Finding a better way to sweep & mop...Any suggestions? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Finding a better way to sweep & mop...Any suggestions?

I would like some feedback from those of you who have tried various products that claim to make cleaning kitchen floors faster and easier.

I think Bissell or Swiffer makes a combo sweeper/vac, mop and squeegee. It vacuum/sweeps then uses a fluid-filled reservoir to power-mop. Flip it around to vac and squeegee dry. At least, that is what I "think" it's supposed to do. Anyone know what I am trying to think of? Better yet, anyone try anything along these lines?

When the first "Swiffer" broom came out, I got one, but wasn't impressed. I have a huge kitchen that is a combination of ceramic tile in one area and linoleum (yuck) in the other. The only way I have been able to get it "really" clean is by sweeping, using the vacuum attachments to clean the corners, under appliances and then get on my hands and knees with a bucket of water, cleanser, a hand brush and many rags and towels. Whew!

Does anyone have any recommendations for a floor cleaner that would make sweeping/mopping easier? Right now, I am just using the good old-fashioned angled broom and a decent quality "sponge mop"...with the occassional "knee to floor" scrub every few months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 10:59 AM
Cat Addict

My house is almost all tile floors. I use a shark rechargable vac to "sweep" every day. I use a different vac for my weekly floor cleanings that is more powerful. I use a plain old mop to mop though.

That flip it by bissell looks pretty cool though. It is supposed to be under $100. I'm considering trying that.

~Shelly~

Zoee, Zack, Lamar & Mateo's mom
and Khan my Pit Bull Terrier
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 11:18 AM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to TxnKats Send a message via MSN to TxnKats
I have a Hoover Floor Mate that either works as a vacuum on hard floors (wood, tiles, laminent, etc.), but also as a mop that sprays cleaning solution on the flood, the brushes clean it up, then you move the dial to vacuum up the liquid. I really like mine...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 11:29 AM
Cat Addict

I would love to find an easier method. We have hardwood floors throughout the main floor of our condo.

I sweep with a broom, then I Swiffer. Then I mop with cleaner (good ol' Pine Sol). Then I mop with fresh, hot water.

If I don't do each step, the floor just doesn't seem clean. Once a month, I get on my knees with a scrub brush to get every little crook, cranny, and corner. So tiring.

Tina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Tina, you have exhausted me just thinking about it

I'm going to try to take some time to look around on the "net" this afternoon and see what's out there.

Thanks for the info, everyone! I am on a mission, now.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 11:42 AM
Premier Cat

I LOVE my Hoover Floor Mate!

I have had it for several years already I dropped it twice and there are pieces of plastic broken on it but she still keeps working!
It does a fantastic job....although I do have to do the corners by hand every now and then.
It is a bit of work to take it all apart and clean the unit itself.
But once you get the hang of that it's not bad.....
it also took a little practice to get the hang of using it smoothly.
By my third time using it.....it is as effortless as vacuuming!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 11:58 AM

I have a Dyson and I vacuum the entire house. (We don't have any carpet). I despise sweeping.

My hubby mops the floors and he uses the old fashioned mop with wringer bucket.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 07:21 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
A better way to sweep and mop is to have lower standards
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 07:28 PM
Banned

I am to find myself agreeing with shengmei on something.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 07:42 PM
Premier Cat

Shengmei....that is why we got a dog!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page