Another petty rant... cell phone voice mail - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Another petty rant... cell phone voice mail

Lately every cell phone I call and leave a message at has this annoying message after the personal outgoing message "AT THE TONE, RECORD YOUR MESSAGE. TO END, PRESS STAR OR SIMPLY HANG UP."

Is this really necessary? How many people don't know to speak at the tone or to hang up once they are finished?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 05:10 PM

I guess there's an idiot out there somewhere or they wouldn't have to put that message on there.

Have you ever listened to the comedian James Gregory....he does this bit about stuff like that. It's hilarious.

I'm amazed at the stupidity that abounds sometimes!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I guess that's kind of like Bill Engvall's "Here's Your Sign" routine.

I'll have to check out James Gregory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 05:29 PM

You won't be sorry for checking out James Gregory...he's hilarious.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 06:23 PM
Tom Cat

It is done because some out of work "actress" had to make a living somehow...of course, they use a voice-alteration technique to make her sound like a computer.

I read a great story someone submitted in a magazine but I don't remember it very well. It started off with someone trying to call a company and getting a recording: "Your call is very important to us and will be answered shortly..." (You know the drill.) It progressed to: "if you hang up, I will have no choice but to return to being a telephone psychic (and then became more "adult in nature")....It was a page and a half of this woman's voice telling "the caller" about her misfortunes and begging the caller to stay on the line or the caller would be personally responsible for her horrible fate...the way it was written was very funny, imo.

It ended with: "Thank you for calling. Your call is very important to us. The current time is 5:02 pm. Our office hours are from 9am-5pm and we are currently closed. Please call back during normal business hours" *click*

I would love to find that article again...if I weren't such a considerate person, I would have torn out that page (It was in a magazine in my dentists' waiting room, though.)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 08:29 PM
Cat

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. I was just complaining about it to my boyfriend yesterday. I HATE it. I can't even turn it off of my own cell phone.

"Hello, you have reached xxx-xxx-xxxx, who is not currently available. If you would like to leave your number, press one. If you would like to leave a message, press two, or wait for the tone. Stay on the line for more options."

Every single stupid cell phone does it, after already listening to the person's message saying the EXACT same thing. It's like an extra minute of listening to someone's answering service. What's worse is that my new house phone answering machine does it now too. I think it's a cell phone company conspiracy to make people use up more minutes listening to answering machine messages.

I remedy it by not leaving voice mail messages for anyone, if I can help it. I just don't have the patience to sit an extra 30 seconds and listen to it. Luckily most people can see that I called through missed calls, or I can text them. I just wish I could turn it off on my own phone. If someone is clueless enough not to know how to use an answering service, then it's probably not someone I want to talk to anyway.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 09:12 PM
Premier Cat

Yup, I agree. I make a lot of phone calls and leave a lot of messages on voice mails and answering machines in the course of a day at work. I hate to think of the time that get wasted listening to this nonsense. What happened to "This is ___, leave a message."
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 09:22 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to Superkitties Send a message via MSN to Superkitties
Yes!! After I realized that from hearing other people's outgoing, I altered my own to just say my number, so it'll be shorter, and people don't have to hear the "leave me a msg" bit twice.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 01:46 AM
Senior Cat

it's kind of like the Chainsaw with a warning lable: When in operation don't attemt to stop the chain with hands or genitals
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra
it's kind of like the Chainsaw with a warning lable: When in operation don't attemt to stop the chain with hands or genitals
You know what's scary....somebody had to have tried to stop it with their genitals. That's usually why they put those labels on stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page