We are very bad cat parents - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

We are very bad cat parents

So yesterday, hubby and I had to run some errands. We were gone for a couple of hours. By the time we got back, it was raining HARD, thunder, lightning, wind, everything.
Hubby went in before me and I came in and he said, "Guess where the cats were?" We had left them out on the balcony! We let them out there to just sit and sniff the plants occassionally and we close the door so that the AC doesn't get let out. Well, I knew he had let them out before we left, but I assumed he had let them back in. He was rushing to get ready and forgot. I hate to think of our poor babies trying to get back in during the storm and not being able to.
The cats were okay after a short time, we got them dried off and they calmed down. We feel awful about it though.

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 06:49 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
My Jade always tries to run out of the apartment when it is raining. He loves ther rain.

Don't worry about that
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 06:50 PM
Tom Cat

Don't beat yourself up over it. They are okay, and dwelling on it will do nothing to help in anyway. We are all human and have all made mistakes. They have probably already forgotten about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 07:07 PM
Senior Cat

I know how you feel-I went to Housten for a week, and thought I had locked my boy kittie in the closet. Awful feeling, that.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 08:43 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via AIM to SammyO
We all do stupid things for time to time. Twice now I have left our bedroom window open on a windy day forgetting that the door slams shut. I have come home (10 hours later) and Tasha has been locked in the bedroom...without food, water or a litterbox!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 09:41 PM
Tom Cat

Okay, may as well admit my "bad kitty parent" episode.
We went out of town for five days. We set up litterboxes through the entire living area (living room; kitchen, laundry room) and made sure that all cats were accounted for and all other doors were closed. We had out several large bowls of dry food and several bowls of water...set the a/c to automatic to keep them at a good temp, left the radio on, left out plenty of toys, etc.

Just before leaving (as best we can figure) hubby ran back into the house and got something from the bedroom. Well, Meems either snuck in and the door closed behind him after hubby left, or hubby left it open and Meems accidentally locked himself in. He was in there for 5 days: no food, but he at least had access to water via the toilet (ewwww...it was clean, but still ewwwww!)

When we got home, we were met by jag and jazz, and they were both screaming like crazy. Called and called for Meems, who is usually first to greet us. Jag ran to our closed bedroom door and screamed, then I noticed Meems paw swatting under the door. Poor guy was sooo skinny, compared to how he looked 5 days earlier.

I looked around, thinking, "where did he go "potty"...no litterbox in here" and couldn't find ANYTHING...until we got ready for bed. Dumb me didn't realize that he would have no bowel movements due to no food, but he certainly pee'd a lot: all over our down comforter and brand new duvet and sheets...Yech! Especially after being on the road for 8 hours, exhausted and the bedding (and mattress) were saturated with cat urine. Phew! Good thing we have a sleeper sofa!

We certainly didn't blame Meems, but felt soooo bad. We took him to the vet the very next morning. The vet's response: this kitty is a bit overweight but fine other than that (He should see Meems now!)

So, that is MY guilty cat parent episode...it happens. The cats are no worse for the wear and he STILL likes to slip into my open closet and get locked in for the day...rotten cat!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 09:23 PM
Banned

Awww...I agree, don't beat yourself up over it, just give them extra lovin'!!

One time our office door accidentally got closed when we were gone...I think Tink got behind it and was playing and pushed it shut. Well she was like 2 months old at the time and FREAKED and was trying to get out under the door so badly that she cut her poor face, above her nose, between the eyes. She had that scar for months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page