My petty rant - bills & envelopes - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

My petty rant - bills & envelopes

I was just paying my monthly bills and a couple things struck me that always bug me. First of all, on all remittance stubs they have a box for you to fill in that says "Amount paid". I say LOOK AT THE CHECK, that's the amount paid.

Then I look at the top right corner of the envelope. "PLACE STAMP HERE. THE POST OFFICE WILL NOT DELIVER MAIL WITHOUT POSTAGE" All I can say to that is WELL DUH! It's a good thing is says that. I almost mailed all the bills without stamps thinking I could get away with it.

Just thought I'd rant about those kind of stupid things because I'm bored.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 12:02 AM
Tom Cat

Don't forget the payment books, which come without envelopes!

Then there are the instructions on the back of the included envelope:
Enclose proper payment payment amount
make sure delivery address shows through window
Please place a postage stamp in the upper right corner
Please include your return address
Please write your account number in the"memo" section
Please you sign your check...
etc.

Uhmmmm, lessee...what on earth do I do when I have to use my OWN envelope? GEEE I hope I didn't forget something!
I cant wait until all bills can be paid via Visa! Then, I only have to write one check a month AND get that whopping bous of 1% toward my insurance premium. It adds up...we skip at least 3 pemiums paymenta a month, and since we pay Visa in full every moth, not interest rate (Visa must hate us!)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

That's what I always do with my GM card. I get a 5% rebate on everything I purchase with the card and it goes toward a new car. I always pay off the balance monthly so there is no interest. When it comes to me they're losing money on the deal.

They make plenty of money off of others to make up for it though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 07:13 AM
Cool Cat

I actually hate something they don't do. Cingular always puts "amount due upon receipt". Just tell me when the bill is due!!! I have gotten late charges because I put off paying the bill, because they won't tell me when it is actually due.

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 08:38 AM
Cat

Well, I always hate it when the envelope the bill was sent in, must be carefully opened because it will be flipped over, turned inside out, etc so that it can be reused to send your payment in!! Whoever designed this? By the time I have fought with this envelope to open it neatly, I am just about ready to be committed!!!

Chris

Proud mother of 2 Human Boys and 1 Furry Female!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 08:41 AM
Banned

Add to that when the payment voucher is TOO BIG to fit in their envelope!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 09:29 AM
Tom Cat

Tim!

This is one of my favorites! DirecTV was one of THE worst about this: their perforation was slightly below the fold line, and when trying to tear the return portion via the perforation, It ALWAYS tore at the fold site, causing it not to fit. Then it is a frantic hunt for the "always missing" pair of scissors to fix it. Not enough paper to grab onto or fold over...just enough left there to make it "not fit".

Can't forget about the mortgage company! They stopped using the payment books and switched to a mail-out which looks exactly like the junk mail they send out several times a month. I (oops) must have accidentally shredded Aug bill , thinking it was more junk. I looked for it, then forgot about it. They don't send a reminder...just a last minute: "Pay within 5 days of date of letter". Even more annoying, they don't send out the statement for Sept until they receive Aug. pmt. I had been looking around the house for the last week for the Sept statement and couldn't find it.

Monday, I got a nasty note stating I had to pay via telephone: August mortgage amount; late fee; and telephone payment fee! I wanted to pay Sept at the same time, but they wouldn't allow it, it isn't due yet. I have to wait for them to send the Sept statement. If it is late, then I am in (what may be intentional) a cycle of late fees. Grrr! Hopefully, when I get the next statement I can send in two months and get caught back up...maybe I should just refinance.

Anyone know: What are the fixed interest rates on home loans atm?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 09:39 AM
Jr. Cat

My favorite is the "write account number on the check" bit.

I never do this because it wastes my time, and if the knuckleheads separate my check from the payment stub, then I'm the only one with an account at the address on that check anyway. They can look up my account number via my name or address.

Murphy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 10:31 AM
Tom Cat

Something I have always been curious/concerned about:

When you make your credit card payment, they insist you write your account number on the check. If this gets into the wrong hands, someone would have my checking acct info AND my credit card number.

Is it dangerous to write the cc# in the memo or am I being paranoid?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I always assumed that it's safe because someone would still need your expiration date and possibly the 3 numbers from the signature strip on the back of the card to be able to use the card number. I could be wrong.

How about those annoying ads they attach to the return envelope that you have to tear off before you can use the envelope. Petty but annoying.

Here's a good one from my quarterly water bill: "FAILURE TO RECEIVE BILL IS NO EXCUSE FOR NON-PAYMENT".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page