French manicure looking ones. I hate that feeling like my real nails hurt under there for the first few days but anyways, just wondering if anyone knows the real difference between all those solar nails, acrylic nails, gel nails, and silk wrap.

Also what do you guys think is a good tip for a $35 service? Is 15% tip good for a nail salon or should it be more or less
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 10:38 AM
Tom Cat

That sounds reasonable to me. I got solar nails done a while back, and I believe it was $35. I think I tipped $5. Hmmm...math isn't my strong point. It just seemed about right at the time.

I have since taken mine off. I got them refilled a couple of times, and the woman who did the fills was horrible and gouged my nails and cuticles. The original girl who did them went to a new salon and the woman wouldn't tell me where.

When I got ready to remove them, I bought the cheap "acrylic nail remover" from wal-mart and destroyed my natural nails in the process. If you get ready to remove them, get it done in a salon. I just didn't want to go back there: but 4 months later, they still haven't grown back in right.

I hope you enjoy them! I loved having them, just hated the woman who did them. Will probably get them re-done if I can find a good manicurist again...and if they ever get healthy enough again to allow it.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 12:44 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ta3339
I ge my nails done all the time.

Fills for me ar 13-15 depending on what i have done..

I tip between 2-4, depending on how they look!

Enjoy them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 02:50 PM
Tom Cat

The lady that was doing my solar fills charged me $32 for the fill alone (remember that the original nails was $35)! I knew I was being ripped-off, but don't know of any other salons close-by. Soon as I find a new salon that is reasonable and has a good manicurist - not to mention when my paper thin nails from my pitiful attempt to remove the old ones grow out long enough to "accept" solar tips and fills.

I loved them...but they did get in the way of my piano, calligraphy, art and, yes....typing. It took a bit of time to get used to, but I managed after a couple of weeks.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I love the French manicure look but have you ever gotten silk wrap or gel nails? I'm interested to know why it costs so much more
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 05:07 PM
Tom Cat

The salon I went to offered standard acrylics, which were about $18; they offered the upgraded quality pink and white acrylics (standard French manicure) which were around $22; and then talked me into going with the solar nails (best pink with white tips: top quality French manicure) which were $35. Fills for standards are $12; fills for P&W are $15 and *gasp* fills for solars were $32! I wasn't told the difference when I went in for my fill. I had originally gotten the mid-range P&W, so expected to pay about $15!

I would love to know more about the wraps, gels, etc. I would assume that gels are similar to acrylics...since the acrylics use a powder, dip it in a solution which creates a sort of gel, then shapes it with brush and finalizes with a dremel-like tool.

I have even considered getting a kit to do my own acrylics. The receptionist at my doc's office does her own, and they look nice, but I doubt I would be able to compete with her. Heck, I can barely paint my nails without painting the table, my shirt, my knuckles, etc.

I am anxious to hear what others have to say about the various types of nails.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 08:54 PM
Kitten

I've been getting my nails done for about 6 years now... I usually get pink/white acrylics and the fills cost $25. I've gotten silk nails before and they seemed WAY too 'soft/brittle' for me. I work retail and do a lot of lifting/re-arranging with my hands and the acrylics are what last the longest for me. I rarely break them and go about 2 - 3 weeks before I need a fill. Never gotten the gels before but hear they're not as tough as the acrylics, like the silks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 10:07 PM
Jr. Cat

WOW those prices seem very reasonable to me compared to prices here in Ohio. I am a hair designer which also includes a license to do nails.
The going rate for a new set of nails averages $60.00 and a balance (fill-in) averages $30.00. I did nails in addition to hair years ago but can't stand sitting long and the smell got so bad for me that I ended up working at a salon that doesn't do nails!!! I have Fibromyalgia and a strong chemical sensitivity.

As far as pricing goes for the different types.....certain applications require different products and some require more steps, hence more money spent on products. If it's new it's going to cost more at the introduction but as more companies come out with similar products the prices come down.

If you go to a nail ONLY salon the prices will be a little cheaper, they can buy more product in bulk and spread the savings to the customers. If you go to a full salon you will probably pay more as they don't go thru product as quickly. Also if you want expertise which includes speed of application you will pay more. Some of the girls I have worked with in the past could put a new set on and they looked gorgeous in 20 minutes, including polish, but they charged for that speed! Others would take upwards of an hour and a half.....who wants to sit that long for nails? Those girls charged less.

99.9% of natural nails become damaged in the process of artifical application. The damage comes from the prepping of the nails, the fact that the nails are covered and not receiving any air and the chemicals used in the process. Natural nails contain multiple layers, many are destroyed in the artifical nail application. They will be sore and thin until they grow out. Even with a professional acetone remover they will be thinner and sore, it's far better than picking at them to remove them as that will remove even more layers.

Susi
Owned by Silverbelle & Cami
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Thanks for all the info. I think I'm going to get the standard French manicure acrylic next time to see the real difference between that and solar. I'm enjoying my new nails, just hoping one doesn't break off
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 09:24 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat
Thanks for all the info. I think I'm going to get the standard French manicure acrylic next time to see the real difference between that and solar. I'm enjoying my new nails, just hoping one doesn't break off

I used to get my nails done, standard acrylic, but I really want to try and go a different route. I need to show off this gorgeous ring now, and I need nice nails to do it! My real nails are so weak and brittle, so a manicure won't work right. I think I might go with the pink/white french manicure next time, just to see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page