Theater this weekend = cell phones and critics. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Theater this weekend = cell phones and critics.

I went to see A Funny Thing happened on the Way to the Forum at the Flynn theater this weekend in Burington this weekend. I loved the movie sooo much and was very excited to see it live. Before the play started the host? reminded everyone to please check their cell phones as anyone who has a cell phone that rings will be attacked by Roman soldier and cast into the orchestra pit. Not 20 min into the play the people behind me had their cell phone ring. I just don't get it! Not only is it bad manners and completely uneccessary but we got a reminder! IF you are a doctor you could set it to vibrate at least. Then another set of people behind me during the intermission were talking about how they didn't think certain characters were living up to their part very well and they were just basically slamming the play. Everyone is entiltled to their own opinion but please discuss it after the show. They weren't even speaking at a normal level ...they were speaking veryloud. I agree certain parts could have been done differently but I didn't want to voice it publicly making other people feel bad.

My friend actually is in theater and she just finished up being the stage director for a play and I went with my boyfriend to her play along with the friend's boyfriend. After the show he was like "was I snoring, because I fell asleep" "That was the worst thing I ever saw" Then I went on to say that Sean and I enjoyed it very much and he was like "oh well I guess it is because I am from NYC" whatever that is supposed to mean. This wasn't a broadway play. I wouldn't be trash talking my boyfriends play if he was in one, or part of one.
Anyways....ugh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 08:44 PM
Cat Addict

The cell phone thing really gets me. I can't count how many recitals I've been at where phones have rung. SO FRUSTRATING.

The criticism thing doesn't bother me in the least, though. Performers know they're going to get it - it's expected. Everyone's going to have an opinion, and it's not always going to be favorable. It's part of the game, and those who are in the business (or are in it recreationally) should be prepared for it. Intermission is as good a time as any to be discussing it - much better than in their seats during the show. I'm not sure who you think they were making feel bad... the other attendees? How does it affect them?

Just my perspective as a performer.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

I hear your point. Although these people I think were trying to come off as superior ...it's hard to explain but like I said they were speaking abnormally loud and something about their tone. A few people next to me shot them some nasty looks or were rolling their eyes. I don't mind people discussing it between themselves but it's like they were trying to prove something to everyone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 09:37 AM

Cell phones in general bug the **** out of me. I will talk to my boyfriend when I'm at the store, but I always talk low and censor what I'm saying. I've been around people in the store who just talk so loud and go on and on about stuff that is no one else's business. And when I check out, I take the ear piece out and tell him to hold on...people who talk on their phone the whole time they're interacting with someone else are just plain rude.

And during a show -- that's disrespectful and uncalled for. I've been to the movies where people have ANSWERED their phones during the show. I think cell phones are great and very handy...but people don't know how to control themselves.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 12:29 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitu22
I hear your point. Although these people I think were trying to come off as superior ...it's hard to explain but like I said they were speaking abnormally loud and something about their tone. A few people next to me shot them some nasty looks or were rolling their eyes. I don't mind people discussing it between themselves but it's like they were trying to prove something to everyone else.
The cellphone thing really annoys me. It is just so rude of people!
The criticism thing doesn't bother me unless it is done in a snobby way. With the loud talking and the way you describe it, that sounds like the way in which they were acting and in that case I probably would have been annoyed as well.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 07:55 PM
Cool Cat

Some people use no social filter at all.

Shari
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Just today at the gym I had a guy plop down on a bike next to me and was blabbing very audibly on a cell phone. Just leave the thing in the car will ya!!! I don't want to hear your one ended conversation in my ear while I am trying to exercise. This summer I yelled at a guy for attempting to talk to someone on his cell phone at the top of a mountain. I thought mountain climbing was a means of escaping the hustle and bustle...getting back to nature. I see people around here talking on cells on their bikes, skateboards, cars, in line at the store, movie theater, gym etc etc. I just don't get it. I know in another thread people were talking about how smoking pot and driving is dangerous but I can't tell you how many times I've almost been hit by someone who is using their cell phone while driving. UGH!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page