Work Boo Boo - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Work Boo Boo

There was a funny list that I got in an email. I emailed it out to everyone in my Outlook at work. Actually I hit the button Group. I opened up Group and deleted my managers email and some Assistant Manager's name and some teller who doesn't even work there anymore.

Anyways I got an email from my manager Jennifer saying I cannot send out these kinds of emails and she had her manager's email address copied in there too.

Crap, I deleted the other girl Jennifer R. not Jennifer E. Jennifer E is my manager!

What does this mean? I'm not really into trouble but now I feel like they will maybe keep an eye on me, also that if I ever do this again they can have the right to get me into trouble since she already said this is a no no. If I would of deleted the right person, I would probably be able to email until I get caught and then be given a warning but now I've already used it up and maybe I'm under their keen eye now.

I don't really feel good now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 04:21 PM
Cat Addict

Most employers read company mail anyhow, so if I were you I would be a bit more careful about what you send and recieve from work.

If I were your boss I wouldn't be upset unless it happens again.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 04:44 PM
Cool Cat

oopsies! I did that once. I am really careful now! A foolproof way to not have that happen is to name all your personal contacts "personal" before their name. Personal Fred, Personal Linda, etc.....
I don't do that but I know someone that does.

Padunk is right tho - they can read your email and internet usage, etc...
At some places I have worked at, the manager could pull up your desktop on their computer and view exactly what you were doing.
Most places don't have a prob unless they are looking for a way to get rid of you and then they will use that since it's so trackable.

Try not to worry too much and go hug a cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I'm not too worried about it really but I will watch out next time. I won't be sending out anymore emails like that since I don't want to get fired. Btw, when companies read all of your emails, how do they go about doing that?

Do they sit down and read everything that is in front of them when they pull your file or do they just scan emails for certain words
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Where I work, every single piece of outside mail goes through MIS first and they have every right to read it (or so they say) before it is sent on to the receipient. I don't like that at all because sometimes my four sisters and I will send and reply to group emails between us and when it goes to MIS, it is red flagged as if it is a virus since it was sent to more than one person. Argh. Kinda frustrating BUT, it is COMPANY email property and should be intended for BUSINESS use only they say. I understand that, but I'm sure they don't mind if I email my mom asking if I can come over for dinner tonight or something.

Where my sister works, their policy is, Don't email anything that you woudln't mind seeing on the front of the Wall Street Journal! haha!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 06:01 PM
Tom Cat

My hubby told me a story about his former co-worker. They had options where they could send an email to everyone in their dept., add other depts, or send to the entire company (500+ employees, including the CEO, board of directors and owners, etc).

This was a fairly new employee and the group in his dept (IT) was very easy-going and all joked around with each other. He sent out an email that he was leaving early (he had a legitimate reason: a dr. appt., I think) but he jokingly said that the reason he was leaving early was because he met a hot babe during his lunch hour and was going to hook up with her and get "some".

He meant to send to the IT dept, but sent to the entire company! He immediately had his rights to send to anyone outside of IT removed.

It could be worse, right? I'm sure it will be okay. We all make boo-boo's, no need to beat yourself up about it. If we don't mess up, how do we learn what NOT to do? Good luck with it...try not to worry too much. It will soon be forgotten...someone else will do something more serious in the near future and then THAT person will be the one who is watched.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 06:16 PM
Banned

Computers are dangerous.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 06:59 PM
Banned

Is it me? Or are managers the worst offenders of corporate PC restrictions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat Whisperer

oopsies! I did that once. I am really careful now! A foolproof way to not have that happen is to name all your personal contacts "personal" before their name. Personal Fred, Personal Linda, etc.....
I don't do that but I know someone that does.
Of course, installing PGP and having your personal contacts do the same would prevent even the best IT pros from reading your email. But...I bet if they snooped on an encrypted email, they would go ballistic!

Quote:
Padunk is right tho - they can read your email and internet usage, etc...
At some places I have worked at, the manager could pull up your desktop on their computer and view exactly what you were doing.
Most places don't have a prob unless they are looking for a way to get rid of you and then they will use that since it's so trackable.
Sounds like they have Spector installed...

Quote:
Try not to worry too much and go hug a cat.
I agree. Kim, this sounds like a first offense situation. At most, I think the worst thing is that you will be written up. But more than likely, you will be given a friendly reminder not to do it again. No harm, no foul.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 01:32 AM
Cat Addict

The couple of places I worked had so-called policies that stated there was no personal e-mail allowed into or out of the work system. It was never enforced unless someone got carried away and sent an e-mail to an entire department or something like that. I was told the reason they didn't want this was because it clogs up an already busy e-mail server and they don't want it to get bogged down with non-company stuff.

My husband told me of a situation that happened recently where a lady was supposed to reply to a certain person with an e-mail regarding a religious statement and instead of hitting reply to sender she hit "reply to all." The e-mail went to every single person in her address book, which was the entire work system (a hospital with regional satellites), with somewhere between 1500 and 1600 computers. Needless to say, she got in trouble big time for that one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page