My cousin had her baby and now has heart problems... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Cat

My cousin had her baby and now has heart problems...

My cousin had a preemie about a week ago. She was 5 weeks early. My cousin had preclampsia and right before the baby was born her blood pressure was 185/140. That is stroke level. She eventually got it down and they released her to go home but kept the baby for close watch.

My cousin was put back in the hospital. Early yesterday she had trouble breathing and they took her to the hospital, and her heart had swelled up. They thought they are going to have to replace a valve in her heart. They were going to transfer her and the baby to Centennial Medical Center.

They never ended up moving her to Centennial. She does not have to have the surgery at this time, but her heart has some pretty bad damage. They may end up having to put her on a heart transplant list, but that is not the case at this time. The doctor can not get her blood pressure down though, she is still at stroke / heart attack level. After they took her off the magnesium drip her blood pressure shot right back up really high. She is in Intensive Care right now and will be there for a while because the doctor says she is not out of the woods yet. She is going to have to take literally a handful of pills every day for a very long time, if not forever to repair her heart. The doctor also told her she would have to make a serious lifestyle change for the rest of her life.

Another thing, the baby gets to come home today. So, Michelle is stuck in the hospital and Josh has to take care of a preemie, his first baby ever, all by himself. Plus, they are in a jam, b/c he HAS to work so they can have money to make payments and stuff, and my aunt is in school and HAS to do her clinicals to graduate so she can get a job and she has been really tight on money, and Josh’s mom also works and can’t take off much time, and the baby is way too young to put in daycare, so they are in a jam as to what to do. Even when Michelle comes home, she can only feed the baby, that is it, because she could have a heart attack. Plus they had to learn baby CPR, because you have to know it if you have a preemie. Everyone should learn it anyway I guess. But that just adds to the scary factor of the situation.

If anyone has any suggestions, they would be much appreciated at this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 05:06 PM

I'm sorry that I can't offer you any advice. I want you to know that your family is in my thoughts.

Please keep us posted on how things are going.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thank you so much. Someone suggested that maybe their insurance would cover something like that since it was pretty much a necessity. I hope so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 06:05 PM
Tom Cat

I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions, but I want to send my best wishes and healing thoughts to everyone.

I do hope she will be okay, and that something can be worked out where the baby can be well cared for. It's all very sad...usually pre-eclampsia corrects itself immediately upon delivery. I hope she gets better soon.

Keep us posted! (hugs)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 08:55 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
How much are your cousin's parents able to help?

In Taiwan, grandparents raise the children.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Not a lot, because my aunt lost her job about a year ago and has been in school to be a medical assistant and my uncle is a fireman, so my aunt needs to do her clinicals to graduate soon so she can get a job because the have been strapped for money for a while now. My uncle will be able to help some, and I guess my aunt will every moment she can. Her husband's father passed away, and his mother works, but she may be able to help out some. I am hoping their insurance will cover someone to help them out for a while.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 01:20 AM
Senior Cat

My suggestion is temporarily hiring a Nanny, call around, lots of nanny services have levels of nannies and can work out a payment plan for however long you need one
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 03:06 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to DylansMummy Send a message via MSN to DylansMummy Send a message via Yahoo to DylansMummy
I am not sure what the situation is over there but in situations like this if there are concerns about how the family will cope then Social Services or a more appropriate organisation are called to see if they can help out. When I am not studying nursing I work for an agency that deals with things like this.

Some places offer things like help around the house, some offer full temporary day care. It just depends on what their staff are trained for.

Is there anyway you could ask the hospital for information on such services?

As for your cousin heart, unfortunately an enlarged heart is a common problem with high blood pressure. The heart and all the vessels need to enlarge to cope with the volume/pressure. If they did not the lungs would fill with fluid. The body tries to compensate for the problem but unfortunately when the BP changes the heart struggles to "shrink" back if you like.

I wish your cousin the best and hope that everything turns out well

Hayley xx
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Thank you so much everyone. I will let them know to check out what the hospital offers or says they can do. I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Cat

****UPDATE****

Here is an e-mail that I received from my aunt about my cousin:

Hello all! Thanks for all your prayers and calls. Just a note to update - Michelle is doing better. She is hoping to be moved to a regular room today and they have taken her off of the Nitro drip. Her blood pressure is running anywhere from 104 to 114 and that is a good thing. Her doctor wants it between 100 and 110 (top number) and her bottom number has been as low as 48 - I don't remember what he wants that number to be - anyway - she is currently taking 4 different blood pressure pill a day. Her heart rate is elevated but the doctor believes that is from the different medicines she is on and he is going to work on that. I have not seen the doctor since Wednesday but of course she and Josh have and I simply have to trust exactly what they tell me he said (and I do). Little Emmie Squirrel is going home today - so glad she is coming out of the hospital but absolutely breaks my heart for Michelle. I will be with Michelle while Josh goes to get Emma. That is it for now - again thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. Much love,
lvd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page